Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PDA / Smart Phone recomendations
smart51

posted on 27/10/09 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
PDA / Smart Phone recomendations

I've decided I need a PDA after missing one too many appointments. Whilst I'm at it I want to replace the other things I often carry round with me - watch, pay as you go phone for very occasional use, iPod, camera. I know nothing about them and don't want to buy something to find out that another has a very useful feature.

What features should I look out for and what are not really worth having. Can you recommend makes and models to look at or avoid?

RickRick

posted on 27/10/09 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
any of the new windows 6.5 phones might be good, don't know how much you'd have to pay to avoid contract, but they have mobile office, sync with outlook including calender most have 2gb plus internal memort and take up to 16gb cards i think
Dangle_kt

posted on 27/10/09 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
iPhone. Nuff said
thefreak

posted on 27/10/09 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
iPhone. Nuff said

^^ what he said.
On my second now after upgrading from the 2G to the 3GS. Gave the missus the 2G one and she finds it loads better and easier to use than the old HTC she had.

smart51

posted on 27/10/09 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
The cheapest tariff for the iPhone is £30 per month. I probably pay that per year on pay as you go. That makes it V.Expensive.

Hellfire

posted on 27/10/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Orange UK has announced it'll offer the iPhone later this year, and Vodafone is set to offer it in early 2010. This increased competition should finally push down iPhone prices. Thus, if at all possible, hold off buying until the new prices are released.

Phil

fov

posted on 27/10/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
iPhone (but I disagree that it will get much cheaper - its already the most subsidised handset).
To get any PDA you wont be able to get anywhere near £30 per year.

mads

posted on 27/10/09 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
iPhone will be released by Orange on 10th November afaik. As hellfire has said, expect prices to drop significantly as there is an increase in market competition, particularly coming up to Christmas.

fov- iPhone is highly subsidised but tbh, apple are now getting towards making more money via iTunes for the apps for iPhone than the amount they get from operators for selling it.

[Edited on 27/10/09 by mads]

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

Howlor

posted on 27/10/09 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the IPhone, i've had quite a few PDA's / phones. I thought the HTC was pretty good but not a patch on the IPhone 3GS.

Steve

oliwb

posted on 27/10/09 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
iPhone....couldn't live without my 3gs.....

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DM

posted on 27/10/09 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
yep... iPhone!
JoaoCaldeira

posted on 27/10/09 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
HTC Diamond 2
It has everything and a lot more!
Brilliant screen, excelent audio, sync / backup to Outlook... tons of software

nitram38

posted on 28/10/09 at 03:35 AM Reply With Quote
iphone...........forget blackberry storm (piece of crap)

swanny

posted on 28/10/09 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
as an alternative i have a nokia e71, has word processing, pdf viewer, full sync with work email (also allows use of exchange server) so can get works emails when on the go. as well as decent camera/video etc expandable via memory card, and costs me 20quid poer month with free unlimited internet. i love it.
MikeR

posted on 28/10/09 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
18 quid a month, unlimited text, 500mb data, 500 min calls, nokia 5800. read this last night using wifi, read the site yesterday using 3.5g, also has edge.

Great little phone and the key thing for me, its smaller than the iphone. Also has some free gps to map / race track mapping / speed software which will integrate with a bluetooth connection to your ODB2 connection in the car!!!

iphones have huge amount of s/w for them tho (which is a plus)

Findlay234

posted on 28/10/09 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
iphone gets my vote, not had a blackberry but ive got an iphone and i absolutely love it... i feel its hampered though in standard un-jailbroken form by apples monopoly on apps. wouldnt happen if microsoft came up with it...
Jasper

posted on 28/10/09 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I'd seriously consider just buying a diary, if your missing appointments through lack of organisation then the chances of keeping a phone/PDA up to date is not great.

And they are nowehere near as easy to navigate that a regular diary/filofax, I tried it once and it was SO much more work getting them on a PDA than just writing it down. Diaries are also much easier to flick through and see things you need.

They often seem like time savers and a help with organisation - but often end up making things worse.

Sorry, not having a dig at you here, just being realistic.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

thefreak

posted on 28/10/09 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
I'd have to disagree with that, but then I work in IT and have done for the last 15 years (jeesus that long!) I find adding appointments to my iphone much easier than having to lug around a paper diary, as well as a phone. Plus it will sync to outlook and if I really wanted to I could share my diary with the missus on hers so if I want a weekend away with the lads there wont be any reason for her to say "but you never told me..."
smart51

posted on 28/10/09 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
I'd seriously consider just buying a diary

Paper diaries don't bing at you to remind you that you need to do something. THAT'S the trouble.

the iPhone is too expensive, I want something more mid-market. I'm thinking of:

Acer C530
Asus P320
Fujitsu N560
Palm Treo500

I want a calender, word and excel editing, camera and photo viewer, MP3, GPS and WiFi web and email, plus occasional PAYG phone and text. Sub £200.

thefreak

posted on 28/10/09 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
iPhone 2G?
flak monkey

posted on 28/10/09 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Bah iphone - solely a fashion accessory with loads of gimmicks which are mostly useless. Plus they are hooooge!

The HTC windows smart phones are damned good. Had them for a few years now. Currently on a Diamond which has built in GPS, wifi, etc etc and tilt sensors etc same as the iphone. But its about 2/3rds the size plus it runs windoze mobile so plugs in and sycs straight with outlook without any faffing or additional software needed. Also comes with MS excel, word, powerpoint etc installed.

Does most of what the iphone does without the price tag

The O2 xda's are all HTC phones rebadged.

[Edited on 28/10/09 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.