Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hi, any builders on here who know anything about wall ties and lintels?
asl

posted on 8/10/09 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, any builders on here who know anything about wall ties and lintels?

Hi. I've just bought an investment property. The survey states that it needs wall ties and lintels above the windows.

My question is do I need to do it asap or can it wait a few years until I come round to selling it? I ask as the house was built in the 30s and hasn't fallen down yet.

I'm just trying to spread the cost but if it needs doing, it needs doing.

Can anyone recommend a company near manchester that could do it if required?

Cheers

Flamez

posted on 8/10/09 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
The mortgage company will probably hold monies back until work is complete.

my build mac1motorsports

JoelP

posted on 8/10/09 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
how bizarre! I have a house in bolton that needs a lintel changing - because its broken, not because its undersized or somesuch. A guy on this forum pointed me to a builder in the area, who was very good last time i used him, so i intend to call him about this one too. When i speak to him i'll ask if he does wall ties too?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

nick205

posted on 8/10/09 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
As above, I'd expect the mortgage lender to make it a condition of the loan if it's part of the survey.
asl

posted on 8/10/09 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. The mortgage company did hold back money but the valuer valued the property more than the purchase price by the retention figure!

So although there is a retention it did not affect the purchase.

Thanks Joel if you could that would be great!

rallyingden

posted on 8/10/09 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Wall ties is an easy job.
Remedial ties just involves drilling through the cavity and driving the tie home, it can be time consuming depending on area involved.

RD

MakeEverything

posted on 8/10/09 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Use steelwork. You can get steels that fit around the old lintel, and are held in place by the existing brickwork.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

asl

posted on 8/10/09 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
I think the problem is there are no lintels in at the moment.
BenB

posted on 8/10/09 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Putting in a stone lintel isn't necessarily a major job though it depends how big the opening is and what the structure above where the lintel should be is!!

I fabricated my own lintel (couldn't find the right shaped one with rain channel built in) and put it above my front door but it didn't have to be load majorly load bearing as there wasn't much of note above it. sounds like in your cases there is so it's probably a case for drilling through above the windows for acroprop fingers...

Puzzled

posted on 8/10/09 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Just a word of caution!!! Because it has"nt fallen down so far does"nt mean that it wont fall down tommorow.As you are now aware of the problem you have a "Duty Of Care" to your tennents.If something happens, and someone is injured, your Insurance Co. W I L L walk, if they see that you hav"nt done these remedial works.as required. If it were me, I"d certainly do them sooner rather than later. After all, now is the best time to get any building works done , because of the present climate..
flak monkey

posted on 8/10/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't a bad job, depening on whats above.

If its a supporting wall you'll need to prop the wall up as you put the lintel in using some ACRO props. You should be able to either rent some, or borrow some.

http://www.toptower.co.uk/builders_props.htm

You'll only need a couple either side.

Make sure the floor is solid before you put them in, if its boards you should really take them up. And if its upstairs you need to put an acro underneath on the ground floor too to support the floor.

Drill a load of closel spaced holes through the wall above where you want to put the lintel. Put steel pins through. Bolt a beam to either side using the pins and prop the beam up with an acro either side.

Whip out the bricks where the lintel will be, insert lintel and fix in.

Remove supports.

Job done.

David

[Edited on 8/10/09 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

asl

posted on 8/10/09 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Puzzled
Just a word of caution!!! Because it has"nt fallen down so far does"nt mean that it wont fall down tommorow.As you are now aware of the problem you have a "Duty Of Care" to your tennents.If something happens, and someone is injured, your Insurance Co. W I L L walk, if they see that you hav"nt done these remedial works.as required. If it were me, I"d certainly do them sooner rather than later. After all, now is the best time to get any building works done , because of the present climate..

Puzzled, bloody good point, well made!

Flak, seeing as you put it like that I will dust off my hammer and set to work (not, the house will fall down around my ears ) Cheers mate

Edited to say, flak your avatar is awesome!!!

[Edited on 8/10/09 by asl]

Puzzled

posted on 8/10/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Flak Monkey ----- Stick to cars-- If only it were that simple!!!!
flak monkey

posted on 8/10/09 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Obviously you arent helping much are you?

As always if you arent sure, dont do it yourself, get someone who knows what they are doing to help or do it for you.

I have helped do a couple using the method above and its been fine. Still need to understand what you are doing though.

Granted my explanation is basic and its a lot harder/more involved than it sounds, hence the prices builders will quote you to do it!

[Edited on 8/10/09 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

asl

posted on 8/10/09 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I think I will leave this to the experts! Thanks for the tips anyway Dave. Nathan
Puzzled

posted on 8/10/09 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Well I thought I made a helpful contribution!!!.Having been involved in the construction business for 42 years I have seen some very dangerous situations caused by WELL MEANING IDIOTS who , because they THINK they know how to handle structures,cause untold damage.On one occasion I helped pull two very badly injured men out of a collapsed building because they thought they could do this type of work with " A FEW ACROWS AND A FEW PINS". There are professional people, Engineers , Contractors , etc who would have a wry smile on their faces if they saw your "HELPFUL ADVICE." Stick with what you know, and leave potentially dangerous and risky works to those that are qualified to do it.
woodster

posted on 9/10/09 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
how bizarre! I have a house in bolton that needs a lintel changing - because its broken, not because its undersized or somesuch. A guy on this forum pointed me to a builder in the area, who was very good last time i used him, so i intend to call him about this one too. When i speak to him i'll ask if he does wall ties too?

that will be the leg end thats sir ge off taylor ........

JoelP

posted on 9/10/09 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodster
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

that will be the leg end thats sir ge off taylor ........

saw him today, he was amused at the state of the place... and some of my techinques

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.