Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Winter storage of car and 888s
asl

posted on 20/9/09 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Winter storage of car and 888s

Hi all. Well it's getting to that time of year when I think about laying the old girl up!!

What should I do to the car prior to winter storage? Should I take the wheels off and put it on axle stands? When I bought the 888s there was a note on about storing them above x degrees C but can't remember what it was? Should I take the wheels off and store them in the loft where it should be a touch warmer than the gagrage?/

Cheers

zilspeed

posted on 20/9/09 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Stroing them out of direct light is also a good idea too.

My old Sylva had sat for years on its fully inflated tyres and they were deformed beyond use.
These were standard road tyres and I don't imagine that something like an R888 would even have stood up so well.

Get them off the car, stacked flat and wrapped in black bags in a warm dry place is my suggestion.

matt_claydon

posted on 20/9/09 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Here is the warning notice from Toyo that you refer to: http://marktg.toyotires.com/file/TireStorage.pdf
rusty nuts

posted on 20/9/09 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by asl
Hi all. Well it's getting to that time of year when I think about laying the old girl up!!

Cheers

Drive it all year round! but if you can't then follow Zils suggestion

David Jenkins

posted on 20/9/09 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
I love blatting around on dry winter's days - the car runs beautifully on cold air, very few sightseers on the roads, crystal-clear weather - terrific.

You do have to dress properly, though!

BenB

posted on 20/9/09 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
I sometimes drive more in the winter than I do in the summer

Certainly wakes me up on a short but sunny winters day and stops the tyres flat-spotting due to constant contact.

If you are going to lay it up I'd axle stand it (or use some tyre savers as found in the classics mags) and if possible put the battery on an optimate to keep it topped up.

MautoK

posted on 20/9/09 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Back in the Winter of '75-76 my only car OTR was a (the) Dellow Mk VI and recall long periods of crisp sunny days and driving miles and miles and miles just for the sake of it.
Nothing to do with tyres though.
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

Johneturbo

posted on 20/9/09 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I love blatting around on dry winter's days - the car runs beautifully on cold air, very few sightseers on the roads, crystal-clear weather - terrific.

You do have to dress properly, though!

Ditto plus cheaper trackdays are around in the winter months

nothing like a run out on a frosty sunny morning with less traffic

nick205

posted on 27/9/09 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for winter driving here

A good blast to work on a crisp sunny morning is a real treat - the engine just loves the cold air. Wrap up well - windproofs, snood/balaclava, gloves, thick socks and FF helmet and let everything including the tyres and road warm up before giving it to much right foot.

And no you don't need a heater, screen or hood

deano 777

posted on 5/10/09 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Another vote for winter driving here

A good blast to work on a crisp sunny morning is a real treat - the engine just loves the cold air. Wrap up well - windproofs, snood/balaclava, gloves, thick socks and FF helmet and let everything including the tyres and road warm up before giving it to much right foot.

And no you don't need a heater, screen or hood
Ditto that, i took mine out last boxing day and it was -3!! i love it!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
deano 777

posted on 5/10/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
if you are going to sit the car up, than make sure you have a good mix of anifreeze, turn the engine over by hand to keep things moving, and release the handbrake to prevent them from sticking on. Dean
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.