Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Respacing ITBs
londonsean69

posted on 29/11/09 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Respacing ITBs

Righty ho, apologies if this has been asked before, I've done a search but the forums are massive now.

Is it absolutely necessary to re-space bike throttle bodies?

I would imagine that for top power then yes, as it presents the easiest path for fuel/air into the motor.

But, respacing only seems possible on a few ITBs, and then you seem to need TIG to extend throttle linkages etc. (I don't have TIG)

I guess what I am asking, is "Would I be OK in using XYZ throttle bodies with a manifold made to suit?

Any replies gladly appreciated, or links to this info

Cheers
-----------------------
Sean

Chippy

posted on 29/11/09 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Don't see why not, but would be a bit of a bugger to fabricate, IMHO. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

mark chandler

posted on 29/11/09 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO not wholly necessary, it’s the total length that you need so just extend the trumpets on the short middle ones.

Look at car manifolds for instance; v8 rovers have shorter stacks on the end cylinders to balance things.

The length is tuned anyway, so having a couple out will just spread the torque spread a little, will you ever notice? It's doubtful, will be far better than a single carb/TB setup anyway.

Regards Mark

flak monkey

posted on 30/11/09 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
You dont need to TIG the throttle linkages.

If you use the common R6, early GSXR600/750 and Hayabusa ones they will all respace easily and it makes manufacturing the inlet manifold really easy too.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

will121

posted on 30/11/09 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
its not absolutly necesary to respace them, there is pro's and cons. firstly if respaced makes the manufacture of the manifold easier as no compound bends, and if space is an issue the manifold can be shorter, against respacing is potential problems in remanufacture of a fuel rail. teh extension of the throttle linkage is quite simple rearly. as later throttle bodies seems to be cast in pairs, respacing is not always an option. Bogg's do not seem to respace theirs but they are craftsmen when you see their work as opposed to my DIY efforts. bit more info in a how to link i done on anoteher forum.

re-spacing and manifold link

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/11/09 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Good points.

The only messy bit with respacing the "standard" throttle bodies comes from the linkage arms. Everything else is easy on the early GSXR ones.

You can move them relative to the washers which buys a couple of mm, but that isn't normally enough.

I have bolted on an extension and bonded with chemical metal. This works but is a bi t bodgy. The other problem with this approach is that you end up moving the link slightly. This can be corrected by adjusting the "balancing screw" but it has a very limited range of action.

The best solution would be to get replacement linkages. The relevant piece is only a short arm with a d-shaped cut-out. This is made out of a flat sheet, with a fold in it. If someone out in the internet world wanted to laser-cut a decent batch of these (you do make them universal by having a long arm which could be bent and cut-down). I'd happily pay £10 for a set of 3 of these (actually for a set of 4 as then I could make a mistake), and I am sure there would be a fair number of customers as this modification is quite popular.

Just a thought.

Matt

londonsean69

posted on 30/11/09 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
You dont need to TIG the throttle linkages.

If you use the common R6, early GSXR600/750 and Hayabusa ones they will all respace easily and it makes manufacturing the inlet manifold really easy too.

David

I knew the GSXR were easily respaced, but was under the impression that the throttle linkages needed extending (might be thinking of the wrong part)
As it is thin/alloy, I was also under the impression it would need TIG to do the extensions

[Edited on 30/11/09 by londonsean69]

Cheers
-----------------------
Sean

fatbaldbloke

posted on 30/11/09 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Details on respacing GSXR TB's etc on a Zetec engine are on my website - link below, and then go to the throttle bodies page.
coozer

posted on 30/11/09 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
I don't see why you need to respace them. Fabbing a new manifold and using the original spacing adds just a couple of mm length.

Leaving the TB's as standard helps with all the oem balancing etc, dead easy to sort any problems, or not have any to start with.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

flak monkey

posted on 30/11/09 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Linkage arms are always steel and about 2mm thick, so no probs migging them.

As for fuel rails, I can supply billet ones, or just the blank extrusion for you to make your own.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

londonsean69

posted on 30/11/09 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Linkage arms are always steel and about 2mm thick, so no probs migging them.

As for fuel rails, I can supply billet ones, or just the blank extrusion for you to make your own.

Ahh, that sounds more like it.

I might well take you up on the fuel rail when I eventually go for it.

Cheers for all the answers guys and girls, food for thought

Cheers
-----------------------
Sean

MikeRJ

posted on 30/11/09 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
The problem is that the distance between the throttle body and head is usually so short that forming the desired bends is almost impossible. This is why the majority of manifolds I have seen have so-called "cheated" joins between the manifold and the flange plate, i.e. the pipe joins the flange at an angle, causing a very tight corner for the air to get around.

What I would say is that if you aren't worried about extracting the best power, why use individual throttle bodies? A good plenum system will give as good or better power than a mediocre throttle body set-up but without the negative aspects of getting a good MAP signal and part throttle calibration.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.