Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which is best to clean with before painting?
MikeR

posted on 19/2/10 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Which is best to clean with before painting?

Ok, should i be wiping down with acetone or cellulose thinners before painting my chassis?

I've handed the chassis a hundred times and probably had wd40 etc sprayed over it occasionally.

Want something that will get rid of the grease / anything else prior to hitting it with the paint.

(fast answer appreciated as I've just ordered acetone and then panicked thinking it should be cellulose thinners - should still be able to change the order (i hope)).

mads

posted on 19/2/10 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
i thought you were going to get it powdercoated?

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

MikeR

posted on 19/2/10 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
yeah - but i figured i've got a week between jobs and a garage full of tools.

Its got to be easier to wipe, clean (emery cloth / angry grinder), wipe, let dry, paint than stripping the car, organising trailer and tow car, taking it to place, getting them to do it, bringing it back, returning stuff.

aka i'm cheap bottomed person from the higher lattitudes - thats cheap ass northerner to you.

(although i'm still tempted with blasting as i could prob hire a van for a day, get it in, get it done and be back and spend some of my redundancy - just struggle with the spending cash bit & worry about getting a poor job).

blakep82

posted on 19/2/10 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
i'd have thought cellulose would be better, but i recon acetone will do a decent job too

edit: but doesn't acetone leave a slight oily film?

[Edited on 19/2/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

speedyxjs

posted on 19/2/10 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
I rubbed mine down with wet and dry (all i had ), wiped over with white spirit and painted with hammerite (by hand so as not to waste paint)

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

r1_pete

posted on 19/2/10 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Either will be fine, but use paper towels first and keep chucking them away, that way you dont just spread the oil all over in a thin layer.

A final wipe with a thinners damped lint free cloth to get the paper bits off and away you go.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 19/2/10 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
acetone will be o.k... use it to really clean stuff at work (for the space industry). Nasty stuff though, get some good ventalation...

Dan

BenB

I seem to recall meths is okay but white spirit has oils in it (or that is what I was told in relation to cleaning the protective film off new brake discs).
Bluemoon

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I seem to recall meths is okay but white spirit has oils in it (or that is what I was told in relation to cleaning the protective film off new brake discs).

yes

MikeR

posted on 19/2/10 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
so acetone is ok - but which out of the two is better?

ie if acetone is ok, but cellulose is better, i'll get the cellulose.

(yes, i'm having a friday panic - 10 years to get this far, i don't want to mess up now!)

MikeR

posted on 19/2/10 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Either will be fine, but use paper towels first and keep chucking them away, that way you dont just spread the oil all over in a thin layer.

A final wipe with a thinners damped lint free cloth to get the paper bits off and away you go.

sort of implies that i should just get cellulose thinners then if i've got to use that at the end.

blakep82

posted on 19/2/10 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
i bought 5ltrs of cellulose thinners for £8 the other week, so not a major expense

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

wilkingj

posted on 19/2/10 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
What ever you use, take real good care of yourself. ALL of these solvents are nasty!

Please use the proper protective clothing. Decent solvent proof gloves eye shields, and have the place properly ventilated even if you half freeze to death.

These solvents are absorbed by the skin and can attack your nervous system.

It isn't worth injuring yourself through your own neglect.
Believe me... I've been there

[Edited on 19/2/2010 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
boggle

posted on 19/2/10 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
go to your local paint supplyers and get a tin of pannell wipe..

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Guihanos

posted on 19/2/10 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Each time I have to paint something I use Wine Vinegar. An old painter told me why it was the best to do but I don't remember. Anyway it always remove the oil and protect the parts until you spray it.

Don't try Alcool vinegar, just wine vinegar. I know it's strange but I will ask this old painter soon to tell me what is the reason.

splitrivet

posted on 19/2/10 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Panel wipe, its specifically made for the job.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Danozeman

posted on 19/2/10 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
panel wipe is good plus its not as bad for you as acetone etc.

As you have ordered the acetone you may aswell use it otherwise youl just have it sitting there for years.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

MikeR

posted on 19/2/10 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Suspect i'll use a combination of acetone pre chassis clean and panel wipe post.

The left over acetone can be used to clean the g/f nails - once i've persuaded her to start wearing nail varnish

(although getting tempted with the 300 quid blast, epoxy 2 part zinc primer, powder coat from the local blasting place BG Perry in coventry. Its hassle to get it to them and not cheap - but it should be a decent long lasting finish).

dhutch

posted on 19/2/10 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds fair enough to me.
- Ive just repainted the rear of my chassis, it was flithy, so i started with a pressure washer and fairy!

But i then used then some marine clean which seamed to work really well.

Daniel

James

posted on 19/2/10 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Did the whole chassis with The Tool (probably pleased the neighbours no end). Then white spirit followed by Cellulose thinners to take off any residue!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

David Jenkins

posted on 19/2/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
I bought 5 litres of panel wipe from a local car paint supplier - not that expensive. Volatile stuff, so I decant some into a small bottle for day-to-day use.

Steve Hignett

posted on 19/2/10 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
You should wipe your panels with Panel Wipe...

You should also pick up a small pack of Tack-Rags whilst your there, they help no end with stuff like cloth and paper bits and don't cost much. (a small pack will last years!)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.