Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX5
Airhead

posted on 5/2/10 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
MX5

Hi

I am going to build a Locost, having been converted from building a VW based sandrail.

We have a Mk1 MX5 for fun and really like the motor and the tight little gearbox, what other components would I be able to get from an Mx5 donor? Engine and gearbox, wiring loom etc are the obvious ones but what about front uprights, rear suspension etc?

Any advice appreciated.

Matt

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/2/10 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Matt,

I think you can use just about everything, the american verion of the 'book' is based on an MX5

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

iain b

posted on 5/2/10 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
i know you said you was building a locost but a few main companies are now using the mx5 as donors,mnr have just launched their verson which uses everything ....engine/gearbox/front and rear uprights /diff/drive shafts/steering colume/wiring loom/prop/and clocks.they then just fit this to their proven vortx chassis/bodywork......it is a very cheap way to build a top end car
Airhead

posted on 5/2/10 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies.

I'll try to get my paws on the American book Mark, thanks for the heads up. (BTW Workshop is imminent [I Hope])

Thanks Iain, I want the challenge of building the car from bits I can recover from the skip - it is part of the attraction of building a Locost to me. I saw Marks car round at Boggles house and was hooked immediately.

James

posted on 5/2/10 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
The "American Book" is by Keith Tanner.

On Amazon for a good price:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Build-Cheap-Sports-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0760322872/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265413430&sr=8-4

I don't know what dimension the US chassis is. In terms of sourcing bodywork, you might be better off building mostly to Locost (UK) book dimensions but taking suspension details from the US book.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

indykid

posted on 6/2/10 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
does anyone know what upper balljoints are used for the mx5 uprights?

thinking of making some new top front bones for my 5 but the balljoint's built into the wishbone. would be good to build something replaceable into it. new ones are silly money!
tom

radom

posted on 6/2/10 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
does anyone know what upper balljoints are used for the mx5 uprights?

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=105296

RK

posted on 8/2/10 at 03:59 AM Reply With Quote
As well as all that listed above, you also use: handbrake and cables, front and rear brake calipers, rotors, and if I am not mistaken (who me???), master brake, clutch cylinders and reservoirs. I didn't use the master cylinders or reservoirs. The lower track rod ends were from a Suburu, bought new from the motor factors.

Our man Keith T. (who is not American actually, although he lives there) used the seats and wheels as well. He may have used the pedals too; I can't remember.

http://www.cheapsportscar.net/

The steering rack requires some cutting mods, which are not legal to do here in my area, so mine uses one from a Civic.

[Edited on 8/2/10 by RK]

[Edited on 8/2/10 by RK]

[Edited on 8/2/10 by RK]

alistairolsen

posted on 8/2/10 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I used balljoints from a bmw 7 series.

My Build Thread

boggle

posted on 10/2/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
rite on matt

'bout time you commited to doing a 'real' project instead of that off road junk.....

hopefully your looksie at mine this eve will have given you some persperation eh?

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Nisseven

posted on 11/2/10 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
I was originally looking at a Nissan Silvia as a donor and have a complete car. However after considerable thought have gone for the MX5 suspension components although I will stick with SR20 engine and gearbox. I was told that a Toyota Landcruiser P/N SE2612 could be used as the top ball joint but it has an M17 thread. I hope to keep to the same layout as in the car which will mean a different shape for the bottom wishbone but also zero bump steer. I will also use the rear uprights but am looking into diff options as the MX5 one has odd mountings. Possibilities are the rear diff in one of the Mazda 4WD cars or the Nissan Silvia which I already have but havn't checked for compatability with the drive shafts. In my opinion the MX5 suspension is very good.
Bruce

RK

posted on 12/2/10 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen a couple of SR20's in these. You will definitely require a slightly wider than normal chassis to fit it. It takes quite a lot of room and gets very hot, so that Dax idea of the vented side panels is one worth considering.
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 12/2/10 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
I used the Mcsorley +442 plans and build custom wishbones to miata (mx5) track width. MX5's are great donors. I used Moog ES2074R top balljoints.

Chrisf cut and sleeved the mx5 shafts and welded them to sierra inners without issue.

[Edited on 12/2/10 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Airhead

posted on 13/2/10 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Awesome, thanks for all the advice. Just got to find a cheap MX5 donor now...

Matt

Steve Hignett

posted on 13/2/10 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Also, have a look through Bob C's picture archive and his blog. That's an R1 engined Locost with all MX5 running gear...

His build diaries are here:
http://freespace.virgin.net/bob.carter/automotive_projects.htm

And his photo archive is here:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=Bob C

[Edited on 13/2/10 by Steve Hignett]

THarbold

posted on 3/3/10 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Matt,

I actually found my way to this forum from a similar site in the US. On that side of the pond, I think it is fair to say that the MX5 is the most popular donor car. You should have a look at Locost USA Forum which I think should provide you with lots on using the MX5.

Hope this helps you,
Todd

[Edited on 3/3/10 by THarbold]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.