Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is it reasonable to expect my money back if a courier fails to deliver?
Rek

posted on 23/12/09 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Is it reasonable to expect my money back if a courier fails to deliver?

Paid for express delivery on something I needed for work on monday, it got shipped from Bolton as far as the courier office in reading overnight and then sat there yesterday instead of coming to where I'm working.

I'm not complaining they didnt try to deliver as I wouldnt want anyone taking risks but I'm annoyed that when I ask for the £6 (which is a lot of money to me) back they said..

"Under normal circumstances we would refund a delivery surcharge for a next day delivery if it failed to take place on the day arranged if ourselves or the courier, UPS in this case, had made an error. I have tracked your parcel on the UPS website and the reason the delivery failed yesterday is due to adverse weather conditions. With this being out of our control, we are unable to refund any delivery charges."

they didnt tell me it wasnt coming yesterday as I would have gone and got it myself...I didnt finish my job and am working a day for free.... I get fed up with the "sorry out of my hands" attitude that exists as I've always tried to be fair and square with my customers... I read "unable" as dont want to :-(

Sorry for sounding like a grumpy old sod.

Litemoth

posted on 23/12/09 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with you and am in the same situation regarding Christmas presents.
If you have not received the (premium) service you've paid for then you would expect not to have to pay.
The problem is, i suspect at some point you've agreed by their terms of carriage wherin they have this covered probably by saying that this is an 'act of god' and therefore out if their control and making them not liable for the failure to deliver on time.
Worth checking the smallprint and writing a letter though.

[Edited on 23/12/09 by Litemoth]

scootz

posted on 23/12/09 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Ha Ha... I've not seen one of those for years (the BigTrak in Litemoth's Avatar).

I got one for my Xmas in the late 70's!

It's Evolution Baby!

r1_pete

posted on 23/12/09 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
As they didn't incurr any premium service cost because they didn't deliver on time, what cost do they have to pass on?

A refund of the difference between normal and premium service is the least they can do.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AndyW

posted on 23/12/09 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
surely the "act of god" only apply's if one actually believes in god. Can they prove beyond reasonable doubt that "god" caused the weather conditions rather than the eco system?? must be worth a try
scudderfish

posted on 23/12/09 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
I ordered a welder from MachineMart last Wednesday and paid for 24hr delivery. The muppets at Parcelforce failed to deliver it on Thursday when the roads were nice and clear and have been citing "Adverse weather conditions" ever since. Doesn't seem to have affected the Ocado/TNT/UPS vans though.

Anyway, I moaned to MachineMart and they refunded me the full postage (not just the difference for 24hr) and they are chasing ParcelForce for their money back.

oldtimer

posted on 23/12/09 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
I had a good one recently too. I paid for 24 hr delivery - it was not delivered in 3 days. 4th day was a Saturday and they told me they were not going to deliver it that day as I had not paid for a Saturday delivery......
wilkingj

posted on 23/12/09 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Check their T's & C's.

only then will you know if you are able to claim or not.

IMHO if they didnt supply the service you contracted with them, they are liable.

however read the small print as they probably have a get out clause!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 23/12/09 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
They'll have got a lawyer to write the T+Cs which means there will be all kind of waffle about force majeur and acts of god.

IE it'll rather be like Orange broadbands "unlimited" service where it's unlimited as long as you don't use it too much and their "fair usage policy" sometimes kicks in well below the level at which they cap capped services.

Go figure....

mad4x4

posted on 23/12/09 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
surely the "act of god" only apply's if one actually believes in god. Can they prove beyond reasonable doubt that "god" caused the weather conditions rather than the eco system?? must be worth a try

Yes but it will also fall into the Adverse Weather clause...... Floods Lightening, Terrorisum etc etc.

Surely all couriers need to re-evaluate the T&C to say

"We will only deliver if world peace is agreed and we can dictate the weather, traffic conditions etc."

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

iank

posted on 23/12/09 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
"Act of god" is a legal term meaning "no one's fault/responsibility", not an affirmation of the existence of said deity(s).

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

morcus

posted on 23/12/09 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Cancel the order and then they have to (By Law) refund the cost of the Item and the postage. I saw something about it on Tv last week (Probably on the One Show) which said anything you buy over the phone or net you have ten days after you recieve it in which to cancel your order with no reasons necessary for a full refund and refund on the postage charges they made (So it would only cost what it cost you to get it back to them).

I would say they should give you the postage back, because they didn't tell you they had changed the postal arangement because of the weather.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Rek

posted on 23/12/09 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
thanks peeps...

I'm going to reply and ask again, especially since the untimed free delivery arrived first!!!!

JoelP

posted on 23/12/09 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
its a foolish approach for them anyway, as they will only loose customers! They would still get paid for the basic delivery!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

mr henderson

posted on 23/12/09 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rek

"Under normal circumstances we would refund a delivery surcharge for a next day delivery if it failed to take place on the day arranged if ourselves or the courier, UPS in this case, had made an error. I have tracked your parcel on the UPS website and the reason the delivery failed yesterday is due to adverse weather conditions. With this being out of our control, we are unable to refund any delivery charges."

I hate this kind of thing- what they mean is unwilling, not unable, and they should bloody well say so. Of course they are able to refund, they are just choosing not to.

Ninehigh

posted on 23/12/09 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
F**k that I come to work on frozen roads on a moped, and they can't drive a van? Ffs pansies.

I love driving in these conditions (on four wheels mind) cos very few people are out and able to drive properly in the conditions.

Well that's what I'd tell them anyway

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.