Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Master Cylinders
Steelman

posted on 31/7/09 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Master Cylinders

Can any explain why you use the smaller 0.625" master cylinder to feed the front brakes and the 0.75" master cylinder to feed the rear brakes. I would have thought it was the opposite way round as there is more fluid in the 0.75" master cylinder
tomgregory2000

posted on 31/7/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
the smaller the m/c piston the more pressure you can apply but more travel is needed but less pressure is needed on the pedal

i hope this makes sense, ive had a few ciders and am typing with one eye

[Edited on 31/7/09 by tomgregory2000]

britishtrident

posted on 31/7/09 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steelman
Can any explain why you use the smaller 0.625" master cylinder to feed the front brakes and the 0.75" master cylinder to feed the rear brakes. I would have thought it was the opposite way round as there is more fluid in the 0.75" master cylinder

Normal to use 0.625 or 0.7 for both circuits unless you have over sized brakes on one circuit, in which case you change one master cylinder to give one step up or down in bore size.

ie going up one size step in master cylinder bore reduces
the braking. on that circuit.

Ideally you want the balance bar pivot bearing to be more or less central if you end up more than say 4 or 5 turns to one side then it is worth thinking about changing one of the cylinder sizes.

Normally a 7 style car with car engine will do about 66% of its braking via the front wheels about 33% from the rear, using Sierra calipers this would normally work out OK with equal sized cylinders.

Using 0.625 on the front and a 0.75" on the rear will result in fronts lock way too early.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.