Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MG TF Rear Uprights
zilspeed

posted on 6/1/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
MG TF Rear Uprights

British Trident pointed these out earlier, but his post got rather lost in a thread.

I think these are significant enough to warrant their own post.

Let me think, these or an old Sierra hub bolted up to a hub carrier which you have to buy or have fabricated.

That's a tricky one...

Not completely usefull for someone building a kit, but for a special builder, an interesting part.

[Edited on 6/1/10 by zilspeed] Rescued attachment TF Rear Hub.jpg
Rescued attachment TF Rear Hub.jpg

marcjagman

posted on 6/1/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Does the sierra bearing fit these or do you have to use MGF hubs and make shafts fit?
orton1966

posted on 6/1/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Price looks good

looked on ebay and pricing looks very good, does anyone know how they stand weight wise against the fabricated Haynes type? Also if using MGF hubs PCD is something like 95mm!
zilspeed

posted on 6/1/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marcjagman
Does the sierra bearing fit these or do you have to use MGF hubs and make shafts fit?

That, I couldnt tell you, but I would be inclined to use the TF hubs and cv joints.
To me, the point about them is that they are intended to be used pretty much in an identical fashion to the manner in which I would want to use them anyway.

zilspeed

posted on 6/1/10 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by orton1966
looked on ebay and pricing looks very good, does anyone know how they stand weight wise against the fabricated Haynes type? Also if using MGF hubs PCD is something like 95mm!

95.25 if youre being completely pedantic...

A very quick google finds modified hubs at 4x100mm PCD.
There are loads of wheels / brake discs available at that PCD.

orton1966

posted on 6/1/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
I knew switching hubs was an option

Yes I guess switching hubs is one option but that cost has to be considered. I do fully agree that they look an interesting upright though
zilspeed

posted on 7/1/10 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
MGF rear hub exploded drawing Rescued attachment MGF Hub Diag.jpg
Rescued attachment MGF Hub Diag.jpg

40inches

posted on 7/1/10 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Not that expensive on the BAY
brianthemagical

posted on 7/1/10 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Fitting the Sierra hub be more of less a case of fitting a bearing with the right inner and out dimensions, and then adjusting the length of the wishbones to suit the driveshaft.
britishtrident

posted on 7/1/10 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
The hub PCD is really 3.75" ie Triumph Herald & Formula Ford

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

MikeRJ

posted on 7/1/10 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by orton1966
looked on ebay and pricing looks very good, does anyone know how they stand weight wise against the fabricated Haynes type?

I don't know about weight, but I bet they are considerably more rigid than some of the fabricated uprights I have seen.

dream

posted on 8/1/10 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Hi guys,I want to ask you something,would it be possible to use a rod end in place of the compliance bush of the trailing arm of the MGTF?there is alot of play on this bush,http://www.mgfcar.de/epc/553.htm,number 16,http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-TF%2FMGTF-Drivers-Rear-Compliance-Bush%2FMounting---_W0QQitemZ350147111823QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20091126?IMSfp=TL0911262030 07r11586

[Edited on 8/1/10 by dream]

zilspeed

posted on 8/1/10 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dream
Hi guys,I want to ask you something,would it be possible to use a rod end in place of the compliance bush of the trailing arm of the MGTF?there is alot of play on this bush,http://www.mgfcar.de/epc/553.htm,number 16,http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-TF%2FMGTF-Drivers-Rear-Compliance-Bush%2FMounting---_W0QQitemZ350147111823QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20091126?IMSfp=TL0911262030 07r11586

[Edited on 8/1/10 by dream]

My own thoughts are that I would only use the hub carrier, bearing and hub. The rest of the MG bits would be completely disregarded.

I'll sound like a complete twat here, but bear with me.
Conceptually, the MG bit is very similar to the rear upright used in a single seater.
It's made from cast iron as opposed to cast aluminium, but from a geometrical point of view, it's not light years away.
Maybe being made form a relatively heavy but also relatively indestructable material is a good thing for someone like me.

Ralt RT30 Rear Upright - £350 bare.

MG TF Rear Upright - £35 bare.

Now, I'm not saying they're the same thing or even close, but this is Locostbuilders after all. It's a good hub to use.

I've rambled on, I'll shut up now.

DIY Si

posted on 9/1/10 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Quite glad you've brought this up Zil, as I've been having vague ideas about a single seater too. And also thinking about what uprights would be suitable for sustained road AND track use. I don't think that the ally uprights are quite up to long term road use round my way as the roads are too bumpy. So, as you say, accepting a weight penalty but gaining reliability and a vastly reduced cost is just fine and dandy with me!

Also, there's even some on Ebay for £50 new, complete with bearing and even wheel studs. You'll have to go some way to beat that I think.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

DIY Si

posted on 10/1/10 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Having had a look about for what else could be used, how do the MGTF uprights compare to the MX-5 ones? The MX-5 ones look lighter, but I don't know how they compare geometry wise.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.