Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: streaming from pc to tv?
blakep82

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
streaming from pc to tv?

keep seeing the PC world adverts banging on about streaming from PC to tv wirelessly

can't find any info on how its actually done though.

anyone know?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

McLannahan

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Wireless media centre/streamer

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Linksys-by-Cisco-DMA2200-Wireless-N-Media-Streamer_W0QQitemZ280429672950QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_DVDPlayer s_Recorders?hash=item414ae939f6

blakep82

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
ah, that makes sense thanks.
nothing specific to do with windows 7 as they make out then? lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

McLannahan

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Windows 7 supports this sort of technology - HomeGroups as it's called. It's one network to share and stream files and documents.

Any wireless streamer will do it too - just a tiny bit more setting up.

cerbera

posted on 30/11/09 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you want to stream HD content, all you need is an old XBOX (£20) with XBMC installed and a wireless gaming adapter (£20)
Liam

posted on 1/12/09 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
PS3 and some free software called TVersity will do it too. TVersity might also work on an Xbox360 too, dunno.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
splitrivet

posted on 1/12/09 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
I use an Xbox 360 didnt need TVversity and have no probs, in fact I use it more for streaming than game playing using XP.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 1/12/09 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

whitestu

posted on 1/12/09 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Mine is just connected with a 5m VGA lead from PC to TV, going under the floor.
RazMan

posted on 1/12/09 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
I've recently set up a system which consists of a Netgear Digital Entertainer 8000 HD (getting cheap on eBay recently) and a Powerline network on a Windows 7 PC.

Setup was a bit touchy using the wireless network connection so I swapped to the Powerline kit (which connects via your house mains wiring) and everything started to make more sense. No software is needed as the media streamer has everything built in.

I can now download all my movies and stream them to my 52" plasma TV in HD. I also installed a NAS drive so I don't even need to switch the PC on - really chuffed with the setup.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jumpy Guy

posted on 1/12/09 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Slifgtly OT- I use an xbox and xbmc, which works well with small films, but no use for larger files

Is there any way on an xbox360 to copy films etc to the hard drive locally?

I know I can copy games locally to the HDD....

Jasper

posted on 1/12/09 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I use a Popcorn Hour - but I'd be suprised if you'd get HD movies to stream wirelessly.

PCH are pretty cheap and do the job superby, it will play any movie format, then you could get a couple of mains circuit network adapters...

Trouble with all these things is they are farily tricky to get set up and working IMO.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Dale

posted on 1/12/09 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
I just have an old p3 600 mhz with an svid out going to the tv with a wireless mouse. Plays just about everything via vlc player. Its wired ethernet and all the vids are on an external usb drive on my pc. Works a treat.
Total cost was the price of the mouse,
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

Dangle_kt

posted on 1/12/09 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Just a big thankyou for this thread, just enjoyed a movie on the big screen after geting my xbox 360 (which until today was an unwanted, unused present) on the network and acting as a media centre.

Cost me the price of a rj45 cable. Perfect.

Thanks guys.

[Edited on 1/12/09 by Dangle_kt]

blakep82

posted on 1/12/09 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
^ ah yeah, meant to say i don't want to do it. just curious as to how they do it on the advert. didn't know how it was done lol
glad you got some use out of it though mate

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.