Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How solid are your brakes??
Findlay234

posted on 30/11/09 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
How solid are your brakes??

One of my fail points was brake creep, ive just got into the car and had a good hard test of the brake. Im not sure I can actually feel any creep as such. Maybe just a bit of sponginess. How hard or solid is the brake pedal when pressed rapidly?? Ive got dual mcyls, braided hoses at the corners and standard rear drum sierra brakes.

Im guessing brake creep would be evident by the fact that when you press hard the pedal will move to engage the brakes and then once engaged will slowly move to touch the bulkhead....?? MY brakes dont do this as far as im aware...

I guess this boils down to not really knowing what un servo'd brakes are meant to feel like!!

Cheers

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/11/09 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure it doesn’t refer to the pedal gradually sinking if held on? Usually due to air in the system cooling after pumping the brakes or at worst leaking seals

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 30/11/09 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Creep is sinking pedal ----- when the pressure is slowly and gently applied the pedal very slowly sinks.
It is quite a common wear & tear issue on tandem dual circuit mastercylinders once they have a the miles on them --- it is caused by a leak internal to the master cylinder fluid from one circuit slowly seeps back to resevoir via the recuperating valve or recuperating port..

If you want to prove it to yourself 100%.

(1) Check for leaks at all pipe unions on the system by examining them carefully using a torch while somebody puts pressure on the.

If above is OK
(2) Disconnect brake lines from master cylinder and screw bleed nipples into the holes, give it a very quick bleed, a test the master cylinder by very slowly putting gentle pressure on the brake pedal --- it should be rock solid, if the seals are shot it will very very slowly sink.

[Edited on 30/11/09 by britishtrident]

Phil.J

posted on 30/11/09 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
The brakes on my single seater are rock solid with good feel.
The brakes on my Shogun were odd, if you kept pressing the pedal it would slowly sink to the floor over about a minute. I checked everything, bled them, changed the master cylinder (expensive) then thought sod it, I'll put it in for the MOT and see what happens.
Passed with no problems and the MOT tester said that they are all like that from new! Sure enough my newer Mitsubishi is just the same.
So it doesn't always mean that there is a problem

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 30/11/09 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Mine are solid and you can lock them up really easy by stamping on them

RazMan

posted on 30/11/09 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Are your pads / shoes fully bedded in? New pads can feel really odd until you've done a few hundred miles.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 30/11/09 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Are your pads / shoes fully bedded in? New pads can feel really odd until you've done a few hundred miles.

Aggreed, but the pedal should still never creep to the floor with a single applied pressure

dave r

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Aggreed, but the pedal should still never creep to the floor with a single applied pressure

it does on a vivaro van
something to do with the abs.... took mine back after first few miles and again after 1000... still doing it at 40000

Gazeddy

posted on 30/11/09 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
transits do it too
ReMan

posted on 30/11/09 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Aggreed again, so does my tin top.

So Findlay234 go back and tell the tester it's just your ABS on your 7, you have got ABS havent you ?

RazMan

posted on 30/11/09 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
If nothing is actually leaking then it has to be the m/c seals - are they new or s/h?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.