Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Prop shaft?
Gripenland

posted on 17/4/04 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Prop shaft?

It seems to me that most BEC:s use a two piece prop shaft? Why is that? I can understand it if you run a live rear axle. But if you run IRS or De Dion, why not use a one peace prop?

kokos-racing.com

Peteff

posted on 17/4/04 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
There will be a lot of weight on the bike output and it will be hard to balance as it will tend to bend in the middle, like a bow.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mk-Ninja

posted on 17/4/04 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Also you would have to alter the transmission tunnel to get a straight line from the output shaft to the diff.

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

ChrisBradley04

posted on 17/4/04 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
You can also make them a lot lighter if you support them in the middle, as each half can be made from smaller bore/thickness tubing.

Regards
Chris

Gripenland

posted on 17/4/04 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your input guys!

Mayby I'm a bit slow but...

Peteff- Isn't the bike output shaft designed so take the load from the sprocket and chain of the motorbike? To me it seems that radial force is much higher with a sprocket and chain than the weight of a propshaft? Or am I missing something?

ChrisBradley04- I thought tourque set the dimensions of the tube? Not vibration. Have I got that wrong?

kokos-racing.com

undecided

posted on 17/4/04 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
they break..believe me you want some kind of centre bearing to hold the bloody thing still because all sorts of nasty things can and do happen when things spin at 10,000rpm!
Don't let some muppet say you can have a propshaft getting on for 4ft long without it being supported...i did and it snapped....enough said!

Gripenland

posted on 17/4/04 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by undecided
they break..believe me you want some kind of centre bearing to hold the bloody thing still because all sorts of nasty things can and do happen when things spin at 10,000rpm!
Don't let some muppet say you can have a propshaft getting on for 4ft long without it being supported...i did and it snapped....enough said!

Damn, that must have been scary I sure hope that it all ended well?

kokos-racing.com

Gripenland

posted on 17/4/04 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
undecided- You are right. RPM and length kills the prop. Angles are also important.

I found this on the web. This is for dragrcing props Rescued attachment proptable.jpg
Rescued attachment proptable.jpg

kokos-racing.com

Bob C

posted on 17/4/04 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Critical speed is speed at which the natural fundamental resonant frequency of the tube (bending in the middle & twanging up & down) equals its rotational speed. If anything is going to go wrong - this is when it will happen...
Good data, but I can't see material info, just diameter of tube - maybe it's just me not looking properly
Bob C

Gripenland

posted on 17/4/04 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Here is a link to the data sheet.

kokos-racing.com

woodster

posted on 17/4/04 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
PROP SHAFT
Gripenland

posted on 17/4/04 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodster
PROP SHAFT

???

kokos-racing.com

Peteff

posted on 17/4/04 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
(bending in the middle & twanging up & down)

Like a bow in laymans terms.
To me it seems that radial force is much higher with a sprocket and chain than the weight of a propshaft?
I'm talking about the weight, not the force it exerts in rotation. The sprocket adaptor and propshaft all bear down on the bearing carrying the output shaft.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

woodster

posted on 17/4/04 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
search ........... prop pic ........ and look in my photo achive ................ or search woodster
Gripenland

posted on 17/4/04 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
The sprocket adaptor and propshaft all bear down on the bearing carrying the output shaft.

Yes, but when the engine turns the chain it will also load the the same bearing. So to me that inicates that the bearing is designed to handle some serious loads. Ok the direction of the forces are not the same but still.

kokos-racing.com

Gripenland

posted on 17/4/04 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodster
search ........... prop pic ........ and look in my photo achive ................ or search woodster

Hmm, I see what you mean Did you use a one peace prop?

kokos-racing.com

ChrisGamlin

posted on 17/4/04 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Someone in the know on the BEC list worked out that to make a single piece prop the length required for a BEC and able to rotate at the speeds required, it would need to be something like 6" in diameter!
I only know of one person who had a single piece prop in a BEC about 3 years ago, and that too broke catastrophically. If you want to confirm it, maybe give someone like Bailey Morris a call and ask them their opinion.

Woodsters wasnt a one piece prop, but it had the scariest bodge of a prop flange ever known to man (not done by him I must add!)

Chris

JoelP

posted on 17/4/04 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
someone said that there is an equation involving the square of the length, apparently this is why length makes things much worse.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Gripenland

posted on 18/4/04 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
It is obvius that a two peace prop is the way to go unless you go really high tec.

Us vans have very long one peace prop shafts. But they turn at a slow rpm and have a large diameter so they get away with it.

The Volvo XC90 have a 1.5m long single peace propshaft. Its only 60mm in diameter but I guess it turns slow to.

kokos-racing.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.