Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Need advice on Dewalt cordless drills
Frosty

posted on 2/11/09 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Need advice on Dewalt cordless drills

Right, Christmas is coming up and instead of jumpers and the like, a cordless drill is a lot more sensible.

So this one is around £70:
http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/DC740KA/

And this one is about £200:
http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/DC759KA/

I can't see a massive difference in spec though.

So a couple of questions? Other than extra torque, what are the advantages of going for the more expensive unit? Is the 13mm check just the maximum size of drill bit that can be fitted into the jaws?

Would the more expensive one drill more accurately and wobble less? Is 18v an advantage when what I just need something that drills and can drive screws?

Thanks for your help.

BenB

posted on 2/11/09 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
There's a big difference in performance between 12v drills and 18v drills. I was using a poxy 12v drill and upgraded to a 18v hitachi drill. Wow Makes such a difference. Okay, it's not just the volts that make the difference, the Hitachi is a much better drill and has a two speed gearbox than my old one. But still quite remarkable.

£200 for a 18v drill is quite expensive.

eznfrank

posted on 2/11/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
I've had an 18v DeWalt XR2 now for about 8 years and it's only just starting to die - batteries not keeping charge and losing a bit of torque.

It's seen me through 3 property renovations and the Indy. I think I paid around £350 for it but probably wouldn't pay that much again.

B&Q always seem to have them at a reduced price? Althoguh not sure about that specific model.

[Edited on 2/11/09 by eznfrank]

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 2/11/09 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
I got a DeWalt 18V cordless for my birthday the other week. I'm not sure what the model number is off the top of my head, but I know it's 18V, twin battery pack, and fast 1hr charger.

Was on offer in B&Q for £100! It's got 17 torque settings, hammer drill setting, and a neat little LED light by the trigger so you can see what you're drilling in the dark.

I think the difference between that and the model above is the battery - from memory, mine's a 1.3 Ah Li-On, whereas the next model up are NiCd 2.0 Ah. In basic terms, I think this means the battery will last for longer, and stores a bit more power.

Truth be told, with 2 batteries and a fast charger, can you justify the extra money? I'd check out Screwfix and Machine Mart, as they offer similar sales.

Currently B&Q have got a 2-piece Makita drill and driver combo pack, but it's only 12V so I'd pay a little bit extra and get the DeWalt single drill.

Only my opinion, and choice is yours! But I always work on the basis that you pay for what you get....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Confused but excited.

posted on 2/11/09 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with enzfrank on this one. If you want a DeWalt cordless the XRP2 is the one to go for. Not cheap by any stretch but an excellent piece of kit, with bags of torque. The 12v one wouldn't pull a rattle out if a baby's fist.
You get what you pay for.
I was going to do a group buy on corless drills. A mate was putting 18v jobbies out to the trade for £60 - retailling at £199.99. I got two for me and my eldest, but when I asked about a decent order he had sold out.
The first one I had (Xmas pressie) lasted 11 years before the clutch went and it had been beasted. It would also drive an 18v De Walt backwards.
So sorry guys, I should have been quicker.

[Edited on 2/11/09 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

roadrunner

posted on 2/11/09 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Makita are the best at the minute, i have an old Dewalt at home that I've had for years been ok for me. At the minute i have got Hitatchi twin pack 18v drill and driver,used every day as i am a carpenter, got em for £130 the set at Screw Fix they have an 18v Dewalt on offer at the moment for £100, best place for drills now if you can put up with the Argos style counter.
twybrow

posted on 2/11/09 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 14.4v DeWalt, and it has a lot more grunt than a cheaper 18v drill. so if you are only used to cheap drills, the torque these things kick out might surprise you. for me the 14.4v has never stalled, and fits the bill nicely as an all rounder. The only issue I have is that mine isn't a combi, so i still turn to the mains if I need a hammer drill.

all in all, I have been mighty impressed. It took nearly 3 months before I needed my first recharge!

fesycresy

posted on 2/11/09 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Watch the cheaper Dewalts, they are Black and Decker.

I've gone off Dewalts and onto Makita LXT's, much better, that's mostly what you see on site now.

Have a look on Screwfix, if you like anything u2u me and I'll give you a 10% discount code.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Irony

posted on 2/11/09 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
I have a 14.4v DeWalt, and it has a lot more grunt than a cheaper 18v drill. so if you are only used to cheap drills, the torque these things kick out might surprise you. for me the 14.4v has never stalled, and fits the bill nicely as an all rounder. The only issue I have is that mine isn't a combi, so i still turn to the mains if I need a hammer drill.

all in all, I have been mighty impressed. It took nearly 3 months before I needed my first recharge!

