Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Diff Drive Pinion "play"
Nosbod

posted on 12/2/10 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Diff Drive Pinion "play"

How much play (if any) is acceptable on the rotation of the diff drive pinion?

Reason I ask is I am in the middle of changing diffs and the replacement I have found has slight play on it, whereas my old one seems spot on.

Should this be of concern? I didn't want to put it, only to find out after a few miles it's buggered.

Cheers,

Chris.

[Edited on 12/2/10 by Nosbod]

[Edited on 13/2/10 by Nosbod]

NS Dev

posted on 13/2/10 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
if by "free play" you mean in the gears as you rotate the pinion flange, then (its technically backlash by the way) it depends partly on whether there is oil in it or not.

If its dry, then there should be a pretty pronounced bit of "play"

If there is oil in in and you've turned it a few times first to get the oil in between the gears then it should only be fairly slight..

(not going for the full technical answer, no point, but I do have the full specs if you wanted them!)

Fact is, sierra diffs (suuming thats what it is) will usually be fine even with a massive amount of backlash, mine probably has something like 8mm at the outer diameter of the pinion flange and its fine, doesn't whine.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Nosbod

posted on 13/2/10 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks for your help. Its dry at the moment and probably has no more than 1mm of rotational play. I guess this will feel like almost nothing when it has oil in then.

I'll stick it in and see how it goes.

Cheers,

Chris.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.