Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ye old chestnut (as its xmas) - tyre choices
flak monkey

posted on 24/12/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Ye old chestnut (as its xmas) - tyre choices

As funds are tight it looks like I will be keeping my current Wolfrace wheels, heavy as they are, for the time being. I quite like them from an aesthetics point of view as well.

The rims are 15x6.5 and currently fitted with rubbish Nangkang 195/50 tyres. They dont have an awful lot of grip, and with the pinto it was quite a laugh but they'll be leathal with the Duratec I think.

I am thinking of keeping the same width tyres on the front but fitting wider to the rear.

I know the widest I can fit on 6.5" rims, realistically, is 225/50.

So what would be the best tyre choice? Toyo T1-R? R888? Any other makes to consider?

Car is used solely on the road, and often in all weathers during the summer.

TIA,
David

ETA - found this really good wheel/tyre comparitor tells you all you need to know about fitments

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

[Edited on 24/12/09 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

scootz

posted on 24/12/09 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
For all weather use David, I can't see past the Yoko A021R... grippy enough and communicative in the dry and wet.

It's Evolution Baby!

tomgregory2000

posted on 24/12/09 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Im going to be fitting T1-R on my 300+ bhp toy once its done, they seem to be a good allround and they are used in a few race series(tvr cup)
ReMan

posted on 24/12/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
And I've been happy with T1-R/S all rou
nd perfomace and VFM

The Knobs

posted on 24/12/09 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Kumho Ku31 if they do the size. Work very well on Elise/vx220 on road and track. Cheap as chips.
flak monkey

posted on 24/12/09 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting replies, thanks guys.

I have heard a few good things about the Kumho's, but it wasnt a brand I was very familiar with. They dont seem to list the KU31's in the right sizes either.

Also the A021R aren't available in the sizes I would like from what I can see. A048's are but then in the same league as the R888's from Toyo.

At the moment it still looks like T1-R's could be top of the list.

The only thing stopping me going for R888's or A048's is the wet weather stuff. That said its not all that often....

Hmm

Sera

beaver34

posted on 24/12/09 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
dont discount r888,

have awatch of this, both similar power to weight, one on r888!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRLefZIINCo

Avoneer

posted on 24/12/09 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah - but you're looking at £130 for T1's or £260 for 888's.

T1's for winter.

888's for summer.

Simples.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 25/12/09 at 01:53 AM Reply With Quote
Im considering T1-R's on the tintop but for the seven as soon as i get enough for a new set of tyres i'll be going for the r888's.
- I would fit a set of a048's but i just dont think you can ignore the price of the r888's which for 13" are sub £50 (dont know what the pricing is like for larger tyres)

I currently have RE720's on for road tyres and some A032's for the track and even though the 32' are siz years old and worn past the legal limit (hence the 720's) they outperform in the wet on track.

Ive not driven on the road in semi-slicks myself as ive not owned a road legal set yet but by all accounts you get more grip from them than anything else even when wet. If theres standing water you will aquaplane reagradless so you might as well have as much nice soft rubber on the tarmac while yuor not seems to be the thinking.

Daniel

goaty

posted on 25/12/09 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
i run 048's on mine but in my opinion i wouldn't want to take it out if wet, not enough grip for me.
T-1r'd are on my run about and even in the snow and ice they seem ok, great in the dry for what they cost. think it was £37 a tyre for mine.
cheers

MikeRJ

posted on 25/12/09 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
Im considering T1-R's on the tintop

Note that whilst they have excellent grip (dry and wet) they do have rather soft sidewalls, and this can really affect the way a car feels, especially on heavier ones. I've had T1's on my Fiat Coupe for the last couple of years and just switched to Goodyear Eagle F1s and whilst grip levels seem to be very similar, turn in has improved significantly and the car feels more stable when cornering.

goaty

posted on 25/12/09 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
yeah i forgot to mention that, side walls are very soft, ride nice though
speedystew

posted on 26/12/09 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
you could also look at scudo stunner,marangoni zeta linea and also yokohama parada all around 40 quid for 195 50 15 from places like camskill etc
nz_climber

posted on 27/12/09 at 03:04 AM Reply With Quote
The new toyo R1R are out here now, so I am sure you get them over there, its better in the wet than a R888, but quicker in the dry T1R. Seem to be the best of both worlds.

Also another semi slick option is the Silverstone FTZ-RR they had a great review on westfield, and won above a A048, and R888. Have heard the are alot better in the wet than the others in test.

http://aarons7.wordpress.com

Willie

posted on 27/12/09 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
I've run both T1R and R888s all year round, on a Caterham as my daily driver. I would never go back to the T1Rs after having the R888s.

Infact, I was so impressed with them, I was telling my mate to get a set, but he didn't really appreciate how good they were. I put my R888s on his 1600cc Caterham and I put the T1Rs on my 1800cc (Which had about 20-30bhp more) and we went for a drive. On straights at speed I had him. Accelerating from junctions he got off the line quicker as my extra torque spun the T1Rs. In corners I was barely hanging on and he was pulling away.

This was 195 T1Rs vs 185 R888s, running sensible tyre pressures.

The T1Rs are good tyres, but they're nothing compared to R888s. Sevens are so light that unless you're going for pram width tyres, you're going to aquaplane anyway. I found the R888s much better in the wet than they look. On a damp road they are better than the T1R, as you can warm them up and they bite in. Standing water I actually found them both the same, possibly the T1R very slightly better, but not so much that I'd go back to them.

The thing I like most about the R888s is not the grip. Its the way they let go. I only drive sideways, and my local tyre supplier used to laugh that I was the only customer who actually asked for a tyre with no grip. R888s have STACKS of grip, but more importantly, they let go really predictably, so you can very easily slide the car about and feel the limit more.

Other tyres you might want to look in to are Kumho V70s, alot of the Caterham sprint guys run these and say they're on par with R888s, stickier in soft compound, but wear out much quicker. Go medium or hard for road.

Just my 2p - if you can find the size you like in R888s, go for them.

Willie

flak monkey

posted on 3/1/10 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Still thinking about this I'm afraid!

Its still a toss up between the T1R and the R888 then by the looks of it. Both are available in the sies I want to run.

But then there is also the RA1, available in 225/50r15 and 205/50r15. Which certainly look the biz, but i have never heard of anyone using them?

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-ra1

Sera

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.