Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: regarding dampers
ghuncha

posted on 8/9/09 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
regarding dampers

hello all
well the current status of my build is that i have fabricated a book chassis, the uprights i am using are of toyota liteace(only ones available to me), the engine is toyota 4age 20v. rear is a live axle.

now i have to get some dampers to finish up my suspension. a froind of myne is coming form uk so i have an opertunity to get the dampers.

now which one should i get,

linky

was considering these, are they any good, and what spring rate should i get, considering it will be a car engined, secondly the open and close length.

need to make decision fast, as my friend will be flying on 20th of this month

regards

ghuncha

posted on 8/9/09 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
further more any idea about the weight of 4 dampers with springs, as this is the most important factor when you are traveling by air
blakep82

posted on 8/9/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Gaz shocks are good if they weren't, these lot wouldn't use them

don't know about spring weights. but that looks a good price to me

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

speedyxjs

posted on 8/9/09 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
They are cheap

I think i will be getting my replacements there!

ghuncha

posted on 8/9/09 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
ok so the price and brand is ok

what about the open and close length and the spring rate

Canada EH!

posted on 8/9/09 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have Lotus 7 steel body GAZ shocks on the front of a 4 AGE powered book chassis,(Cortina uprights) and ali GAZ on the rear.
The steel ones are quite heavy (bought off ebay) the rears are very light.
They come nicely boxed of a size that would easily fit in a carry on bag.
If doing it again I would go for ali shocks both ends,

ghuncha

posted on 8/9/09 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
so are these allys? there is very little detail in the link, i think i will have to call them tomorrow.
ghuncha

posted on 8/9/09 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canada EH!
I have Lotus 7 steel body GAZ shocks on the front of a 4 AGE powered book chassis,(Cortina uprights) and ali GAZ on the rear.
The steel ones are quite heavy (bought off ebay) the rears are very light.
They come nicely boxed of a size that would easily fit in a carry on bag.
If doing it again I would go for ali shocks both ends,

btw what spring rates and damper size(open and close) are you running?

procomp

posted on 9/9/09 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

For best quality and valving use PROTECH. They come as standard in alloy unlike the GAZ or AVO.

For open lengths the rear will want to be 13" thats the standard fitment on all BOOK dimension rear ends. This gives the chassis a ground clearance of around 4 1/2" at the rear. If you require a higher ride height then use a 14" open length.
The front maybe slightly different using your uprights but the standard fitment for the front is 12 1/2". this give a ride height of around 4" at the front. again if you need to go higher then use a 13" this will allow a ride height of up to 5" under the front chassis.

For springs the rear will want to be 140LB if the car is driver only use and 160LB if mainly driver and passenger use. For the front try 300LB as a starting point.

If you are really wanting to use GAZ then buy them from Dampetech. They will specify valving to suit your application. Buying from any supplier who just keeps them on the shelf means they have general valving settings in them to cover many applications. IE not suitable for lightweight cars such as Kitcars.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 9/9/09 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
The Protech as mentioned by Matt really are lovely bits of kit.

I bought mine from MK, but I'm sure you can get them elsewhere.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

ghuncha

posted on 9/9/09 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
well now i feel i dont know anything about dampers...

as far as i thought vavling can be adjusted but the small knob.. :S

procomp

posted on 9/9/09 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

The small knob dose allow adjustment of the damping range. However the dampers that are generally supplied have a damping range that is more suited to a much heavier car Ie light saloon/ hatchback. And usually have a ratio of bump - rebound that is too high for applications such as 500-600Kg weight kitcars Etc.

By going through suppliers who are or employ damper engineers they can sort out a specification that will be more suited to your application and tell the damper manufacturers what specifications to build to. Hence suggesting Protech direct or Procomp ( myself ) for protechs. Or for GAZ use dampertech.

The majority of kitcars built are suffering with poor ride quality / handling due to the wrong specification of damper being fitted to there cars. Hence they are running on very low settings to get better results.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ghuncha

posted on 9/9/09 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
matt, you have a message

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.