Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cyana - Hooooooooow much?
TimC

posted on 12/1/10 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Cyana - Hooooooooow much?

You are having a laugh!

blakep82

posted on 12/1/10 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
but fully built, on the road, painted, trimmed, IVA and everything. £20k is a lot, but i don't think its tooooooo bad

never looked at how much a fully built car would cost though, so i have nothing to base it on lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/1/10 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
ditto it is a built price, look at the production sh%t you can buy for that money

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
deezee

posted on 12/1/10 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
I guess if they only do 4 a year, they have to cover a years overheads onto those 4 cars! So I'm guessing a load of your money is nothing to do with the car. Also WTF is going on with the cockpit size? There is a foot of space between the door and the seat? Looks like its just some GRP on another chassis.

I'm building a Haynes Roadster and I'm keeping pretty close tabs on every penny. Constantly checking the cost of parts and weighing it up against my time in making them. I'd say 20k is an utter rip off. You can get a factory Caterham for that money, which is going to hold its value much better.

blakep82

posted on 12/1/10 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
cheapest caterham is a 'caterham classic' listed as £13,300 on the website, which i think is kit price, and don't know if that includes vat or not.
plus all the on the road stuff, like IVA etc

i don't know, looks about right for a factory car to me

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

russbost

posted on 12/1/10 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
"You can get a factory Caterham for that money" -
Don't think you can, don't think you can even buy a Westy for that price - I think cheapest Caterham, built & on the road is around £36k!

Bear in mind nearly a grand of that is IVA/registration & transport/paperwork costs - it's far from cheap, but I don't think it's fair to describe it as a rip off.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Steve G

posted on 12/1/10 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Ouch - so that Phoenix is £23,500 with the VAT added!! Inclusive of VAT i'd have said it was about right but not exclusive - especially when its only 150bhp
BillHoll

posted on 12/1/10 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen this in it's early stages when I bought a silencer for my project off the guy. It is basically a seven type chassis hence the space between the door and the seat. The guy running it normally does small engineering work i.e. conveyors, packaging machines etc, this was just a spare time thing. Originally the car was to have MX5 Engine and gearbox.
TimC

posted on 12/1/10 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
I was being a rather provocative if the truth be known. I'm actually not surprised by the cost. I know what my new racer is costing in parts and that is seriously sparse in some areas.

That figure plus labour, registration and a premium for a crated engine etc plus some margin will get you very close I would have thought.

Isn't it utterly amazing how expensive these toys can get though?

Oh well... needs must!

What else is out there in terms of low volume turnkey sportscars not usually discussed here? Ginetta, Dare G4, Stylus..?

morcus

posted on 12/1/10 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
according to topgear magazine, you can get a built classic with a 1.4 engine for £15995, and a roadsport 150 will only set you back £21995. They ae OTR prices so that car is expensive for what it is as the equivalent Caterham is about a grand less.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

A1

posted on 12/1/10 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
on the road, the cheapest caterham is 21 odd, going up to 41. :O
jeffw

posted on 12/1/10 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
It's a Sylva Phoenix...seven chassis indeed, it's based in a Striker.

Really really not sure about the door though. 23K is a bit steep

scootz

posted on 12/1/10 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Au Contraire... the cheapest factory built Cat is the 'Classic' at £16,300 (Vat inclusive).

It's Evolution Baby!

matt_gsxr

posted on 12/1/10 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Even at £20k I bet they are making no money on them if they factor in any man hour costs. Well not when they are making only 4 year. They have lots of expensive bits (presumably so they can register them as "new".

Getting the bodywork decent from the Phoenix moulds is a lot of work.

Nice chap though, and I hope they manage to sell a few as they look nice (in my biased opinion!).

Matt

morcus

posted on 12/1/10 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Where are you guys getting your info on the cost of Caterhams?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

deezee

posted on 12/1/10 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
The point I was trying to make is that you can get a similar spec Caterham for around 20K. While I'm not bang on for the price, Its not a million miles away. Most people consider a Caterham to be expensive so by that comparison, that makes the Phoenix expensive. My opinion still stands, I think its a rip off. Obviously having more information will allow a more reasonable comparison, but its my opinion.

James

posted on 12/1/10 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
When you factor in man hours it doesn't seem that expensive to me.

My Locost cost about £5k... but it took 4 years!

If I'd counted hours of production time it's in the hundreds if not 1000s!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

jeffw

posted on 12/1/10 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure how much the equivalent factory built Fury is but I bet it is cheaper than Cyana want.

Bluemoon

posted on 12/1/10 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Not expensive for the hours required, we are to used to mass production or DIY ethos.. They are not going to make much money from that, at four a year including (cheap) overheads it's only going to employ one person full time I would guess (that might be optimistic!)..

It's scary if you cost the real cost of stuff you do at work makes you appreciated how expensive people are (something I have to do from time to time)! Not surprising manufacturing has move to countries with cheap wages..

Dan

[Edited on 12/1/10 by Bluemoon]

gottabedone

posted on 12/1/10 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
You can buy an awful lot of most makes for £32k................2006 M3 for instance.
OK a lot is about taste, the Phoenix is a lovely car, but £32k. What could you get from the boys at MK for instance if you said "i've got 32k and I want the best spec road legal car you can make me!"

The Caterham site are listing CSR260's or an R400 for that money!

Steve

andrewcutchey

posted on 12/1/10 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
23k Ouch.
Odd that it is MX5 based (I thought that it would have an MX5 engine) with a Zetec SE engine and the photos show the exhaust on the LHS!
I hate the doors, completely pointless.

DavidM

posted on 12/1/10 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Caterham prices here:

http://www.caterham.co.uk/assets/html/showroom/Caterham_prices.pdf

Classic from £12995 plus £2500 to have it built.

Roadsport with Sigma 150bhp £18195 plus £2500 to have it built.

I don't know if these are on the road and with VAT, but either way they make the Phoenix look expensive.

I know which I'd prefer, a Caterham every time.

David

Proportion is Everything

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.