Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Renault Transaxle - Which Engines?
MakeEverything

posted on 31/8/09 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Renault Transaxle - Which Engines?

Does anyone know which engines will mate directly to the renault transaxle without the need for an adapter plate? IVe been looking all morning, and cant find anything.

The idea being, that if i can find a more powerful engine, i could look at a transplant if it will bolt straight on. I dont have the space to add to the length too much, hence the "No adapter plate" scenario.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

prawnabie

posted on 31/8/09 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
The UN1 has a small bellhousing that you will need to change iirc
Volvorsport

posted on 31/8/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
21 turbo engine , or a V6 turbo , any other will require an adaperplate or bellhousing .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

nitram38

posted on 31/8/09 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Are you talking 25 or 30 transaxle?
The Renault 30 V6?
A pants engine, but will fit the 30. Suffers from rattily timing chains.
The adapter plate set up adds 25mm to the length if you want to fit another engine.
I built a Mirage Countach in the late 80's and fitted a Rover V8 to a renault 30 transaxle. The plate was easy, but I had to use the heavier range rover flywheel to take up the thickness of the plate. The flywheel was lightened by 10kg and a renault clutch mated to it (the renault thrust bearing is too small for the rover cover plate hole in the center of the fingers).
Worked really well.
The Rover had a 214 cam, uprated followers and 4 barrel Holley Double pumper, so i know the clutch was good for 200bhp.

MakeEverything

posted on 31/8/09 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Im pretty sure the gearbox must be a 25 as i have the 2.2L (2165cc) engine and box straight out of a R25 i believe.

I dont have 25mm for an adapter plate at the moment, and i wanted to avoid moving the gearbox mounts and shafts as they are in the perfect place at the moment.

If i moved the box to the rear, that would give me the 25mm i need, but i only have about 30mm behind the box as it is!!

The ideal scenario would be the 2.0 turbo engine, as it is the same block as the 2.2 and has more valves etc. But, they are rocking horse shit, and i dont want to buy a whole car as i dont have the space!

[Edited on 31/8/09 by MakeEverything]

[Edited on 31/8/09 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Volvorsport

posted on 31/8/09 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
tbh 25mm backwards isnt a lot, we ran driveshafts at all sorts of angles on darrians .

PRV6 as used in volvos are actually pretty relaible if you pick on the later ones , they can make 300 orses with a single turbo and a shed load of torque - its also fitted to deloreans and alpines . it wouldnt be my first choice , but it aint that bad if you already have the gearbox to boot .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

orton1966

posted on 31/8/09 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec

I think I'm right in saying that there is an off the shelf bell housing you can get to mate with the Ford Duratec

Try:

http://www.brookecars.co.uk/online_shop.html

prawnabie

posted on 31/8/09 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Bear in mind that lotus practically re-engineered these boxes when fitting them in the europa etc, I wonder what the limit of the standard box it bhp wise?
orton1966

posted on 1/9/09 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Good basic box

Depends on the variant the UN1 (21 turbo) is well regarded and been used in many GT40, Lambo replicas linked to various V8’s. Also it is torque that kill gearboxes so the fact that it has been used on these gives reason for optimisum. One thing that does kill these (and other) boxes when fitted to different engines is poorly constructed i.e. inaccurate adaptor plates. These caouse small levels of misalignment between spigot bearing and the output-shaft placing extra loads on bearings, oil seals and generating possible vibration. Well done a good Renault box (UN1) should easily cope with 200bhp

p.s. I have a good UN1 box for sale if anyone is interested

[Edited on 1/9/09 by orton1966]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.