Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX9r vs R1 vs ZX12r Kit Cars
evo.rocks

posted on 4/1/10 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
ZX9r vs R1 vs ZX12r Kit Cars

How much difference is there between a ZX9r and R1 kit car in acceleration up to 100mph???

Is there a huge difference in the 2 engines??

And then again, is there much difference between the ZX9r and the ZX12r in acceleration up to 100mph??

The reason i ask is, i want to no is there much point in me changing my ZX9 engine to a R1 or ZX12.

It is never tracked and only driven round the rounds...

eznfrank

posted on 4/1/10 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
The main difference will be passenger rides or if you're a "large" chap. If most of the time it's just you then you probably won't notice much of a difference.
sorens2

posted on 4/1/10 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
I think my ZX12 is quite a bit faster that the R1 i tried.
More torque overall.
And the difference from a 9 must be even bigger.
I would never change to a R1.

Soren S2

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 4/1/10 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
depends on the age of the engine. there's about 30 BHP difference between early and late R1s (that's about 20%).

russbost

posted on 4/1/10 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
There won't be a huge difference in absolute performance, particularly between the Zx9 & the R1.
As has already been said will be more noticeable the heavier the car & the more weight in it.
The Zx9 will be slowest & theZx12 quickest with the R1 in the middle.
I think the biggest difference you'll find is that with the ZX12 because it has more torque it's a lot more forgiving & unless you're trying to wring the last ounce of performance out of it you don't need to redline it all the time. You'll find the power delivery is more solid & consistant

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
A1

posted on 4/1/10 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
why would you never change to r1 sorens?
Peteff

posted on 4/1/10 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
why would you never change to r1 sorens?

Because he has a ZX12 ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

daniel mason

posted on 4/1/10 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
what diff do you use?
Hellfire

posted on 4/1/10 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
In terms of acceleration, 100mph would take approximately quarter of a mile to achieve. By way of comparison, the quarter mile times that we've seen with all three BEC's in attendance on the same day at a drag event are as follows;

ZX12R - 12.523 secs
ZX9R - 13.128 secs
R1 - 13.557 secs

The ZX9R was fitted with a flatshifter though, so would have been quicker through the gears than the other two.

The most noticeable difference with the ZX12R is the low down torque and general driveability with/without passenger.

I reckon your money would be better spent on a few modifications such as lightweight parts and possibly a flatshifter rather than an engine swap.

Phil

sorens2

posted on 4/1/10 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
My diff is 3.38
My 1/4 mile is 12.4 sec without flatshift.
And I would never go down in power.
So no R1 for me.
But the R1 is a very good engine for the locoster.

Soren S2

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
afj

posted on 6/1/10 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
me and ed have errr 'raced ' from 0-120mph ish he has indy r zx12r and me in the indy r1 and he ends up around 10 - 15 meters ahead at 120ish, he is slowly pulling away all the time after about 80mph

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

evo.rocks

posted on 6/1/10 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
fair no enough, no point what so ever in changing the zx9r then, its fast enough by the sounds of it. even quicker than the r1 on the quarter mile!!
matt.c

posted on 7/1/10 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
My zx9 powered indy kept up with a few bigger engined cars.

evo.rocks

posted on 3/2/10 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
yep, i raced my mates r1 engined westfield the other day on private land and i beat him over about quarter of a mile, funny that the zx9 engine can be quicker than the r1
eddie99

posted on 3/2/10 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to change thread a bit, but how much difference is the blackbird engine to these?
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Hellfire

posted on 4/2/10 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Figures for the Blackbird engine would be very similar.

Phil

StevieB

posted on 4/2/10 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
The problem is the age of the engines - take a fireblade for instance.

Early blade are about 125bhp (you can just about get that from a 600 these days), where the current models are pushing close to 180-190 bhp and are also lighter and more compact.

Ditto for the R1 - the later models are putting out 180bhp and that's before it gets a power commander and a freer flowing exhaust.

Ultimately, I think the way to address which bike engine to have revolves around getting the newest motor you can afford and forget about where it came from. The difference will be so minor that a slight driving error will make the difference.

And the most importantly, none of them will be a car engine, which can only be a good thing

franky

posted on 5/2/10 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't get a newer R1 engine on as from 2008 onwards they are about 20bhp down on other makes. Anyone who says they make more torque don't really understand how the engine was designed as it doesn't.... the firing order is suppose to reduce stress on bike rubber. This feeling might increase the feel of torque on a bike but in a car it'll just feel more gutless.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.