Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis Stand design
m8kwr

posted on 26/11/09 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Chassis Stand design

I am going to be making a chassis stand on castors, but was wondering what other people had done on the matter.

I am looking to see if anyone has got pictures of what they have done.

My major concern is my garage floor is not flat, so i need some means on been able to level the stand before i start any work.

The only way i can think is using some big bolts, and then using a nut to higher a lower the stand at the 4 corners - but don't see this as been the best way to go about it.

Bluemoon

posted on 26/11/09 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Do you mean stand or build table? There is a stand in my photo archive, but it need a flattish floor..

Photo:

off my trolly
off my trolly

Dan

[Edited on 26/11/09 by Bluemoon]

m8kwr

posted on 26/11/09 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I did mean a chassis build table/stand thingy!!!!

Other that been able to move it, i could build it to stay where it is until i have built the chassis, by then i would have no need for it... and would be scrap metal!!!!

But moving it around would be ideal.

I have found some adjustable castors for scaffolding, but are nearly £100, not very locost!!!!

grassracer

posted on 26/11/09 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
On here the other day someone posted about a blingy BMW 3 series project. It was built on a substantial jig but I noticed it had both casters and adjstable feet which when adjusted down lifted it off the casters..simple design and easy to move and level, of course yours wouldn't need to be as heavy duty either.......now all we need is someone to find you the link......
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 26/11/09 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have a pool table which has both adjustable feet and castors. I put a large build sheet on the top plus when your not making the chassis you can shoot some pool. Anyone wanna come over for a build party

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 26/11/09 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
iv been thinking about something similar for a while now - not for building but for winter mods.. if its bolted together rather than welded it can be dismantled and put in a corner.. used every winter its far easier to work on the car..
02GF74

posted on 26/11/09 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by m8kwr

The only way i can think is using some big bolts, and then using a nut to higher a lower the stand at the 4 corners - but don't see this as been the best way to go about it.

pad it out using strips of wood or wooden wedges if ya wanna get fancy.

Bluemoon

posted on 26/11/09 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Just remember a build table has to be flat, Making it movable is going to be hard work as it needs to be very flat even when you move it... Which means making is substantial, a bit like the chassis, with lots of triangulation or very thick steel.. Other wise you'll end up with an untrue chassis... Might be simpler to make something fixed whilst you do the first part of the welding??

Dan

mr henderson

posted on 26/11/09 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Virtually all the cars I work on have wheels on, so I got a load of VAT free Machine Mart dollies and built frames onto them so that the whole car is lifted up to working height.

In your case, though, I would say how often are you going to move it? If not very often, just put some wooden feet on it and drag it into position. It will stay put better too.

For levelling, put a top on it and make sure you can get to the underside, then spend £100 on a laser level and use that to get the surface dead level all over by putting wedges in underneath the sort they use for levelling kitchen units are good and cheap. Don't buy a cheap laser unless you know it's dead accurate.

The laser will also be handy when you start the build, use the vertical line and get it to shine along the centre line on the build table, then mark the centreline on any pieces that go across the chassis, and you can use the laser to get then centred. (apologies if you're not building a chassis, but it might help someone else)

ghuncha

posted on 26/11/09 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
well what i have done is made an 8x4 base with 1/2 inch square tubing with lots of criss crossing for strength, tried to keep it as flat as possible, than the legs of the flat are of 2 inch box section, now for adjustement i used 1 normal screw jack at each leg
welded it to the leg..

haven't put any casters, but i guess they can be welded to the base of the jack...

its quiet stable when not moving...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.