Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fancy making your own fibreglass body-panels
orton1966

posted on 28/12/09 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Fancy making your own fibreglass body-panels

Right, just to make it clear this is not an advert of commercial post! It is an idea I am putting out-there! As a possible future venture but currently I don’t have the moulds to make it work so for now it is just a way of judging opinions and possible demand.

Recently there has been a raft of how-to enquiries regarding fibreglass work and repairs. Here’s what I was thinking:

Get a few sets of Haynes, locost, seat and body moulds together and offer short courses (probably 3 days) where people can not only learn the skills required to make simple fibreglass parts but also come away with a set of panels and/or a pair of seats for their project. Simple idea!

Whilst, I’m sure, there are several people who could now pick up and run with my idea I don’t think anyone will get rich doing it. However I do think, if done correctly, it could provide a good service and be a good little add-on to an existing composite business.

Miks15

posted on 28/12/09 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a cracking idea
rusty nuts

posted on 28/12/09 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like an excellent idea to me. What is your location ?
marcjagman

posted on 28/12/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Made my molds, hardest bit was finding proper tooling gel coat.
Dusty_Crewe

posted on 28/12/09 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
i would also be intressted in doing this. Please let me know what comes of this and if you need help in away let me know

Dusty

stev24276

posted on 28/12/09 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
making your own body panels

i would like to learn to make fibreglass panels i would also like to make ally panels
orton1966

posted on 28/12/09 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Location, Location, Location

I could actually use any of these locations, Nottingham, Kegworth or Stokesley. Basically I own a kayak and canoe manufacturing business and have been involved in fibreglass business for over 20 years. We do everything from design to tooling to final product all in-house. As well as the watersports side of the business we also have experience in projects as diverse as architectural products and highend motorsport.

So watch this space it could happen sooner than people think

gingerprince

posted on 29/12/09 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a great idea. I assume it'll include how to actually go about creating a mould though? All very well learning to use a mould and making your own seat, but when you get home and can't do anything else because you don't have a mould it'd be less valuable I'd think.
Hammerhead

posted on 29/12/09 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
keep me updated please.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.