Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Foam pour seats...
alistairolsen

posted on 4/12/09 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Foam pour seats...

Can these be used for Hillclimbing etc? In other words do the FIA approve the method?

Cheers

[Edited on 4/12/09 by alistairolsen]

My Build Thread

designer

posted on 4/12/09 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
As long as the foam is fireproof; Yes
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alistairolsen

posted on 4/12/09 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
So if I had Triton seats on runner for road use, and I made up a foam seat to fit me, I could unbolt one and fit the other?

My Build Thread

Phil.J

posted on 4/12/09 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
The foam will only be the liner to ensure you are a snug fit. It will need to made in a rigid seat shell of some sort and is not suitable for a seat in itself.

[Edited on 4/12/09 by Phil.J]

MikeR

posted on 4/12/09 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Pour the foam in a bag placed at the back of the car with you sitting on it. It will expand to fill up and wedge itself in nicely. The car then becomes the 'seat shell' and you'll (maybe) save weight.
TimC

posted on 4/12/09 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly, what the MSA and what the FIA require are two different things. Expanding foam seats seem to be the norm in club-level racing.

My tips?

1. Click http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=31570040
  2. Go to an outdoor/adventure/hiking shop and buy a survival sack for about £4-8
  3. Use ply or smilar to board-up space between chassis tubes next to your hip.
  4. Find an assistant.
  5. Buy more foam than you think you need.
  6. Take your time.

lsdweb

posted on 4/12/09 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've used bin bag foam seats for hilclimbs with no problems - not a pleaseant process doing it though - TiMC's advice is sound!

welderman

posted on 4/12/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
let me know how you get on, as im going to have to do the same foamy seat thing.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

TimC

posted on 4/12/09 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Oh and then ask your girlfriend to spend the next three hours cutting out holes for the 6-point harness and covering it in gaffer tape... it had to be done - was my first race at Silverstone the following day.

Bless her!

iank

posted on 4/12/09 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Info on how to do it here http://www.sjmmarsh.f2s.com/Caterham/Foam%20Seat.html

Obligatory canoe story and good information on weights and measures.
http://www.blatchat.com/T.asp?id=124677

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

alistairolsen

posted on 4/12/09 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ive used the foam before, not for seats tho. Wont be happening any time soon,was just curious whether I should leave some way of mounting an approved bucket or whether foam would do.

Cheers guys!

My Build Thread

Triton

posted on 4/12/09 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
I contacted the FIA regarding having seats tested but the cost was a tad off putting at almost 10 grand to have the three main seats tested.
The test however wouldn't be a problem, I'm more than confident they would pass with flying colours....if only it wasn't so expensive

I have used 2 part foam on my wave skis and if you don't mix it right you get some weird things going on. I would have thought making a seat in a bin bag with 2 part foam would have the same results...huge air pockets as the bag can't contain the stuff.

My wave ski mould creeks and groans and scares the beeejeesus outa me as the foam expands and that is heavily braced with m16 bolts holding it together.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 4/12/09 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Surfboard blanks use the same foam IIRC and they are "cast " in a heavyweight concrete mould with the top half clamped to the bottom half
alistairolsen

posted on 5/12/09 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
I contacted the FIA regarding having seats tested but the cost was a tad off putting at almost 10 grand to have the three main seats tested.
The test however wouldn't be a problem, I'm more than confident they would pass with flying colours....if only it wasn't so expensive

I have used 2 part foam on my wave skis and if you don't mix it right you get some weird things going on. I would have thought making a seat in a bin bag with 2 part foam would have the same results...huge air pockets as the bag can't contain the stuff.

My wave ski mould creeks and groans and scares the beeejeesus outa me as the foam expands and that is heavily braced with m16 bolts holding it together.

I have no fears regarding your seats and will be more than happy sitting in them!! Its just if I want to go hillclimbing I can make a foam pour for very little money to temporarily replace it.

My Build Thread

procomp

posted on 6/12/09 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

There's always the usual scaremongering about foam seats. But the end result is that it is the only way to truly hold yourself in the car when encountering higher G loads. And also get your self right down on the floor. They also offer far greater protection when an accident dose occur as the seat being fully molded to your body shape spreads the load over a much greater area rather than just where your body happens to touch the seat.
There is NOT a single fiberglass seat that offers the correct support and nessacery strength to do the same job.

Just take your time and some common sense.

Cheers Matt

Triton

posted on 6/12/09 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Not scare mongering just having my say based on using 2 part foam, there is an art to mixing it and the temperature has to be just right or it doesn't play ball properly.

As for the Triton seats, well they are the dogs danglies and plenty are being used in anger for hill climbing, circuit racing, drag racing and even mad off road buggies by some damn good racers.........

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.