Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover Metro Chassis
Dusty_Crewe

posted on 25/12/09 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Rover Metro Chassis

Hi guys,

I have a metro and wondering what chassis i would need to build myself. Has anyone done this before ? what mods did you have to do to the chassis ?

Any help will be much appreciated

Dusty

prawnabie

posted on 25/12/09 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Any particlar reason you want to use the metro other than the fact you have one?

Depending on you going the locost or middy route, you would have to buy and fabricate alot of new parts.

Id be tempted to sell the metro and find yourself a sierra donor instead. Although sierras are getting rare they are still available if you look hard enough.

Seems pointless to fabricate a chassis and loads of bespoke parts for a metro donor when a few weeks more and you could have had a sierra which is the most common.

[Edited on 25/12/09 by prawnabie]

ReMan

posted on 25/12/09 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
I suggest you have a good look round the forum as your question is quite like a piece of string
graememk

posted on 25/12/09 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
you could build a robin hood rhm 1000, that used a metro.

or a" kaig" i think it was callefd also used a metro

Steve G

posted on 25/12/09 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
As above from Prawnabie and pretty much generic advice to anyone looking to build a kit car - decide what car you want to build and then buy a suitable donor (or parts) for it.

No point spending several thousand pounds building a particular car because you have a £100 car as a donor.

Sorry but this probably isnt what you wanted to hear.

[Edited on 25/12/09 by Steve G]

designer

posted on 25/12/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have an old Kaig parked in my shed. Based on an MG metro. Been stood a few years.

Any body want one??

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dusty_Crewe

posted on 25/12/09 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
LOL it might not be what i wanted to hear, but it's the information i was after. If it's easier and cheaper to do it based on a sierra then thats the road for me. But i might go for the redtop XE instead of the sierra. As i've used it before on an old project of mine.

Thanks for your input guys a major help, ill sell the car and put the money towards the new project.

Thanks again

Dusty

MakeEverything

posted on 26/12/09 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
It would be quite easy to use the front subframe as the basis for a middy though.

Youll need loads of space, and a flat, level bench to work from though.
The datums for the rear are the rear mounts on the front subframe, and the front of the car needs to be measured and built from scratch from there.

I havent done this, but ive seen it done and planned a project like this in the past (albeit only half way before scrapping the idea).

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

MikeRJ

posted on 26/12/09 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Only Rover Metro/100 based kit cars I can think of are:

Various Banham junk (Bat, X21 etc)
Onyx Firefox (ugliest car ever made)
Onyx Mongoose (7-esque mid-engined car)
GTM Rossa K3
GTM Libra/Spyder
Midas Cortez/Excelsior (ugly but not in the same league as the Firefox!)

The Onyx mongoose looked quite a promising design, but is no longer made and I don't think they sold many.

You may be able to use some or all of the drivetrain in one of the modern midi's such as the MK Midi or Sylva Riot if you are happy to make some modifications.

The Rossa K3 isn't a bad car, if you could find an unfinished or unstarted project it might be a good choice. The Libra/Sypder is an awesome car, but a very expensive build.

[Edited on 26/12/09 by MikeRJ]

trextr7monkey

posted on 26/12/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Scamp , Blitz Buggy, Stimpson scorcher ............... OK maybe the sierra isn't such a bad option

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

MikeRJ

posted on 26/12/09 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trextr7monkey
Scamp , Blitz Buggy, Stimpson scorcher ............... OK maybe the sierra isn't such a bad option

Scamp and Stimpson scorcher are mini based, and use the A series, I kind of assumed the the OP's cars was a Rover metro with the K series engine?

Blitz buggy is a good call though; relatively cheap to buy and build and look like a whole lot of fun to drive. The KR2 and KR3 take the K series drivetrain.

Dusty_Crewe

posted on 27/12/09 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys never thought about going down another kitcar route always thought of the caterham. I do like the Banham bat or 200 lol but i might sell up and get a redtop and slap one of those in. I do like the power out put you get from them. But hey i might just use a serria or something depends what i can find

But thanks again guys so nice ideas

aitch

posted on 28/12/09 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
what about this then for your metro ???

quote:
Originally posted by designer
I have an old Kaig parked in my shed. Based on an MG metro. Been stood a few years.

Any body want one??

aitch

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.