Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insitu change of diff front oil seal
m4maverick

posted on 5/12/09 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Insitu change of diff front oil seal

hi, anyone tried changing the front oil seal on a sierra diff insitu, without removing the diff from the car first.

It is in a Tiger Avon, nothing else is wrong with the diff, just leaking oil out of the front pinion cover, past the threads and out past the nut

I realise this is probably the lazy option, but it would save a good deal of effort and time if it can be easily achieved, with a successful out come. no point in not getting in right as it will just mean doing it again in the near future

Any opinions welcome, within reason

ashg

posted on 5/12/09 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
usually when the seals go its because the bearings are worn. i would suggest taking it out and having a proper look.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Chippy

posted on 5/12/09 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, the job is possable, if a bit of a sod to get to. You will need to hold the pinion coupling to undo the nut, which will be "F" tight. Th oil seal is a bit of a pig to get out, as it's quite far in. It's also very unusual for the pinion bearing to be shot, as it's usually the main diff bearings that let go first, but worth checking while you have the flange and seal out. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

kenton

posted on 6/12/09 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
2nd that, it is possable.
I have a pit in my workshop you are welcome to use. Where in sussex are you?
kenton

m4maverick

posted on 13/12/09 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Just an update, managed to change the oil seal insitu today, I already had the tunnel top stripped off, as I am changing the hand brake. Everything came apart no issue, the only difficulty was removing the old seal, ended up putting a self tapper in it and a bit of levering and out it came, happy days.

Cleaned everything up really well, lubed the new seal and the mating faces etc.

The new one didn't exactly drop in but careful tapping and a block of wood and "Bobs your monther's brother".

I guess only time will tell if everything stays put and sealed properly.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.