Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Linux Mint how to set-up remote connection to Work via VPN?
AdrianH

posted on 24/12/09 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Linux Mint how to set-up remote connection to Work via VPN?

Trying to save myself from bringing the works PC home and wondering if this can be done via Linuxmint. I am really just a basic user of the operating system.

On Windows you can right click on the network icon in the task bar, open up network connections and add a new connection, work through the wizard and add a vpn tunnels etc to connect to works network. From there I can use emails etc and be basically logged in.

I also use remote desktop to monitor several systems to check for remote faults.

How do I do the first bit? I have done the remote desktop between pc before when on the same network here at home and all machine run Linux in one form or another, but never between different operating systems across the Internet.

I will be taking my PC into work to see what the IT staff could offer, but would think as everything is Windows XP and 2003 server, it would not be that easy.

Cheers

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

Jubal

posted on 24/12/09 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
You probably need to install linux-pptp and network-manager-pptp as you would under ubuntu. There's a load of help and guides for this on the net. Search for "ubuntu pptp vpn".
AdrianH

posted on 24/12/09 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you for that.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

jeffw

posted on 24/12/09 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
It all depends on what remote access solution your firm runs. It is unlikely that PPTP would be allowed via a firewall. Ask you IT dept what remote access solutions are support and go from there (likely to be some form of IKE VPN or possibly SSL VPN).

twinturbo

posted on 27/12/09 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
I just use ssh to get to a linux box at work, then run rdesktop on the remote system.

Simples...

I also have Nomachine NX set up on one of the servers which makes it a bit faster.

TT

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.