Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Non KC - Crazy Astra Horn Problem
londonsean69

posted on 30/11/09 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Non KC - Crazy Astra Horn Problem

Morning

My Astra (MK3 2.0 Sport) decided to have a fit at 4.45am this morning. The horn just started blaring.

Took me a while to realise it was my car, so shot downstairs and out into the p155ing rain, in me boxers

I thought it must have been the alarm, but was able to disarm and arm the alarm with no effect on the horn.
In fact, at one point I managed to set the alarm, then open the door. Alarm started going off as well (By now I was waiting for a neighbour to start chucking housebricks)

In deperation I popped the bonnet, about to cut cables/pull fuses, at which point it just stopped.

Any Ideas?
*I didn't think it was connected to the alarm system (Clifford) but am trying to get a copy of the user manual
*Possible short circuit because of rain?
*Crap car

It started and ran fine for the run in to work this morning

Cheers
-----------------------
Sean

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/11/09 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
My old cavalier had a factory alarm that used the main horn, you may have that too

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
londonsean69

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
My old cavalier had a factory alarm that used the main horn, you may have that too

As well as the Clifford?

Seems strange, because I don't have any sort of fob except the Clifford. I'll have to get me head in the wiring diagrams in the Haynes Book of lies

Cheers
-----------------------
Sean

02GF74

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by londonsean69

that would be my reaction. aren't horns wired permanently live? so some moisture on the esrth wire may have been enough to complete the cricuit.

get to the horn, remove both push on connectors and spray WD40 or apply vaseline and then fit back on making sure they re on tight.

test horn.

it it ewasd alarm, did not the siren go off and indicators flash too?

londonsean69

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by londonsean69

that would be my reaction. aren't horns wired permanently live? so some moisture on the esrth wire may have been enough to complete the cricuit.

get to the horn, remove both push on connectors and spray WD40 or apply vaseline and then fit back on making sure they re on tight.

test horn.

it it ewasd alarm, did not the siren go off and indicators flash too?

It was my first thought. Actually, it was my second, the first was "Shut the f**k up"

I did have an M25 run last night, and it was lashing down.
But, the car was parked up by 11pm, and this didn't happen till 4.45am, so maybe seeped in somewhere.

The horn was continuous, with no indicators flashing, which makes me think it wasn't a factory alarm.

The indicators did flash when I set/reset the Clifford.

I've got some proper contact cleaner, so will give it a swizz later. The horn was fine on the way to work though, I did give it a little toot to test it.

I think I might sling a letter into my neighbours houses later, because it took me a few minutes to get it to shut up.

Cheers
-----------------------
Sean

dhutch

posted on 30/11/09 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Do nothing, unless it does it again?

Engine light came on on the pug a week ago after vigous run though the rain and floods, not seen in since, runs fine. Sod it!

Daniel

dhutch

posted on 30/11/09 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Also try astra forums to see its its common and if its likely to reoccur?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.