Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Jap donor cars
skinned knuckles

posted on 3/11/09 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Jap donor cars

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and new to building cars but have finally decided to fulfill my ambition to build a locost.

I have decided to go for the haynes roadster but am willing to adapt the plans to accomodate new ideas.

I am currently looking for a suitable donor car but dont really fancy going down the sierra rout and reading the haynes guide they mantion BMW, Mercs or MX5. what i was wondering is is there any reason why i cannot use a nissan 200SX as a single donor?

This car seems to fit the bill in terms of engine/drive train config but being a novice dont know about the rest. I just happen to have a 200SX sat in a lock up following a run in with barriers at the nurbergring 5 years ago (funnily my insurance didn't want to pay for repairs) and as i spent a fortune on the engine etc as a boy racer many years ago it puts out a delightful 280 horse.

funds are tight on this one so if it is possible, I'd like to give it a go.

all advice welcome, even if its to tell me to forget it. I also have access to a totalled RX7 if this would be better?

tomgregory2000

posted on 3/11/09 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
i can give you some advice on the 200sx as im fitting one in my huge viento.

the gearbox is HUGE, i have had to cut a couple bits out of my trans tunnel to fit the box in and the engine is a tall unit but i shoud have enough room in mine

tomgregory2000

posted on 3/11/09 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Where abouts are you?
tegwin

posted on 3/11/09 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Isnt there someone on here with a Rx7 engine+box+diff in a locost?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

scootz

posted on 3/11/09 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
If you're building it, then you can pretty much use whatever car you fancy!

There are no hard and fast rules, but bear in mind that the 'path less travelled' will always throw up problems that take longer to overcome!

It's Evolution Baby!

skinned knuckles

posted on 3/11/09 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
I am based on the wirral, just the other side of the mersey from liverpool.

Iknow the engine and box in the 200SX is a bit on the big side which is could make my taget weight a bit of a prob but with the extra BHP i should still achieve power/weight ratio targets

tomgregory2000

posted on 3/11/09 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
the sr20det engine is not that heavy as its all alloy, plus the torque it puts out makes up for any extra weight, here is my thread my conversion starting
austin man

posted on 3/11/09 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
shouldnt a problem your wishbones will probably need altering if you are thinking of using the doners hubs due to geometry. The Honda S2000 engine has been fitted to a few cars 2 MK's have them in.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Canada EH!

posted on 4/11/09 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
Modified RX7 locost here in Canada cleaned up in autocross for 3 years, insainly fast.
skinned knuckles

posted on 4/11/09 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
i like the idea of insainly fast. and with it being a more compact unit than the 200SX lump could be worth a look.

anyone know how much work would be involved in gettine all the other bits from the car to fit the haynes roadster chassis? I am a novice after all, though i did do a fabrication welding course at college 15 years ago and having had a practice recently i dont seem to have forgotten how.

have had a bit of bad news recently though, the lock up i have been using for the last few years is due to be torn down in Jan to make way for new houses. I live on the wirral so if anyone knows of a bit of space I could borrow for a shoestring rend I'd appreciate the nod.

Cheers
S.N.

nz_climber

posted on 27/11/09 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
the sr20det engine is not that heavy as its all alloy, plus the torque it puts out makes up for any extra weight, here is my thread my conversion starting

The SR20 block although all alloy is a similar weight to the toyota 3sge which is an iron block, + more for all the turbo bits. And also a bit bulkier.

http://aarons7.wordpress.com

RK

posted on 2/12/09 at 01:24 AM Reply With Quote
SR20 and CA18 engines take a lot of room in the engine compartment, and they get HOT. They do put out a lot of HP however. Mine (very near finished if I can get these wipers to work) has a CA18DET, and I've seen a couple of 7's with SR20's. Don't know about the rest of the car, but the engine makes a great donor, even in a standard, narrow bodied locost.
RK

posted on 8/12/09 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
1. This: book dimensions chassis

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FW8lPLlNTk_IDLP1kiJWaw?authkey=Gv1sRgCLfsoZrNyoKG4QE&feat=directlink

2. to this, with CA18DET:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/S0hW0BQZM8Rwi3qjQiaRkQ?authkey=Gv1sRgCLfsoZrNyoKG4QE&feat=directlink

There's even an intercooler and a blow off valve under all that. The SR20 has a lower intake plenum. I don't see any room for the steering column on your side though. This works (barely) for a LHD.

3. With bonnet on. Chassis is 1" higher (or rather has an extra top rail).

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/WgCuNFl2r8G3W_ljcd8orw?authkey=Gv1sRgCLfsoZrNyoKG4QE&feat=directlink

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.