Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 24 Hour Karting At Le Mans, Anyone Fancy it!
orton1966

posted on 29/1/10 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
24 Hour Karting At Le Mans, Anyone Fancy it!

2 years ago I persuaded three friends that it would be good to enter the British 24 hour at Teesside. To say we were a little under-prepared was an understatement, the limit of our karting experience was a few arrive and drive sessions at our local indoor track.

We arrived the day before to register and collect our hire kart to find the carpark full of teams with full pit set-ups, generators, lights the lot. Our pit board was a plastic storage box lid with “IN” marked in repair tape and our only on board information was a digital cooking-timer set to countdown from one hour when set. We felt totally out of our depths

It rained for almost half the race, we had no rain suits and having only karted indoors rain was a new experience, as was racing in the dark! However we didn’t disgrace ourselves and despite a tentative start slowly picked up places. In fact by the end we were not far off the pace in either the dry or the wet, where we did struggle, a bit, was in changing and damp conditions. In the end we finished somewhere just below halfway and probably better than halfway amongst the hire karts. Not bad considering almost all entries were kart clubs or proper race teams.

Anyway long story short I fancy it again, as does at least one of my original team. What got me thinking was looking on the Teesside site and seeing that there is actually a Le Mans 24 hour kart race, yes at Le Mans (kart track) in france. OK it is about £2500 but split say, 5 ways that seems good value especially considering it includes kart, fuel, tec-surport etc.

So just testing the water, I haven’t even checked if there is still space but does anyone here fancy it!!

Steve Hignett

posted on 29/1/10 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have absolutely no money to take part myself, but depending on when it is, I would be happy to be a 24hr pit biatch for your team!!!

tadltd

posted on 30/1/10 at 01:37 AM Reply With Quote
I did that event a few years ago and had the time of my life. I'd certainly be interested in doing it again, butnwould need to know the dates.

Our team drove down from Glasgow in a rattly old mini-bus, had an out of date map, and avoided the toll roads because we were so skint! Needless to say we got lost, and only realised we'd arrived at Le Mans when I turned a corner to find the next one after it was marked with a red and white kerb. Realising where I was I straight lined it onto the Mulsanne straight!

Only thing is that our team was too big. I think we ended up with 9 drivers which really compromised our race with the amount of changes we had to do. I'd say maximum would be 6 drivers as it divides up the duration quite well.

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
orton1966

posted on 30/1/10 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
Dates

Yes I think team size is important, we did the Teesside event with 4 and we had no other support. So we did 1 hour stints. When you finished your own stint you did the next hour as support, watching for problems, giving encouragement etc, during this time you would also try and grab a bite to eat. Then about 20min before the next change over you would find and/or wake the replacement driver, make sure their ready and then help with the change over. During the night this gave you the chance to grab about 1:30 hour rest every 4

The mistake we made was not having somewhere better to sleep/rest, basically we used the back of the van amongst the stuff on the floor. With 4 the night was tough but OK. 1-hour stints were also a little long but times did hold up well through each stint and it worked well with fuelling, a fill just lasting a multiple of stints that meant we never had to break the routine. At the time we all agreed it would be nice to have one more driver to make it a little less brutal, certainly anything less than 4 would be very hard.

All things considered I think somewhere between 4 and 6 drivers would work, as stated anymore compromises either strategy or enjoyment, after all we all want to drive!!

Dates are 3-4th of July link is Here

bassett

posted on 30/1/10 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I will probably see you there as Ive done it the last 3 years running with my Kingston uni team. With the 10-15 of us its a wicked 4 day long event. Karting at night is frankly awesome everything hooks up so well. The one bad thing about the event is Teeside, my second year they tried screwing us over after one of our karts was smashed into by a independent kart and they asked us to stump up £500 for a new chassis which for a student team is a lot and you expect them to insure themselves. Last year they forced 3 teams into one pit garage when independent teams get one each and they didnt have our tv for lap times etc ready at the race start and at the same time didnt bring all of the gear(helmets, overalls, gloves etc) that they said they would bring for some members of our team. Overall though we have had 3 awesome years doing the event,we've made some good friends, camping is always a laugh and the racing is fantastic.

[Edited on 30/1/10 by bassett]

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

GaryM

posted on 30/1/10 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
I've done the Teeside Le Mans 24hr Race five times. Three times in the owner driver class (best finish 3rd) and twice in the hire class (best finish 2nd, racing with Nash amongst others).

All the front runners (in both classes) will only be changing drivers when their fuel tanks run dry. So to be competetive you really need drivers who can be on the pace for 1.75/2 hrs at a time (no mean feet).

It's a long way to go for just one 2hr race stint so a good team size is 6. This also provides some contigency for injuries/exhaustion etc.

Nash

posted on 30/1/10 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Oh the memories Gary.

makes me want to do it all over again.

....... Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

GaryM

posted on 30/1/10 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Neil

Get your Locost finished and we'll enter it into the 'real' Le Mans 24hrs

Gary

orton1966

posted on 30/1/10 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nash

So is that a show of interest

GaryM

posted on 30/1/10 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a suggestion.......

Why not organise an entry (or more) into a team endurance kart race here in the UK first and see what kind of response you get?

Nash

posted on 30/1/10 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GaryM
Neil

Get your Locost finished and we'll enter it into the 'real' Le Mans 24hrs

Gary

Hey... better still, yours is done so lets enter that (or your Honda!) and I will think thin to squeeze into the seat accordingly

I've just recently bought a Toyota 4 AGE engine for mine and a full roll cage. I'm rebuilding the engine first of course and the intention is IVA and then mod as and when.

Trust you and the family are well?

.....Neil

Southern Kit Car Club

Nash

posted on 30/1/10 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by orton1966
quote:
Originally posted by Nash

So is that a show of interest

Not for me thanks Orton. I'm to fat to be competitive now. Add to that it will cost about £1000 per person all in with race entry, travel, crossings, sleep and food, I'm going to spend that and a bit more on getting the car through the IVA and the 4 AGE engine rebuilt and fitted and the Full cage installed and some track days. hopefully..... blimey a grand on Le Mans suddenly sounds cheap!!!

Enjoy Le Mans mate.... Sorry that was silly YOU WILL enjoy Le Mans

...Neil

Thanks for asking though.

Southern Kit Car Club

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.