Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anybody work in Norway?
daviep

posted on 1/2/10 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Anybody work in Norway?

I'm a UK resident but I'm considering taking a job in Norway, I'm struggling to find information about how much tax and other contributions I will have to pay. I can talk specifics on U2U or email but don't really want to post my salary in case someone laughs or the wife sees it

I would phone the tax office in Norway but I'm in Ghana for the next month and only have skype which is a bit hit or miss at the moment.

Any help gladly recieved

Cheers
Davie

speedyxjs

posted on 1/2/10 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Id love to work in Norwyay. Beautiful country

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

m8kwr

posted on 1/2/10 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
My other half is Norwegian - with smug face!!!

tax is very high, about 28%, , i think it goes even higher over a certain amount.

Cost of living is higher also, you need a mortgage to get drunk.. A lot of people travel to Sweden to do their shopping!!!! The Norwegian government own the only shop that can sell wine, and then its only open certain times in the week!!!!

Cars are very expensive, kit cars are almost impossible to get approved unless you pay a silly amount of import tax. The other halfs Mom brought a car in Germany, and then imported it, the import cost was more then the car itself, and then they still saved about 4-5k on the same car in Norway.

We were thinking at one stage to moving to Alta, thats high up there, Nothern lights etc...

It is a very beautiful country, people are quite friendly, and most can speak English.

Will probably move there one day, as she will want to move back home!!!

If you have any questions, U2U or post them, and I will ask her in doors, or get her to look on the Norwegian websites to translate etc.

[Edited on 1/2/10 by m8kwr]

RK

posted on 1/2/10 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Sometimes, the scandanavian countries (Denmark for sure) allow you to live there for 3 years without paying any local tax on income. After 3 years, the back taxes are due if you want to stay. Keeps the foreigners out.
speed8

posted on 1/2/10 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Are you moving there full time or rotational? Also might make a difference if you are working for a UK company or a Norwegian company.
maartenromijn

posted on 1/2/10 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by m8kwr
My other half is Norwegian - with smug face!!!

tax is very high, about 28%, , i think it goes even higher over a certain amount.

Cost of living is higher also, you need a mortgage to get drunk.. A lot of people travel to Sweden to do their shopping!!!! The Norwegian government own the only shop that can sell wine, and then its only open certain times in the week!!!!

Cars are very expensive, kit cars are almost impossible to get approved unless you pay a silly amount of import tax. The other halfs Mom brought a car in Germany, and then imported it, the import cost was more then the car itself, and then they still saved about 4-5k on the same car in Norway.

We were thinking at one stage to moving to Alta, thats high up there, Nothern lights etc...

It is a very beautiful country, people are quite friendly, and most can speak English.

Will probably move there one day, as she will want to move back home!!!

If you have any questions, U2U or post them, and I will ask her in doors, or get her to look on the Norwegian websites to translate etc.

[Edited on 1/2/10 by m8kwr]

As I understand you'd have more income as well.

Do you have a job offer, or do you want o apply for something? I am in the ship repair business, and our Norwegian representative tells me that shipping and offshore are not the most profitable at the moment.

[Edited on 1/2/10 by maartenromijn]

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

daviep

posted on 2/2/10 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Thanks for all the replys. To answer a few of the questions.

1: I have an offer on the table at the moment.
2: It is for a rotational position offshore so I will be 3 weeks in the UK 2 weeks offshore in Norway.
3: It is for a Norweign company

Cheers
Davie

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.