Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: De-dion Safety Issues
stig2

posted on 12/1/10 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
De-dion Safety Issues

Good morning all,

Has someone on this site have any influence or can contact Darren George? I have some major structural and safety issues over a De-dion axle I recently purchased from him. I have tried e-mailing and phoneing with no luck, this is his last chance now before I go down the legal route.

Thanks in advance.

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/1/10 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
any chance its snapped in the middle?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stig2

posted on 12/1/10 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
No, but looking at it, thats the first place it will fail. This component will not under any circumstances be fitted to my vehicle. I don't want to say too much at the moment as the axle is under going weld xray and structural compliance for purpose.
Yorkie

posted on 12/1/10 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
I have recently fitted mine, what should I look out for?
oldtimer

posted on 12/1/10 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
You will want flak monkey or eddie99 - these are the two people on here who assist when GTS fail in the civilised habits of pay/supply/communicate. Best of luck.
iank

posted on 12/1/10 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
any chance its snapped in the middle?

The original thread for that issue was deleted.
This thread mentions it and implies those problems were fixed (though the design is inherently more risky than the mandrel bent style).
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=71335

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/1/10 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
A GTS axle snapping has happened before due to poor weld penetration, IIFC it was CalvinX’s car to but that was a while ago and I might be wrong about whose car it was.

I have a GTS axle in my garage that I’m not too keen on selling on tbh even though someone is interested in buying it right now as I think the design is flawed and the weld looks quite shallow. The main tube would be far better bent than welded in the middle.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 12/1/10 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
The main tube would be far better bent than welded in the middle.

you got any pics ?

my Dax ones welded in the middle and I've never heard of any problems with them

[Edited on 12/1/10 by mcerd1]

-

stig2

posted on 12/1/10 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Yorkie,

In my case it is welds that have been completely missed off no weld penetration around the link arm mtgs excessive weld splatter (looks like someones thrown a handfull of rice at it and then covered it in paint), the centre joint looks like they have filled a bigger gap at the rear of the tube than at the front.

Just to let everyone know that this is not a rant but a very concerned customer. My job is a senior design engineer working for one of the biggest chassis/coachbuilders in the world and I have been in the same field of design for 35 years, so to recieve a part in this condition has very frightened indeed.

iank

posted on 12/1/10 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:

you got any pics ?

[Edited on 12/1/10 by mcerd1]

Here's a picture of the MK De-dion. Only possible to make them that way with a mandrel bender which is why so many are welded.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/1/10 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:

you got any pics ?

No not with me

Just my own opinion of the weld but to me it looks too cold and not deep enough. I was originally going to add a plate over it to stiffen it up much like you see on bike frames. When I saw Marks one fail my confidence in whoever it was making them plummeted, maybe that’s different now but I’m not surprised about hearing another axle issue.

Having had the suspension snap on a production car (my last bluebird due to bad factory welding on a trailing rod) and just missing a high speed head on with a golf as my car went mental. The last thing I want to do is give that risk to anyone else, so may just scrap my axle instead.

[Edited on 12/1/10 by Mr Whippy]

MikeR

posted on 12/1/10 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Who's got the popcorn?

Stig2 - please be careful about what you write. From what you've said it sounds like there may be an issue with your axle. If you post things inappropriately here it may prejudice any action you bring against GTS. Check with your solicitor before you say anything & it should hopefully protect the forum from the risk of being sued as well.

A previous forum member did have an issue with a GTS axle, i believe it was sorted in the end but for reasons only he knows he left the forum some time later and deleted all his posts / topics started. Unless the internet time machine / way back machine has his posts you're not going to find out any more.

graememk

posted on 12/1/10 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
it was mark (calvinx) who had a little problem with his de-dion, no longer posting on this site though but i think hes still about under a different name. so i'm sure he will u2u you

the problem he has with his was that it had another chunch of tube welded in the middle

[Edited on 12/1/10 by graememk]

stig2

posted on 12/1/10 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Mike R,

I completely understand what you say, but if the supplier is ingnoring you what are we supposed to do? This is the reason for my original post so he may read this and make an effort to contact me.

eddie99

posted on 12/1/10 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Will send you an U2U now
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
big-vee-twin

posted on 12/1/10 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
I've just fitted my De Dion from GTS got it in November and to be fair it looks ok but I going to really have a good look at it tonight I will let you know my findings.

Looked over last night and all welds appear good - formed correctly and full length

[Edited on 13/1/10 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

big-vee-twin

posted on 12/1/10 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a link to a picture of my GTS De Dion any comments?

link

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Yorkie

posted on 12/1/10 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi stig2, thanks for the info.

I will also check mine tonight.

MikeRJ

posted on 12/1/10 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Someone (sorry can't remember who) cut the tube on their GTS axle close to the ends and welded in a straight bit of tube, the result was certainly more confidence inspiring and allowed a decent amount of clearance for the Panhard rod which is always an issue with these axles.

Personaly I've never been very keen on the GTS axle design, though the link above shows the welded part can be strong enough. Whether any particular axle would have survived the same test is another question.

fesycresy

posted on 12/1/10 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
I like the look of the MK design.

It's a pity they stopped offering it, I think it would out handle a few IRS cars

[Edited on 12/1/10 by fesycresy]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.