Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Overclocking .....
Jasper

posted on 29/12/09 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Overclocking .....

So what is it, and can a non-serious PC user do it? I built my own machine, and can do a bit in the BIOS setting, but never attempted overclocking.

So, would it be worth me giving a go, or should I get in my local teccie guy to do it for me.

And I've had CPU overheating problems down to no new paste when I replaced the MB (got some paste today), is it worth getting a new CPU heatsink/fan? If so, any recommendations?

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

MakeEverything

posted on 29/12/09 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Dont know anything about overclocking (other than i could do with a bit more performance on the laptop), but i wouldnt bother with a new heatsink or fan.

Just plenty of thermal paste. Its surprising how much of a difference it makes. You can see the CPU temperature from the BIOS screen.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Benzine

posted on 29/12/09 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
use decent paste. i got some paste from a local shop, couple of quid. It made my cpu run around 28C, after switching to artic silver it came down to 14C.

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 29/12/09 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Ahhh - just spent £4 in PC world for probably poo paste, I'll get some Artic Silver then!

BenB

posted on 29/12/09 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'd give it a go. But you'll want to sort out the over-heating problem first... if it's over-heating as it is just wait until you crank up the clock speed.

Get the cooling sorted first then use a program like Speedfan to keep an eye on the CPU temperature whilst running Prime95 on torture test.

If Prime95 gets readings it's not expecting it will warn you (suggestive of your rig becoming unstable due to excessive over-clocking). Slowly increase the speed and job's a good 'un.

You might need to have a look at your memory speeds as well to make sure they can handle the increase.

It does get quite complicated

deezee

posted on 29/12/09 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Well it depends how much increase you want? I used to have water cooled rig running around + 25% and it was stinking hot. Your going to wreck something using a oem heatsink and fan. But 1st off, what mobo, gpu and cpu are you using?

Thermal paste is there to fill in any small gaps between the heatsink and core, to remove air. Its there to assist the heatsink and only the minimum amount should be used.

I would have thought a 5% increase could be achieved with stock parts, then 10% aftermarket coolers. anything over 20% your into water cooling. Of course its all academic if your mobo has crap overclocking options.

Jasper

posted on 29/12/09 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Mobo is a new EVGA 780i SLi 775:

http://www.evga.com/articles/385.asp

CPU is a Quad Core Intel - can't remember which one, memory is new Corsair sticks with heat sinks - 6Gb. Running 64bit Windows 7.

Gpu is a new NVidia 896MB XFX GTX 260 Black 55nm, 2000MHz GDDR3, GPU 680MHz, Shader 1440 MHz, 216 Cores,

[Edited on 29/12/09 by Jasper]

dhutch

posted on 29/12/09 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
For a boggo machine £4 pcswerl paste is proberbly fine to be honest.
- Overclocking potential depends a lot of CPU and Mobo options.

Im running a 1800+ athlon chip (default clock speed 1400mhz ish at a 2200mhz but its a JIUHB chip (certain batch or type of althon chip from around that time) and there infamous for overclocking.

This is on an oem spec heatsink and fan, with the fan running on 7v not 12, stock vcore voltage. Running a stable 40deg idle 55deg at full load. Maybe 60 on a hotday.

But yeah, in short, significate overlclocks are possable. But more than 5% or so is rair without a lot of work. Fot more info head to somehwere like hexus forums or even a dedicated overclocking forum (anyhwere but OcUK)

Daniel

BenB

posted on 29/12/09 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
For the record I went from 2.66Ghz to 3.02Ghz on a standard heatsink and fan with just some CPU goo

Stable as a rock. And that's a P4 which are pretty toasty warm to begin with...

Dusty_Crewe

posted on 29/12/09 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
You got to be carefull. People will say that it runs fine but if the psu fails or parts of the psu fails you have no motherboard and processor.

If you want to overclock please add a better fan. Alot of the fans out there tell you what speed they are designed for so know what you want to go up to or there abouts and then buy a better fan. Then move in slow amounts, so go about 10mbs first and then test and keep on moving up till it crashies then go back one step and test again if it works fine then i wouldnt go futher.

I did write a walkthrough about it once but i'm not at home to post it up. Ill have a look for it later and post it up.

Dusty

Peteff

posted on 29/12/09 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
I used to have an old PIII 500 that clocked up to over 700 and still ran but it did get hot. With quad core the price they are now I can't see any point in it. Your best option nowadays is to upgrade your graphics card which is where the big improvements will be but it is also the most expensive part to change.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

bigfoot4616

posted on 29/12/09 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
quad cores are good overclockers. mine is a q6600 and is running at 3Ghz from a stock 2.4Ghz(25% increase) without having to up the voltage. it was stable at 3.4Ghz but the temps got a little high.
i'm using a arctic cooling freezer 7 which is a cheap option, much better ones are available.

best thing to do is have a search on the net for overclocking guides and have a read of a few.

first thing i do with a new CPU is overclock it, might as well have it running as fast as it can

MikeRJ

posted on 29/12/09 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
A really decent PSU (compared to the utter crap you get with cheap cases) is a very worthy investment, but ultimately over-clocking ability comes down to motherboard, CPU and RAM performance. Note that power consumption rises with clock rate, so decent cooling is mandatory
gottabedone

posted on 29/12/09 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
your GTX 260 will run like a toaster when you put a decent 3d game through it. It's a big card so will break up the airflow around your case. If you're going to overclock then get a decent heatsink/fan combo and look at your case fans or the location of your case (think of it like a radiator).

