Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: machine mart alloy jacks?
AndyGT

posted on 7/12/09 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
machine mart alloy jacks?

anyone got one of these: L INKY LINK THINGY

are they good or a load of junk?

fancy one and only weighs 10 kg. The steel ones are cheaper but are 30kg.

Jack would be used for occasional work (lifting a car once a month) in the garage and slung in the booT of my classic the rest of the time?

Thanks
Andy

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
oadamo

posted on 7/12/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
there ok but stuggle to lift a big car you have to really pull on the handle. and after about 3months all the bolts come loose so be carefull if you get one. but apart from that there really good.
adam

owelly

posted on 7/12/09 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't like mine enough to drive the 50 miles back to the shop to demand my money back!! The quality was crap, a lot of the bolts were loose when I got it out of the box, it wouldn't stay up with my lawn tractor on it and if the surface is anything but perfectly flat where the front roller is resting, then it becomes a three wheeled wobbley jack!!
I replaced it with a crappy chinese one from Macro for £9.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stott

posted on 7/12/09 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bother, my friends one dropped a 5 series a foot from his head, it was lifted to check the diff code and just before he got under it gave way, yeah i know axle stands and all that but in the real world if you just wanted to read a number on a diff most of us wouldn't bother.

Turns out the piston of the jack bottle is really short and of a narrow O/D but it's sleeved to make it appear chunky and longer so it failed and the sleeve snapped off and the car came crashing down, total waste of money IMO

jeffw

posted on 7/12/09 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have one and while it looks good I wouldn't trust it. Mine doesn't move while you jack the car ....which makes the car move instead...which means it will fall off the back axle stands as you try and get it off all 4 stands. Don't ask how I know that.....

rf900rush

posted on 7/12/09 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Bought one of these last year, just to lift the rear of my DAX Rush.
The Rubber bit is Knackerd now.

I Have to use the jack every time the Car comes out of the Shed.

Does the job OK but WOULD NOT get under the Car without stands.

Danozeman

posted on 7/12/09 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 10 quid halfords 2 tonne one. It seems to jack everything and doesnt creep or anything. Just about goes under my car. My mate has one of these and its ceck. Wouldnt trust my life under it. His creeps, wobbles and alsorts. I was gonna get one until i used his.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

dhutch

posted on 8/12/09 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
As said, they arent the best jack in the world.

However, for what they are, they are light and do work.

We have one the uni motorclub becuase a number of the members (inc me) have low cars and it is also light enough to easly take to trackdays and ring trips.

First think we do each time take all the bolts out and thread lock them and replace them which cures that problem.

What i wouldnt do however if lift a 5 seres and stick my head under it.
Granted it should have given way, however after a life time of useinf old and borrow jacks i dont trust any jack for even a second.

Daniel

dhutch

posted on 8/12/09 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
In summary, if you going to be lifting heavy cars or using lots and lots, buy better or buy twice. But for a cheap and cherry light wieght low entry jack you could do a lot worse.
Clarke have also bought out a steel low entry one recently which is nice. Otherwise Costco also do a simular one for half the price which seams fairly roubust to me.

mcerd1

posted on 8/12/09 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
I thought the machine mart one was a cheap nasty copy of someone elses design ? (but I can't remember who make the other one)

[Edited on 8/12/09 by mcerd1]

-

balidey

posted on 8/12/09 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
I know of a company that restores cars, they got rid of all their old steel jacks and replaced them with alloy ones, but they were £350 each. They are bloody fantastic, and at a glance look identical to all the cheaper £80 ones. You get what you pay for. I have never used a cheap one, but from comments above I won't bother getting one.
jeffw

posted on 8/12/09 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Isn't it a copy of the Michelin one ?

http://www.k300performance.co.uk/michelin-racing-jack.php

I have to say I lust after that jack ....not something I normally want but there you go.

Wadders

posted on 8/12/09 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Costco do an ally jack, low level and approx 2tonne for around £60, had mine approx 2 years with no problems.

Al.

Bluemoon

posted on 8/12/09 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Looking at the shape of it, it's wedge shaped so I guess the low entry bit only works if you can get to a jacking point close to the edge of the car...

I use a halfords 2ton jack, works find took the rotating saddle off to make it low enough to get under car... or run car over wood blocks first.

I'll also second never going under a car with the jack only, not a good move one error and well game over really.. Having had mine "fall off" the jack makes me realize how easy it is to have this happen..

Dan

roadrunner

posted on 8/12/09 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
I have a twenty quid one from Lidl and it's been working fine for six years with no creeping at all, and it even lifts my six ton Golf
Reading some of the comments above i would avoid it, unless you have a death wish.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.