Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: buying a car with Cat D damage history
asl

posted on 23/1/10 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
buying a car with Cat D damage history

Hi all. I have been looking at buying a c63 for a while and have just seen one which is a fair bit cheaper than the average due to Cat D damage (apparently cosmetic front end) The damage has been repaired.

I've googled Cat D and it comes back with 'Category D - Repairable. Probably non-structural damage. May have been economic to repair, but insurer doesn't want to.'

Any ideas what could have resulted in a 2008 c63 being classed as Cat D. It's an expensive car and doesn't quite add up......

Cheers

t.j.

posted on 23/1/10 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Did you win the lottery? Or robbed a bank

I would check the car over and over.
And also take a good look at the identificationnumber

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

Peteff

posted on 23/1/10 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Some cat D are stolen recovered and the insurance has paid out on them then they turn up so the original owner does not want them back, not necessarily the damage causes them to be sold on.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

plentywahalla

posted on 23/1/10 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Th insurers will sometimes not instruct a repairer and sell the car off as Cat D.

It may be because the car was stolen and the owners claim was settled before the car was recovered.

Also on a very high value new car the policy holder can demand a new replacement rather than a repair if it is a 'no fault' claim.

I would still look very closely into chassis damage and chassis alignment

scootz

posted on 23/1/10 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Bought a few Cat D's... nothing to be scared off. Could be a million-and-one reasons why it was written off.

Just satisfy yourself that the car repairs are good and you won't go far wrong.

Of course, you buy it cheap cos it's a Cat D and they can be hard to sell, so you will have to sell it cheap when the time comes and it could be a hard sale!

It's Evolution Baby!

asl

posted on 23/1/10 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I gave the guy a call to ask him specific details but he was very sketchy. He said he bought it as a Cat D and wasn't able to give me any info as to why is was classified.

I asked him whether there had been an autolign inspection report or VOSA had inspected it and he said that was not necessary as only vehicles with severe damage need it.

Just too many question marks for me so think I will just get the KY Jelly out, go into Mercedes World, bend over and let them give it to me from both ends!!!!

Thanks for your advice all

COREdevelopments

posted on 23/1/10 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
try and check for flood damage. If he sounds bit sketchy could be trying to hide something. A good repairer would take pics of damage (if any) before and after repairs. It puts peoples mind at rest. I would be giving it a good going over as its a very new car for a total loss. so look for flood damage. It could be that the engine could of sucked a load of water up or just been flooded so look for stains and fresh rust appearing on high areas under the bonnet and other places.

Rob

Ninehigh

posted on 24/1/10 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
A bump that causes the airbags to go off can write it off as it tears open the dashboard

Danozeman

posted on 24/1/10 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

A bump that causes the airbags to go off can write it off as it tears open the dashboard

Yep, Theres alot of newer cars that get written off especialy how things are at the moment. Airbags cost a fortune aswell.

If hes sketchy id steer well clear. If he bought it as cat d from someone else that had it repaired he would have asked what the repairs were.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Ninehigh

posted on 24/1/10 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
True, and he knows what the repairs are otherwise he'd say he doesn't know!

You could mess with his head and go look at it, point at something that looks like part of the repair and tell him that's illegal and he shouldn't be selling it

asl

posted on 24/1/10 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by t.j.
Did you win the lottery? Or robbed a bank

I would check the car over and over.
And also take a good look at the identificationnumber

Hi. Unfortunately no the the first and not brave enough for the second

Just sick of driving a crap road car so thought I'd push the boat out!!

asl

posted on 24/1/10 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
True, and he knows what the repairs are otherwise he'd say he doesn't know!

You could mess with his head and go look at it, point at something that looks like part of the repair and tell him that's illegal and he shouldn't be selling it

I probably would have gone and had a look if he wasn't so far away.

If anyone in Yorkshire fancies taking a punt here ya go ....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2008-08-REG-MERCEDES-C63-AMG-AUTO-SILVER-CAT-D-REPAIRED_W0QQitemZ260541735882QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item3ca97f63 ca

Thanks for the advice guys

02GF74

posted on 25/1/10 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by asl

.... but if you are not careful, you could be driving a newish and expensive crap car.

Have you conisdered getting the AA to check it out?

From my experience, they do a pretty through job - they ask you for any areas you are concerned about. They can measure paint thickness so can tell what has been resprayed.

Not sure why you are asking someone else to look at it as really for that sum of money involved, how can you consider buying it without seeing it??!?!

asl

posted on 25/1/10 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by asl

.... but if you are not careful, you could be driving a newish and expensive crap car.

Have you conisdered getting the AA to check it out?

From my experience, they do a pretty through job - they ask you for any areas you are concerned about. They can measure paint thickness so can tell what has been resprayed.

Not sure why you are asking someone else to look at it as really for that sum of money involved, how can you consider buying it without seeing it??!?!

Hi matey. Think you mis understood my post. I gave the guy a ring and he was so shadey I wouldn't even buy a door stop off him!!

I just put the link up just in case someone local to him wanted to have a look (for themselves)

Think that engine would be quite nice in a locost

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.