You might also look at the power supply that you have. Not so much for the massive wattages that you read about (a bit like BHP pub chat) but the fact that cabling is modular - I use the predecessor to this in a gaming rig and had two nvidia cards in Sli on it.

Have a look here for all of the info that you need.

Steve

Liam

posted on 1/1/10 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Back in the day I had a PIII 650MHz running at 975MHz solid as a rock with just a better heatsink and fan! Those CPUs were famous overclockers. It would go higher - up to 1GHz but, if I recall, that required non standard settings for memory and PCI/AGP etc that my other bits complained about and the system was unstable.

Stuff I've had after that - AMDs mostly hasn't responded to even slight overclocking at all so I've not bothered. Am now considering upgrading to an i5 and hear they are great overclockers with the standard 2.6GHz taken all the way up to 4 in some extreme cases!

My knowledge is out of date now as it was from the PIII days. Anyone know how much things have changed? Your overclocking options were CPU multiplier and/or FSB. Some CPUs were multiplier locked so you could only increase FSB. Increasing FSB meant memory/AGP/PCI etc all were overclocked too leading to instability even if the CPU was willing. If I recall, my PIII mobo allowed the FSB to memory/PCI ratio to be altered so that you could effectively change the FSB without affecting memory/PCI. So I upped the FSB from 100MHz standard to 150MHz (650 becomes 975) but was able to choose a 2/3 FSB/memory ratio so the rest of the system was back down at the standard 100MHz.

Is this still the state of play nowadays, or do all mobos generally offer full independant CPU overclocking options without effecting memory/PCI? Or are multipliers unlocked nowadays? Pointers to an idiots guide but with up to date info would be handy.

Cheers,

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
prawnabie

posted on 1/1/10 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Ive been running a 2.6ghz quad core at 4.02ghz for about 2 years now and ive had the old crash but nothing major.

It is supposed to shorten the life of the stressed components but mines been fine so far..

[Edited on 1/1/10 by prawnabie]

Liam

posted on 1/1/10 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
Ive been running a 2.6ghz quad core at 4.02ghz for about 2 years now and ive had the old crash but nothing major.

It is supposed to shorten the life of the stressed components but mines been fine so far..

[Edited on 1/1/10 by prawnabie]

That require water cooling? Is that with memory and everything else overclocked or do you have the option to do CPU independantly on your mobo?

prawnabie

posted on 2/1/10 at 12:53 AM Reply With Quote
yeah its watercooled. The FSB and memory speed is unlinked and the memorys running a 800mhz iirc

[Edited on 2/1/10 by prawnabie]

bigfoot4616

posted on 2/1/10 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
FSB and memory speed are linked(at least my quad is) but if the memory ratio is set to auto in bios memory will be run at SPD speed.

i think the i5/i7 chips are different though

Liam

posted on 2/1/10 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Been looking at a few overclocking vids on youtube - looks similar to what I remember with a few more settings to take into account (QPI clock??). Probably wont take too long to get up to speed. Having said that, I'm considering an overclocked i5 mobo bundle from overclockers.co.uk now. Barely any more than the cost of the individual standard parts, and includes a water cooler, but already set up and tested with the i5 overclocked from 2.66 to 4GHz!! Seems like a good deal to give somebody else the hassle!

Don't help Jasper though . But if you just google overclocking i5 (or whatever CPU you have) there's loads of guides and videos out there. Good luck.

Liam

[Edited on 2/1/10 by Liam]

Ninehigh

posted on 2/1/10 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
I will warn you though, I did that to my Athlon xp2800+, ran it at just under 3ghz for about 2 years until I had to reinstall windows. Then it refused to go past 1150mhz, the next time it c**ked up it didn't make 1050mhz and now it's just dead.

I had an artic cooler cpu fan, another in the back and a 5.25" drive bay fan. Ran about 50deg at cpu and 30deg in the case so it wasn't really hot either.

MakeEverything

posted on 3/1/10 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Ran about 50deg at cpu and 30deg in the case so it wasn't really hot either.

Modern computer rooms are designed to run at an ambient of 21 degrees, whereas old computer rooms were always set o run at 19 degrees (or lower in some instances). 30 (or 32??) degrees ambient was the point of critical failure from memory. This might be the cause of your problem.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Marcus

posted on 3/1/10 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
The talk of plenty of heat sink paste is not good, the idea of the goo is to transfer heat to the heatsink with minimal resistance, you need a spot about the size of a grain of rice between the processor and heatsink for the most efficient transfer. A good heatsink and fan are a good idea, look at thermaltake stuff. If you're going mad, then water cooling is effective if a little expensive. ( i don't believe water and electrics go together!! but that's just me )

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

bigfoot4616

posted on 3/1/10 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
The talk of plenty of heat sink paste is not good, the idea of the goo is to transfer heat to the heatsink with minimal resistance, you need a spot about the size of a grain of rice between the processor and heatsink for the most efficient transfer.

depends on the CPU. on the quads you put a line of paste across them.

having said that you are right, to much is as bad as not enough

MikeRJ

posted on 3/1/10 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
Don't help Jasper though . But if you just google overclocking i5

...then you will find quite a few people that have suffered from burnt CPU sockets!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.