Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - 205s and Rose Tinted Glasses
cd.thomson

posted on 25/9/09 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
OT - 205s and Rose Tinted Glasses

I know some of you wish you could swap your boring family tintops for a 205 so I thought I'd share my trip over to work this morning with you to help bring back fond memories.

I decided to drive in rather than take the train so I could go out tonight, so bright and early in the (wintery) sunshine I headed out to my car. I hopped in, pulled the door shut and was about to set her in motion when the door slowly creaked open again, a couple of slams later it became apparent the door locking mechanism was playing up. Eventually after unlocking and locking the boot it fixed itself and I clambered aboard - secure.

Turning the key VYL immediately roared into life. Then just as rapidly stuttered out of it again. Restarting it I applied some of the good stuff and eventually she settled down to a steady 2k rpm idle.

Reversing out of the drive my windscreen began to steam up so I cranked the heater controls to 90 degrees past maximum, "feet only" and a quarter of the way up the heat dial (anymore and the knob falls out).

Putting the car into first to move myself from straddling two lanes the car promptly stalled, but after 8 more start-go-stalls she was back to full form.

Low on fuel (as usual when she drinks about 20mpg) I pulled into the petrol station and spent a frantic 5 minutes trying to release myself from the seat belt. After parting with my cash I returned to the car, unlocked it from the boot, and turned the ignition, the starter purred into life.. and that was it. On the fifth try VYL realised what I was after and the engine revved into action and at a lumpy 800 rpm idle.

The rest of the journey was smooth until a kind gentleman following me flashed me over to the side of the road and helpfully informed me my brake lights weren't working. He serenely drove on, and I decided to make the last dash to the carpark.

Unfortunately, however, VYL had gone to sleep and turning the key did absolutely nothing apart from turn the dash on and off. This was sorted by putting her in 4th and firmly taking her by the door frame and shaking her forcefully from side to side, which reactivated the engine bay.

I'm now about to head home from work early so I can get it in the garage with the minimum amount of risk to other drivers from my undetectable braking. At least it doesn't look like its going to rain, the sunroof basically operates as a sieve.

Bet you wish you could swap me for your sluggish, modern and expensive motors now don't you

Craig

SeaBass

posted on 25/9/09 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
That's like a comedy sketch...

whitestu

posted on 25/9/09 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic! Sounds a lot more fun than my Prius
speedyxjs

posted on 25/9/09 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote

That is why i love old cars.

You wouldnt get an eventful drive like that from these modern lumps

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

balidey

posted on 25/9/09 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Mine was never that bad, but I still want another
twybrow

posted on 25/9/09 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Now that is what you call 'character' - something lacking in modern cars!
morcus

posted on 25/9/09 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 205 as my first car which I replaced with a brand new top of the range Panda in may and I do at times still miss it. The 3 door 205 is such a beautifull shape.

I had an auto and when I started it I knew that until it was warmed up I could only use one direction, forward or back, as it would cut out and take alot of restarting (And who thought the auto choke was a good idea) I had to turn it round in entry ways and use nutreal to roll back, and often had to push it alot to stop it going out.

I only got read of it because things kept going on it and costing me time and money, the ignition amp was the last straw as it left me car less for a week and killed my radio, weirdly the amp seemed to be the only part stamped made in Germany.

I hope to one day have another one, a GTi or a Gentry maybe.

cd.thomson

posted on 25/9/09 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass

i wont tell you about me having to spend the night in my living room after trying to clean my room and having a severe allergic reaction then sometimes I swear I'm Mr Bean..

This is a 1.9 gti btw, I wouldn't put up with it otherwise! Its especially frustrating because to look at, its almost concourse.

I reaalllly want a sporty, modern diesel. I'd have one tomorrow if there wasnt so much left to spend on the kitcar before next summer!

[Edited on 25/9/09 by cd.thomson]

Craig

whitestu

posted on 25/9/09 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I reaalllly want a sporty, modern diesel.

Why?? I was going to get a Leon FR until I drove it. Diesel engines are just wrong in sporty cars.

Stu

blakep82

posted on 25/9/09 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass

did you get out and batter it with a branch from a tree?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

gazza285

posted on 25/9/09 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
My XR3 (no i) was much the same (sigh). Wondered why it always smelled of petrol, lad I bought it off never put more than a couple of quid in it, the filler tube had rusted completely off the tank. Found out when I tried to put £20 in it once, ended up in a big puddle of leaded.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 25/9/09 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
reminds me of my K reg 106 (I still call it mine - even if its really macspeedy's now )

I nearly didn't make it home once when the ingition amp died, the engine cut out at 70mph, complete with comedy puff of smoke from the clutch
but it managed to limp home and finaly gave up completly 20 yard from the garage

but mine was so simple that there wasn't much on it to break, I just seemed to cause alot more work for myself when I serviced it (like swapping the gearbox, only to find it was a wheel bearing all along )

-

fov

posted on 25/9/09 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
The bit I love with Pugs is when you drive in a spirited fashion over a hump or bridge they promptly head in to the under growth the other side as the rear suspension compresses.
cd.thomson

posted on 25/9/09 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
on a less humorous note, just got home after leaving work at 3 .

Electrical fault stopped the fuel pump.

I'm getting rid

Craig

MautoK

posted on 25/9/09 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
I had a G reg 1.6 GTi some years back. Loved it, except....

1. Stopped for petrol, filled the tank, paid, turned the key - lights on the dash but no start. The little Lucar terminal on the starter motor had broken due to corrosion.
2. Stopped outside the paper shop, bought a paper, turned the key - nothing, nothing at all. Deduced that the immobiliser was being bolshy so spent the next hour unplumbing it at the roadside to the accompaniment of suspicious glances from passers by.

Apart from that, great car.....oh, except for the heater matrix springing a leak; took the whole dashboard/console out and then realised it was actually quite easy to change with little disruption.
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

phelpsa

posted on 26/9/09 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
I'm lucky enough to be able to thrash my 205 where suitable and then trailer it home And to be fair in 2 seasons hillclimbing it's needed very little!

Don't you find that, as much as the 'frenchness' becomes irritating, everytime you find a nice twisty, empty piece of road you remember why you bought it in the first place? I certainly did with my AX GT. So much fun in the right place!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 26/9/09 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fov
The bit I love with Pugs is when you drive in a spirited fashion over a hump or bridge they promptly head in to the under growth the other side as the rear suspension compresses.

Decent rear shocks needed there... although they can make it a tad uncomfortable and don't completely solve the problem!

morcus

posted on 26/9/09 at 06:11 AM Reply With Quote
The best French cars have the ultimate cure for that, Citroen Hydronumatic suspension, great when it works.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.