Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why no choke valves ???
fuzzy!!

posted on 10/9/09 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Why no choke valves ???

why would a 32/36DGV have no choke valves and linkage? any legitimate reason other than b******ised for spares?

I have no clue about carbs

thx

RichardK

posted on 10/9/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Seemed quite a common mod to improve performance at the expense of cold start. I do understand though if you pump the pedal a few time prior to starting they are usually start ok.s

Rich

Cheer

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
robocog

posted on 10/9/09 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I took em off mine fairly early on

The Dave Vizzard book* told me to do it!

If its not needed to start the car ...its not needed and don't worry about it

You will have gained some extra flow and possibly more importantly a less disturbed entry through the carb's venturi where all the magic happens

*could have been the other Pinto tuning book rather than the Vizzard one
either way there was a plot of it on a flowbench with, without and with one with that area removed and reshaped with epoxy...more than likely to be Vizzard as he's pretty keen on flowbench graphs from what I recall

fuzzy!!

posted on 10/9/09 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Recently the good folk on the forum here recommended (100% to a man) that a manual choke carb had to be the one.

so...I now have a carb without a choke mech at all !!

past experience tells me that even if a carb is working perfectly the only reason it is doing so is through black magic and voodoo (my old mechanic father would never have agreed although I'm sure he practiced the art)

Anyhow, I think I'd want a choke mech - would it be too expensive to buy and rebuild (Weber 32/36DGV)

thanks

robocog

posted on 10/9/09 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Mine had autochoke originally and I fancied the idea of a manual one, but IIRC the only manual mech I saw was stupidly expensive for some bent metal and a cable

I did toy with the idea of making one, but as said above ...they start ok if you prod the accelerator a few times (as the accelerator jets will squirt extra fuel in) and as long as you are prepared to tickle n prod the throttle a bit to keep it running for a minute or so they really arent needed (for us Southerners anyway)

I eventually just ditched the whole choke mech (flap and spindle) after seeing the flowbench results in the eternal quest for more power (at least it didin't cost anything...unlike most other 'mods'

'Fastroadcars' on eBay will be a good starting place in your quest to find one (if theres no offers on here or voulenteers for helping to fabricate one)

Regards
Rob

snapper

posted on 10/9/09 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
In the dark ( and quickly disappearing) recesses of my memory i remember the removal of the choke butterflies as a cheap performance mod and the converting of the auto choke to manual as an mpg mod, the auto choke was water temp dependent but some times did not open or would close if the engine temp in cold weather and high speed got cold reducing mpg to single figures.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

blakep82

posted on 10/9/09 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
i guess if the valves aren't there it might give slightly better air flow... only slightly though. maybe less turbulence or something too.

was it a manual choke or one of the automatic water contrlled ones?

maybe the bi-metallic strip in the water thing wasn't working properly? and thats why the last owner did it?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

James

posted on 11/9/09 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
After I flattened the battery on my car by leaving the lights on I regretted having removed the choke as it made it so much harder to start!
Bump starting it became impossible!

So I re-fitted the choke PDQ.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.