Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike throttle body spacing
Sven

posted on 11/12/09 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
Bike throttle body spacing

Those of you using bike throttle bodies on car engines, how do you space the TBs? I'm sure I can work out the mechanical parts, but what about the fuel rail? Do you make one out of plumbing pipe or a few hoses and jubilee clips or what? Any pics you have would be awesome to make the old gray matter get it.

Any 750/900/1000 sized sport bike throttle bodies that are completely separate and not in pairs? Ideally with a throttle position sensor?

Gracias!

-Steve

"Lightheadedness through quickness"

hillbillyracer

posted on 11/12/09 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
I had a set from a Yamaha R1 (at least that's what the ebay ad said when I bought them & I've since resold them as that too!) they were held together by long rods threaded through clamping the bodies together as one unit. It would have been simple to make up some spacers & longer rods to align them with the ports on a different engine, slightly harder to modify the linkages & the fuel rail could have been done with hose & jubilee clips I suppose but I was going to ask on here...

Since bought an unfinished project with a V6 hence the resale.

Sven

posted on 11/12/09 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that. I'll troll around a local breakers yard and take some pics if I can of throttle bodies that best suit me mechanically and then research the throttle plate sizes that best suit my motor. That should give me a list of TBs that are suitable and I can buy from there ...

-Steve

"Lightheadedness through quickness"

Jenko

posted on 11/12/09 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
If it's for a sub 200bhp engine also consider the 600 size TB's which are typically around 38mm (i.e. plenty to flow 200bhp).

I used GSXR600TB's, and spaced them with some hollow tube bought from a metal mearchant....For the fuel rail, a length of fuel rail can be bought, and then when you have fully spaced the tbs, put the injcectors in and measure exactly..
You can just see it here:

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

DaveFJ

posted on 11/12/09 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
early gsxr TBs are individual and can be respaced easily. the fuel rail consists of 4 plastic bits with metal tubes connecting them. I just got some ally tube and groved the ends for O rings to respace then added connectors at either end so it was a 'flow through' fuel rail rather than the dead end that is the normal design.

HTH

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

big-vee-twin

posted on 11/12/09 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
The easiest to use are GSXR 600 or 750 from 2001 they split up easily. I used the 750 ITB as they are the same size as Jenvey Throttle bodies.

I used 12mm alluminim tube from B&Q to respace, if you use a ST170 inlet manifold the first two do not need respacing the second pair are respaced by 14mm you will also need to extend the operating arm between them, I used a bit of flat aluminium bar again from B&Q pop rivited onto the arm.

Bolted them back together using 5mm screwed rod again from B&Q.

You can see close up pics in my archive

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

will121

posted on 11/12/09 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
there has been a number of questions on this subject recently if you do a search, as you say the respacing of the throttle bodies is not the hardest part, its the fuel rail, some thoughts are to do you rearly need to respace or just make the manifold to suit? best way if you need to respace is a replacement fuel rail and a few on here will offer that service at a reasonable price.
link to what i done,
link

flak monkey

posted on 11/12/09 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
If you require a fuel rail to suit, that is something I can supply

As already mentioned GSXR throttle bodies are probably the most widely used. My pinto was on GSXR600. My duratec will be running GSXR750 ones.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

big-vee-twin

posted on 11/12/09 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Flack Monkey has made me a fuel Rail

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

flak monkey

posted on 11/12/09 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
Flack Monkey has made me a fuel Rail

Has it arrived? Posted it on weds. Remember to wash it out and fit the hose tails with loctite

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

big-vee-twin

posted on 11/12/09 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Came today David, many thank you's

stuart_g

posted on 11/12/09 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
My fuel rail also came today, thanks David
Now I need some loctite

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.