Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tintop Alloy Trouble
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 4/9/09 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Tintop Alloy Trouble

I have never owned a car with alloys before and am informed that my constant loss of around 0.5psi per day is due to porous wheels?!

Never heard of this before, is it true? Can you coat the alloys somehow to stop it?

I have had all the tyres off and the rims cleaned and refitted with new valves

Cheers

[Edited on 4/9/09 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

l0rd

posted on 4/9/09 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
I do not believe that you should be loosing so much pressure.

Might have slightly buckled wheels and the tyres is not 100% fit.

I have had such an issue in the past but after changing the alloys, never again.

200mph

posted on 4/9/09 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression you'd still get pressure drop due to the porosity of the rubber - anyone confirm?

0.5psi/day surprises me though as I haven't had anything like this over 10 years of alloy-wheeled cars.

Cheers

Mark

If it isn't broke, fix it until it is

thunderace

posted on 4/9/09 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
porous wheels?
i have the same problem with a new car i got the mrs i took the 18" alloys upgrade and found that they lost around 1-3 psi a week so i took the tyres off and spray painted the inside of the wheels with laqure and it solved the problem.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 4/9/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
its only 3 out of the 4 wheels. Will try laquering see if that does anything

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

aka Keith

posted on 4/9/09 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Laim, are the wheel nozzles made from rubber or metal.

I previsouly had a jap car with alloys and the nozzles were made from metal rather than rubber/plastic. I thought I had a slow puncture but after some investigations i found that the leaks was actually as the nozzle joined the rim - nothing I could about it, but keep an eye on the pressures.

r1_pete

posted on 4/9/09 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Its more than likely due to slight corrosion where the tyres bed up to the alloy. I was informed by a fitter there are different fitting lubes, some aren't 100% compatible with alloy, so the problem starts where the paint or laquer has chipped, allowing the lube to do its worse.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 4/9/09 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
One of the original wheels i had on my tintop that i am using on the locost, was losing about 4 psi per day. I took it to our local tyre fitter, thinking it was a slow puncture, but he said it was leaking from the rim.

He put some sealant stuff in it and its fine now

mark chandler

posted on 4/9/09 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Its common for the paint to lift allowing the air to sneak through, black rubber glop when they fit th etyre solves it.

It is a PITA when it happens

britishtrident

posted on 4/9/09 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
1 psi every 2 days is definitely not acceptable it is verging on dangerous.

Probably just leaking round the rim, normal procedure is to get the tyre beads knocked off the rim and apply loads and loads of tyre fitters soap to the bead sealing area of both the tyre and the wheel.

Failling if the rim is porus that laquering the bit of the wheel which is inside of the tyre will slow the leak down.

[Edited on 4/9/09 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 4/9/09 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aka Keith
Laim, are the wheel nozzles made from rubber or metal.

I previsouly had a jap car with alloys and the nozzles were made from metal rather than rubber/plastic. I thought I had a slow puncture but after some investigations i found that the leaks was actually as the nozzle joined the rim - nothing I could about it, but keep an eye on the pressures.

Fitting new valve stem units would have fixed it in 2 minutes -- rubber snap in or bolt in metal. Bolt in ones are available in anodised light alloy or chrome plate steel or brass.
Alloy ones are nNot exactly dear you will find them selling on ebay for small change.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

rusty nuts

posted on 4/9/09 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Common problem on alloys, I always use a wire brush in an angle grinder to clean the rim before fitting the tyre when the rim is corroded . Various sealants are available to tyre companies to coat the rim with before fitting the tyres. Unlikely to be available to general public though. Might be worth inflating the tyres to 50 psi or so , leave for an hour then reset pressures. The extra pressure sometimes helps seating the tyre better.
Danozeman

posted on 4/9/09 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
As rusty says above. Id get the tyres removed and clean the bead area up and get them fitted with bead sealer or loads of sealing tyre soap. Veyry common on alloys. Especially vauxhall and rover and old alloys.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.