I agree with this fella. I buy 14.4v drills for all my crews at work. We attend 400 shows a year puting up signage and tradestands. With the 14.4v we put in 4 inch coach bolts. With the 18v a lot of guys complained they are to heavy for prolonged use. I certainly wouldn't buy 18v. If you can't drive in a screw with 14.4v then you need a pilot hole

Its my opinion that dewalt seem have several versions of their drills. In all cases you get what you pay for. I would recommend the more exspensive one.

I also agree that makita are pushing dewalt for quality and in many ways surpassing them. I have a little 12v makita drill for onsite work and I've done an hours worth of 3inch screws on one 1.3ah battery.

In summery I'd go for 14.4v either Makita or Dewalt. Makita is my preference. 13mm chuck not 10mm. So frustrating to just have a 10mm. Then you've got battery choice. I would go for 2-3 batteries of bog standard ones with a fast charge charger. I have costly Lith-ion ones here and they are brilliant but hardly locost. Depends on your wallet but I have rather have a impact driver, or cordless jig for the extra money.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

londonsean69

posted on 2/11/09 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have an 18v Makita, with 1.3AH Nicad packs (3 of em).

Came with a 1hr charger.

Was down to £100 at Screwfix (down from £180) eventually went to £80.

I think they must have been clearing them out to make way for the new LiIon versions.

Sean

Frosty

posted on 2/11/09 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your advise chaps. The £99 Screwfix Dewalt offer looks to be a winner.

fesycresy U2U coming your way.

Wadders

posted on 2/11/09 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Yup second that advice, iv'e given up on dewalt cordless now, the battery life is crap and they weigh a ton. Makita lithium iron is the daddy!

Al.

I've gone off Dewalts and onto Makita LXT's, much better, that's mostly what you see on site now.

Have a look on Screwfix, if you like anything u2u me and I'll give you a 10% discount code.

Avoneer

posted on 2/11/09 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
And to throw a spanner in the works, I've used DeWalt, Makita and now onto Ryobi.

Ryobi is lasting really well and taking a lot of abuse so I'm sticking with them until something bad happens.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gazza285

posted on 2/11/09 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
And I've no complaints about my 18v Bosch Pro.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stuart_B

posted on 2/11/09 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
hi, i am not sure about dewalt, but i need a drill and has going down the cheap £100 makita or dewalt, but in the end i got a makita 3speed 18v li-ion combi drill and 18v li-lon impact drive, wow i have only had a few days and they are great, best £330 you could spend on a drill.

but if you are not using every day a 18v makita or dewalt, with a few batteries will do you.

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

dhutch

posted on 2/11/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Its the same with everything.
- The cheaper DIY models disapoint, the mid range all work really well, then at the top end you get price hike without performance increase.

Last year i was using one of these, which my housemate got for £80 when screwfix had a deal on and i have to say that compared to my 2yo cordless the increase in power the phenominal. And with three batterys and a fast charger you shouldnt be left standing long.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/21623/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/BOSCH-GSR-12-23-12V-Cordless-Drill-Driver#
Bosch Pro - GSR 12 2

I bought this for dad on farther day too, having u'mm and arhhed about which to get. It doesnt have the mind blowing power and if i had bought it would be disapointed. However while a little bit down in power it is very light and usable and for the work dad uses it for it has been great.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/52265/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/Makita-6261DWPE-9-6V-Cordless-Drill-Driver 9.6v Makita 6261DWPE

Daniel

blockhead_rich

posted on 2/11/09 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
It's gotta be Bosch (although I'm biased as I work for them) and I can verify that the quality, testing and innovation behind every new product is superior in my experience.

Rich

adam1985

posted on 2/11/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
i use makita 18v lithuim ion its my second now (first was pinched)
Cant fault it as light as a normal 12v, 20 min fast charger, power off 18v and a 3.0a/h battery this is at my local merchants now for £150+vat
http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=20211
my old one was 2 years old when pinched and used everyday and when i brought my new one there was no difference in performance or battery life

eta if your after the best drills try hilti the prices may surprise you they were not as dear as i thought they would be

[Edited on 2/11/09 by adam1985]

Frosty

posted on 2/11/09 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
I won't buy anything Bosch again after my old chordless screwdriver battery died after 4 months of normal use. They said the battery was not covered under warranty, and I said come on - that's just silly! It's clearly faulty.

Good will was denied, and so is the chance of me buying anything Bosch again.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.