Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Giving Up Driving
zilspeed

posted on 22/8/09 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Giving Up Driving

I now hate driving and am giving it up for ever.

There are too many clueless twats out there ruining it for me.

If anyone wants an old Golf GTI and a nearly finished Sylva, come round and pick them up.
I'll leave the shed open and you can take all my crap tools too.

(I had a much more wordy dissertation typed up on the subject but managed to delete it, so the above will do for now.)

Driving is no longer enjoyable.
Discus.

ashg

posted on 22/8/09 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
im setting off from kent now. See you in 5hours or more. Leave the keys out for me

on a serious note i drive a lot for work and see all sorts of stupid things happen most days.

I tend to avoid driving out of work in the evenings unless i can go through the lanes or a way that is not busy

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

designer

posted on 22/8/09 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
That's what Jody Scheckter said after leaving Ferrari, and he has never driven a car since.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
philw

posted on 22/8/09 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed

Discus.

I've just come back from an early morning blat and feel exactly the same, they do seem to get up earlier and earlier nowadays.

Must try harder

Dangle_kt

posted on 22/8/09 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
driving for pleasure if a hard one as you either need to drive into the middle of know where and hope no one else with a caravan has had the same idea, or just enjoy a stolen 5 minutes per hour where you can enjoy the roads when there is a clear patch, and grumble along the other 55 mins.

Combine crap drivers, with the way speed has been demonised, then throw into the mix the stupid noise rules which are crippling race tracks and it seems that sports cars are pretty useless machines...

that said, when it all comes together, either on track or on a clear road its a pretty good thing!

tomgregory2000

posted on 22/8/09 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
ill take the golf please
zilspeed

posted on 22/8/09 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
ill take the golf please

Nah, you wouldn't want it.
It's a MK3 8V, therefore the worst car in the world apparently.

[Edited on 22/8/09 by zilspeed]

Peteff

posted on 22/8/09 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
I was on my motorbike yesterday out in the country and enjoying the ride back from Matlock when I came round a bend on the top of a rise and nearly ran into the back of a Polo with two ladies sat in it enjoying the view, sphincter puckering stuff We live on a junction of a one way street so I only have to look out of the window to see stupidity at any time of day. At least three a day go the wrong way down the street, even when someone is waiting to pull out they force their way past them to go the wrong way.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Andi

posted on 22/8/09 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Nobody should be surprised by your statement.
This country is chocco, full, stuffed and rammed to bursting point with people and cars with woefully inadequate roads designed for a couple of horse and carts, and then when its possible to break 20mph they introduce the speed traps.
Then throw in the weather as an extra bonus.
New Zealand anybody??

Still, I think the fact that people are building these cars is a cry for motoring freedom in the first instance.

Humbug

posted on 22/8/09 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

If anyone wants an old Golf GTI and a nearly finished Sylva, come round and pick them up.
I'll leave the shed open and you can take all my crap tools too.

(I had a much more wordy dissertation typed up on the subject but managed to delete it, so the above will do for now.)

Driving is no longer enjoyable.
Discus.

Have you taken up athletics instead?

Steve Hignett

posted on 22/8/09 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
This is what you want...

tomgregory2000

posted on 22/8/09 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
ill take the golf please

Your right there
i was hoping it was a mk1 or mk2

BigFaceDave

posted on 22/8/09 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
I know what you mean, I live 23 miles from work and have a 14 year old white van with the same power of a modern ride on mower but I can still get to work in 25 mins at 5am, However i takes me 45-50+ mins to get home at 5.30pm everyday, I cant understand how people dont think that if you get overtaken by a old rusty van (which had 52bhp when it was new 193,000 mils ago!) struggles to get past (there is a 1mile straight bit - so perfectly safe I would just point out), how do these people not think "oh perhaps i should concentate on my driving rather than smoking,talking to my passenger,texting/talking on the phone,eating etc etc" I have had to give up Motorbikes and the general folk of norfolk seemed to want to murder me by simply pulling out on me or coming round the corner on my side of the road or just generally not having a clue!
zilspeed

posted on 22/8/09 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
ill take the golf please

Your right there

See, I told you.

tomgregory2000

posted on 22/8/09 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
ill take the golf please

Your right there

See, I told you.

But you did say it was old

SeaBass

posted on 22/8/09 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I guess there are advantages to living in the middle of nowhere where no one else wants to live.... but traffic is on the increase round these ere parts too!

JC

carpmart

posted on 22/8/09 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett

Is that free to collector?

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

JoelP

posted on 22/8/09 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
i quite enjoy driving in moderate traffic so long as there is a chance to make progress past them. Cant stand jams, and some idiot seems to crash every day.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

coozer

posted on 22/8/09 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
I have a lot of b & c roads round here that are either 60 or 30 in the villages. I hate it when some duffer does 40 in the 60's then doesn't change for the villages, so I go blasting past slow down at the 30 sign cause I'm terrified there'll be a plod with gun round the corner and the bastard behind comes up and sits 2" off my backend!

The way they do 40mph in the 30's round here I'm surprised they not all banned! But there again cop cars are very hard to spot round here, a bit like fit young things in short skirts.

Do you think being fat and wearing shell suits causes bad driving habits?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Richard Quinn

posted on 22/8/09 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
My Great Uncle was like that in his Austin 1100. 40 mph everywhere; motorways, dual carriageways, roundabouts, car parks, dirt tracks!!
BenB

posted on 22/8/09 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
I think the most dangerous "constant speed" drivers is people who drive at 70mph sitting in the middle lane of the motorway in torrential downpours when it's only safe to go 50mph.
A1

posted on 22/8/09 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
i agree, since the fun police and green 'people' (or in other words scum) have started having their way, driving for pleasure is harder to do, i always find myself having to watch for them so much i cant enjoy the drive. even if im not speeding, i think they target sportscars. however, we shouldnt give up, causee then theyll win, we should keep driving well, and more importantly keep enjoying it!
fingers crossed theyll find something else to penalise our freedom over...besides smoking, drinking, eating, speeding, swearing in public, making noise, driving...

Jasper

posted on 22/8/09 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
I'm feeling the same way at the moment, went out for an evening drive with a couple of mates last nite, most of the time sat at 40mph along packed country roads.

It was only on the drive home as it was getting dark that I found a superb fast twist empty road over the downs - 15 mins of fab driving for everything 5 hours sat in traffic - it's got so bad here in the SE I'm seriously considering not bothering with another sportscar when I sell this.

Gonna take up kite-surfing, at least there no problem with the sea getting overcrowded!!!

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Madinventions

posted on 22/8/09 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Just up the road from me there's a spot where the womble van sits at least once a week with it's camera pointing at you ready to give you 3 points. It's in a 30 limit, so I now make a point of going past in 1st or 2nd gear just to wake them up! Stupid, daft, pointless, but fun.

The other method I've used is to sit at exactly 30mph in the 30 limit which normally ends up with some tw@t in a rep-mobile sitting behind me (normally about 2" behind) until I get near the speed camera and then I pull over in a side road that is conveniently place just before the speed van. The rep then floors his right foot and shoots off past me to get snapped by the van. LMAO! Serves them right I think.

There's a lot of prats out there on the roads. The best solution is to ensure that you are legal at all times, and jsut enjoy the bits you can IMHO.

Ed.

oldtimer

posted on 22/8/09 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Agreed, it's just too busy. Switzerland seems to manage being a small country and still have fine driving roads, but we are probably more densely populated. Motorcycle is the only way to get reliable road fun these days and 60 on nice twisty A roads is still quite fun at times. To be honest I feel a bit stupid sitting in a sports car but stuck in a queue.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.