Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine & Gearbox 2
GrumpyOne

posted on 13/8/09 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Engine & Gearbox 2

Morning Peeps

Does anyone have any experiance of the early (1999) Jaguar 3.0ltr V6 engine as used in the S Type?
Is it reliable, what problems would I encounter using it in a Viento? What would I need to do to make the VVT work?
I am planning on using a Megasquirt, would I need the Jag ECU instead?

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Colin

My wife is very understanding, she understands that if I am in the garage I am not in the house annoying her.

speedyxjs

posted on 13/8/09 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Iv never heard of any problems with that engine. Seems to be just as reliable as the V8's.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Guinness

posted on 13/8/09 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
I'll be watching this thread with interest as that is my current engine / gearbox choice for replacing the Kwak in my Indy.

AFAIK Megasquirt can control the VVT, but only on / off rather than continously variable.

Mike

GrumpyOne

posted on 14/8/09 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness

AFAIK Megasquirt can control the VVT, but only on / off rather than continously variable.

Mike

Knowing nothing about VVT, how would that work and how would it effect the engine?

Colin

My wife is very understanding, she understands that if I am in the garage I am not in the house annoying her.

Guinness

posted on 14/8/09 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
I'm by no means an expert, just starting to look into it.

As I understand it, the variable valve timing is controlled by the ECU, via a pressurised oil circuit, which varies the cam timing dependant on lots of parameters, revs, emissions, temperature, grade of fuel etc.

Obviously this is beyond the capability of most aftermarket ECU's.

However, we usually forgo such things as economy, emissions etc for raw power..

So, some aftermarket ECU's have a switched output that is programmable. So you connect the switch to the soleniod that flips the cam timing, from mild to wild, and set the parameters to only open above say 3,000 rpm and on half throttle or more.

Dave Walker at Emerald has done some work with the VVT system on the K-series.

Coozer has the VVT Focus engine in his MNR and is running the valve timing through the megasquirt.

Mike

GrumpyOne

posted on 14/8/09 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
You are more of an expert than me that's for sure

I think I understand it a bit better now and from your post am am taking that although the engine might have VVT it is not necessary to make it run alright and I can use the Megasquirt to turn it on and off.
I didn't want to rush out and buy the engine if I couldn't make it work and the VVT was worrying me

Many thanks
Colin

Willie

posted on 17/8/09 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Its only the Jag engine that has VVT. The same engine in other applications (ST220) doesn't.

Some other applications have roller finger followers though, wereas the Jag has the, better, "Direct Acting Mechanical Bucket", which is a fancy way of saying "solid tappet". They do have shims on top however, so if you're for fitting mega mad cams, its advisable to fit shim under tappets, incase the thin shim on top breaks up.

I think the cams are all interchangeable, but don't know this for fact. I think the intake cams on the Jag are two piece, so its possible these could be replaced with solid cams from a 2.5, or 3.0 to get around the VVT issue...but you won't get the full 240bhp then. Catcams and Piper both do hot shafts for the Jag.

Willie

Willie

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.