Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: Tintop Brake Disc and Pad "Upgrades"
SeaBass

posted on 15/9/09 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
OT: Tintop Brake Disc and Pad "Upgrades"

The time has come to replace the front discs and pads on the daily driver.

I've been considering an 'upgrade' but every review I read tells a different story. Anyone used any EBC Green Stuff Pads.

I'd like better brake feel but don't want to go balls out to a race compound for obvious reasons. Any suggestions for pads discs that work??

Or should I spend my money on decent ATE OEM parts which seem cheap in comparison.

JC

tomgregory2000

posted on 15/9/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
I had some greenstuff pads fitted to my corrado and brembo max(i think thats what they were called) disc's

They were fantastic but that was 3 years ago and i think they have changed the compound now

paul the 6th

posted on 15/9/09 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
i fitted some greenstuffs to the missus' fiesta zetec-s tdci (07) and they were a fair improvement over standard.

I also use ebc HH sinterred pads in my suzuki sv1000 = fantastic improvement, much more initial bite & then lots of feel

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mookaloid

posted on 15/9/09 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I think a fair bit depends on what car it is

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

austin man

posted on 15/9/09 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
seen greenstuff on a an Indy , they stopped it on a tanner

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Ninehigh

posted on 15/9/09 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Not used them but I looked on tinternet when my tintop needed replacements and they were cheaper (including delivery) than Halfrauds!

If I can find the link I'll post it here

Yeah got it here , the Halfrauds ones were £54!

[Edited on 15/9/09 by Ninehigh]

speedyxjs

posted on 16/9/09 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
Iv been reccomended greenstuff pads for my tintop. I will be changing them over as soon as i have some money.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

alistairolsen

posted on 16/9/09 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
conversely to this post ive never heard good reports of greenstuff lol. The usual suspects are mintex 1144s and ferodo ds2500.

Personally if its a daily driver Id be going with oe spec mintex pads (red box) and some motorfactors disks.

My Build Thread

Rob Palin

posted on 16/9/09 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
I tried EBC RedStuff on my old Impreza and they were truly awful. Absolutely rubbish on the road and equally hopeless on track (so cold + hot).

I swapped them for the very expensive (£150ish) Pagid Blues and the difference was incredible. Pagid are pricey but their performance is in a different league. They didn't wear the discs as hard as I was warned, either (30k miles with no problems).

I use EBC Green Stuff on the race car, having also tried Ferodo DS2500 and Mintex 1144. The GreenStuff have been the best of the three, but I don't know how well they'd cope on a heavier car.

britishtrident

posted on 16/9/09 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Depends on the car for a road car generally stick to OEM quality pads --- ie first line pads, as with tyres brake friction manufacturers have first and second lines.

With discs it is generally round ones that work best --

Biggest single improvement you can make to brakes is to change the fluid every 2 years.

[Edited on 16/9/09 by britishtrident]

MikeRJ

posted on 16/9/09 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
conversely to this post ive never heard good reports of greenstuff lol. The usual suspects are mintex 1144s and ferodo ds2500.

The Greestuff pads are little better than most OEM pad materials, though quite a lot better than some of the crappy unbranded pads.

I will second the suggestion of the 1144 and DS2500, both excellent pads for fast road use with no cold braking problems. They are quite a bit more expensive than EBC pads, but you get what you pay for in this instance.

DRC INDY 7

posted on 18/9/09 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
ihave just fitted some greenstuff pads just need to try them now

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.