Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil Temp Gauge / Sender
jeffw

posted on 28/9/09 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Oil Temp Gauge / Sender

What is the best way to fit a oil temp sender to a Silvertop 2.0l Zetec ? I have already got a oil pressure guage on a capillary.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 28/9/09 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Someone once suggested that if you didn't want to add a sandwich plate and remote filter housing/oil cooler etc. then you could always plug it into the sump in place of the plug? Not sure how accurate it would be or useful, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about it.

I've got the pressure unit screwed into the block, and wasn't planning on fitting an oil cooler, as apparently the zetec engines like to run warm oil - as such the temp guage for my digidash needs a home!

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd also be interested!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

ghuncha

posted on 28/9/09 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
i have the temp sensor in the sump of my tintop(nissan sunny, 2 liter diesel).. and i think its running fine.

i think you get the average pil temp from it...

though i am not using the sump drain plug as it faces downwards, and the sensor can be damaged...

bi22le

posted on 28/9/09 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
On my GSXR sump an extra thread was welded in when the sump mod was done. I got sensible temp readings and know this is a common place for it. The spade terminal did come off once though when I went over a speed hump so consider this!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

turbodisplay

posted on 28/9/09 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
If you have a remote oil filter or cooler, get an engineering company to make a block os steel or ali, drilled from end to end, each end tapped to accept a hose barb fitting. On the side drill a hole and tapped to thread of sensor.

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 28/9/09 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to fit it to the sump you can usually find drilled and tapped sump plugs for most engine types on ebay

Ebay item 220483959764

Might not be the ideal place for the sender but that wonn't matter once you establish the normal temperature for your engine.

[Edited on 28/9/09 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 28/9/09 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

jeffw

posted on 29/9/09 at 05:54 AM Reply With Quote
I'll get one of those...anyone know off the top of their head what the sump plug thread size is for a Raceline sump on a Silvertop Zetec ???

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.