Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: K-series 1.8 vvc/type 9 box
vinnie_b23

posted on 11/8/09 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
K-series 1.8 vvc/type 9 box

Im currently building a locost and have decided to go for the k series 1.8 vvc plant with a ford type 9 gearbox. Im looking for guidance on this combination i.e will i need a short or long shaft box, where can i get a bellhousing from. Has anybody already made one using this setup, if so, any tips would be great.
Humbug

posted on 12/8/09 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a 1.4 K series + Type 9. I got the stuff in between (ali bellhousing, clutch, etc.) from old Fisher Sportscars, who at the time were doing quite a few K series engined Furys.

GeoffT has a 1.8 K - may be worth a U2U to him.

mackei23b

posted on 12/8/09 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Titan motorsport do a bellhousing
britishtrident

posted on 12/8/09 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Might be better to go the ordinary K16 + throttlebody+head work and cams route than VVC.

Also the 1.8 isn't anything like as free revving as the smaller K series --- the K16 was designed as a 1.4 that could be easily stretched to 1.6 --- the 1.8 was an after thought that squeezed in the extra capacity but he head was still designed around the 1.4.

GeoffT

posted on 12/8/09 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
I'm using exactly the same setup as you're proposing, 1.8 VVC with a type 9. All done a while ago now, but from (fading...!) memory, here's what I used :-

Caterham bellhousing with a long shaft (V6) type 9. Had to trim approx 10mm off the end of the input shaft for it to all bolt up, but I think Caterham make a spacer which saves having to shorten the shaft. If you use this bellhousing you'll have to change the flywheel to a 10" one from the 1.4/1.6 k.

Caterham starter motor. I had to space this back from the bellhousing, again the Caterham spacer may make this unnecessary.

Clutch, this is where things get a bit hazy - I originally tried using the Rover pressure plate, but this threw up several problems. Eventually had a stroke of luck, and found that a Ford pressure plate I already had lying about was a perfect fit on the Rover flywheel. I think it was my original crossflow item, but it may have been the one from the early 1.6 Sierra (circa '84ish) with the 190mm clutch. The centre plate also came from this Sierra.

Finally the release bearing, I used the deeper Ford item, which I believe was fitted to one of the Capri variants, the part number CCT133 seems familiar here.

All sounds complicated, but once you get all the parts together it's a fairly straightforward bolt up job, other than the mod to the shaft. I've now done a couple of thousand miles or so on this setup without any problems.

[Edited on 12/8/09 by GeoffT]

Hammerhead

posted on 12/8/09 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
I have gone this route. Not started the engine yet but went with the setup geoffT has pretty much. The thing is I reckon this is an expensive installation.
Caterham bellhousing and starter motors aren't cheap, even with a second hand bellhousing. I also have the shortened caterham sump.

Not sure I'd go this route again if I was starting from scratch.

Cheers.
Steve.

Gary 7

posted on 12/8/09 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
I used a QED bellhousing this has the spacer cast on for using the v6 t9 box. ford transit clutch arm,caterham ap clutch and bearing.QED lightweight flywheel,caterham shallow sump and i adapted a reduction geared starter motor to fit with a QED starter mounting spacer.

I had a ford centred clutch plate and rover cover to start with but had some clutch slip when doing some quick starts,so went for the ap clutch good but not cheap.

dickie b

posted on 12/8/09 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I am currently building a Fury with a 1.8K and Type9 . I rather cheated as the whole lot was lifted lock-stock out of a Caterham 7.

In lumps on my garage floor at mo, so if you want meaurements or pics let me know.

P.S - Regarding cost.. I originally went hunting for the bellhousing to use with a 1.4 engine. Posted a 'wanted' ad on pistonheads and got four offers in just two days.

Prices were much lower than I was expecting too. I think that £50 was lowest I was offered one at from memory.

Good luck !

vinnie_b23

posted on 12/8/09 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the help guys. Great help. Let the fun begin!
Shandylegs

posted on 27/10/10 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
K Series - Type 9

Just come accross this thread.

I'm currently doing the same K Series onto Type 9 conversion (Going in a Midget) but I'm baulking at the cost of the clutch from Caterham.

Can anyone give a definitive answer as to which ford clutch is a direct fit to the Rover flywheel.

Parts used:
1.6 K Series engine
Caterham Bellhousing with V6 type 9 box

Thanks......

carboy0

posted on 8/4/12 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Only 17 months late in replying -

These are the part numbers that you need

MG Rover 1.4/1.6 Flywheel - pn PSD000410

Ford Motorcraft pn

6107844 ECD131 - Friction plate - 190mm diameter / 25.4mm / 23 spline input shaft

6107849 ECP122 - Clutch cover to match

6124270 ECB113 - Clutch release bearing to match

Quinton Hazell equivalent clurtch kit QKT152AF

It just so happens that I have abadoned such a conversion and have all new parts available on EBay this evening - see auctions

Rover K series 1.4/1.6 Flywheel New - suit Rover engine with Ford Type 9 gearbox | eBay

Ford Motorcraft 3 Part Clutch Kit - suit Ford or Rover K series Kit Car | eBay

Ford Type 9 Clutch Slave Base APC6B | eBay

[Edited on 8/4/12 by carboy0]

Chris
www.marinacoupe.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.