Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Half hood fitted
Humbug

posted on 14/2/10 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Half hood fitted

I've just finished making/fitting my half hood, with inspiration and information from various people on here, including Surrey Dave, GeoffT and Piddy.

It's based on a Caterham hood, as I have a Caterham screen with the poppers already on it, so it saved some effort there. The straps and buckles came from here, and speedyxjs sorted me out with some Tenax fasteners.

The hood had some damage to the side window and was £30 including the ali hood sticks - bargain!

I cut off the side windows as there was no way it would fit the ST, which is much longer in the cockpit that a Caterham. I cut off the rear "drip rail" return and refixed it in line with the original top part. When I get round to it, I will get some Lexan and make some windows for my doors and line them up with that.

As the rear window is a zip out one, I stiffened up the top and bottom of the window with some bits of fibreglass tent pole.

I had to use both hood sticks to make one decent hoop, as I needed longer down pieces. I decided to make the hoop dismantlable (?) by riveting internal sleeving in the curved bits. This means I can put the hoop parts in the boot with no problem.

The fixings for the hoop are 6mm bar tapped into the roll bar. I used two handy plastic wheel bolt thingies to hold the hoops on.

The rear and side tensioning straps are polyester webbing, fited with Tenax fasteners: 2 tapped into the upper rear rail and 2 bolted to the inside of the rear wheel arch.

The pic shows various bits, including the rear both with and without the rear window in place. I am not sure how much difference it will make... to be tried out both ways.

[Edited on 14.02.2010 by Humbug] Rescued attachment 2010-02-14 Half hood.JPG
Rescued attachment 2010-02-14 Half hood.JPG

GeoffT

posted on 14/2/10 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Nice work - I can feel my title of 'Club Wimp' being slowly wrestled from my grasp. If you start talking heaters at the next meet I'll know it's a lost cause.

At least those dark clouds won't seem quite so threatening now - have you road tested it yet?

BenB

posted on 14/2/10 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good! If you're got a half top you really need a demister.... cold screen, humid interior, reduced air flow... recipe for misting at speed (been there, got the t-shirt, replaced the underpants etc etc etc)
Humbug

posted on 14/2/10 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Geoff - not been out yet

Ben - I've got a Caterham heated screen... but it doesn't work, at least as I've wired it up! Another job to do.

btw, the sewing was done on SWMBO's granny's 1920s Singer sewing machine - really good once I got hold of a manual, and easy to control... though I did get through 4 needles

Surrey Dave

posted on 14/2/10 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Good One!

Yeah , it's good idea to use a Caterham hood , that's what I should have done, as I too have a Caterham screen, saves a lot of fiddling with the front edge.

I bought a piece of perspex to pop on to the back of the roll hoop for a back screen , never got round to it Rescued attachment hood2sml.jpg
Rescued attachment hood2sml.jpg

richard

posted on 14/2/10 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
god effort humbug.
loks better than my hand stitched job.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
deanwelch

posted on 16/2/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
looks good. that must be the reason all the tatty hoods on ebay are selling for so much.....lol
James

posted on 23/2/10 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Look sreally good mate- well done!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

eddie99

posted on 23/2/10 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I tend to think that the hood ruins the seven, but certainly not in your case. Good Job!!!
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Vindi_andy

posted on 23/2/10 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
just finished mine this weekend (well the wife did) and fitted it. Its just a very basic top but will try and get some pics in the archive soon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.