Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any Traffic Police on Here
mad-butcher

posted on 1/8/09 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Any Traffic Police on Here

If so would appreciate some advice.
My driving licence covers me for a mini bus on the standard licence condition of not for hire or reward,
the company I work for has just got 2 mini busses in to bus workers from warrington to ellesmere port and are expecting me to drive one, I have objected on the grounds that by being paid by the company (not neccesserally to drive a mini bus) I am being rewarded for driving the mini bus. therefore jepordising my licence. I'm arguing it's a job for a psv holder I know it's open to interpretation.any ideas

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Toltec

posted on 1/8/09 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I think the reward is more to do with the passengers paying for the journey rather than you being paid.

Try dropping an email to the DVLA and asking for their interpretation, they have always answered within half a day whenever I have asked for clarification on something.

Flamez

posted on 1/8/09 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
does your licence allow you to drive a minbus? Later licences require a separate driving test.

my build mac1motorsports

mookaloid

posted on 1/8/09 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not in the police or anything but I do have a CPC in HGV management.

I was under the impression that for hire or reward was for fare paying passengers and for hiring for trips etc - coach trips or the like.

I don't believe that your scenario counts as for hire or reward.

try http://www.pepipoo.com/ they might be a good place to ask

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

goodall

posted on 1/8/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
well, it you dont want do it dont.
under health and safety if you dont feel confident operating machinery that you dont believe your qualified to use you shouldn't, so if do get stop/have accident you can claim from your employer, for taxis ete for the year you may lose your license. your line manager/boss should make sure with in the law not you, and if not then your employer two options employ someone to drive it or put you through your psv
my understanding from your description is your not qualified, so dont do it since you are concerned

however being awkward with employer means might not get xmas bonus or that promotion in 9 weeks time

not traffic cop or anything...

zilspeed

posted on 1/8/09 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Try contacting

Avoneer or K999nny

I believe they may be familiar with such matters.

deezee

posted on 1/8/09 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Tony, working in Ellesmere Port, our company recently had the same question. Except ours started about Tachographs and running our workers to and from an oil refinery. We promptly contacted VOSA and DVLA.

They both said its not a problem, as long as we displayed a notice saying the passengers are not paying, and the vehicle is a free service. This meant we didn't have to operate a tacho and we could use our normal licenses.

HTH

[Edited on 1/8/09 by deezee]

K999NNY

posted on 1/8/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
It refers to payment specifically for that journey (whether money or otherwise). I got put through my D1 courtesy of the police and used to drive them at work (before joining the traffic).
russbost

posted on 1/8/09 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
"well, it you dont want do it dont.
under health and safety if you dont feel confident operating machinery that you dont believe your qualified to use you shouldn't, so if do get stop/have accident you can claim from your employer, for taxis ete for the year you may lose your license. your line manager/boss should make sure with in the law not you, and if not then your employer two options employ someone to drive it or put you through your psv
my understanding from your description is your not qualified, so dont do it since you are concerned"
I've had employees with that attitude - I didn't tend to keep them very long - I have to say I'd consider that poor advice, particularly in the current climate - it's also the same type of attitude that has destroyed so much of our industry!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
DarrenW

posted on 1/8/09 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad-butcher
If so would appreciate some advice.
My driving licence covers me for a mini bus on the standard licence condition of not for hire or reward,
the company I work for has just got 2 mini busses in to bus workers from warrington to ellesmere port and are expecting me to drive one, I have objected on the grounds that by being paid by the company (not neccesserally to drive a mini bus) I am being rewarded for driving the mini bus. therefore jepordising my licence. I'm arguing it's a job for a psv holder I know it's open to interpretation.any ideas

tony

Ill swap you jobs gladly. It must be great to be employed currently. If you are qualified with std licence then i guess others are too. Assuming it doesnt contravene a DVLA rule then do it and get paid. If you dont feel comfortable then ask the company for some training but i couldnt in all honesty advise refusing unless you know your job is totally safe.

As above - if i was the boss id be looking for compliant employees at the mo.

Macbeast

posted on 2/8/09 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
I would say the "for reward" is an Insurance matter not licence.

My standard licence (admittedly had it for years ) includes B - motor cars or light vans with up to 8 passenger seats - and D1 - small passenger-carrying vehicles with 9 to 16 passenger seats.

[Edited on 2/8/09 by Macbeast]

mad-butcher

posted on 2/8/09 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice guys, I am lucky to have a job in this current economical climate. I work 6 nights on 2 nights off 2.30 am till 8.00 am delivering newspapers and magazines to shops and supermarkets. now you might think that's a secure job but don't you believe it newspaper and magazine sales over the past 6 months or so have dropped by about 40%. there's about 60 of us employed at the ellesmere port depot, we do have vacancies but they are for tacho drivers ie old licence holders like myself so it was a general enquiry for the depot.

tony

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.