Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anybody uses blacktop VVTI BEAMS 3SGE Altezza RS200
kitcarcollection

posted on 23/2/10 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Anybody uses blacktop VVTI BEAMS 3SGE Altezza RS200

Im converting my MK Indy to a blacktop VVTI BEAMS 3SGE Altezza RS200 with the 6speed manual.

anybody here doing this as well with the standard or aftermarket ecu?

Anybody got info abt the standard ecu in english?

Dutch kitcarcollection.

nz_climber

posted on 23/2/10 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
You have picked a great engine and gearbox combo, 210hp stock standard!

Have you had the engine in the car yet? they are very tall, I have a dry sump on mine and it just fits in!

I have one going into my car I am building here in New Zealand. I am wiring it up the standard ecu to start with. Another option is the apexi power fc. Other ecu's get expensive as you need the top of the line motec etc to run the vvti

I am using the standard engine ecu, body ecu and guage cluster.

Check out my build at http://www.lotus7.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26

and my build diary in my signature.

I have all the wiring information if you want it, and also created all my own diagrams with only the stuff I need.

http://aarons7.wordpress.com

kitcarcollection

posted on 24/2/10 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Indeed it's one of the finer atmospheric engines available now for zetec money, especially because theres a great 6speed box, all standard fit from toyota. I cant believe almost nobody uses them in the kitcar scene as the engines are cheap and instead people spend thousands on tuning zetecs to less performance than this engine has got standard.

i will be in touch and follow yr website. I think I came across a picture of your car allready somewhere on the forum.
For now I plan to use the standard ecu as I bought the complete Altezza, so got all the bits (thats, box, engine, ecu, exhaust manifold (to be modified) maybe fuel pump)
Fitting in the indy is no problem, will have to replace a few chassis bars but im used to radically changing kitcars and its my track car so it doesnt need to become a pearl. I want the engine diagonally left in the Mk indy like engines in a striker for the better weight distribution.

Your wiring diagrams could be very helpful, I will u2u maybe you can email?.

In case It wouldnt work out with the standard ecu, I also came across the idea of Apexi Power Fc. (414-T012 and T014 but is the 415 also mapped for this engine?)

Other options are Motec, Autronic, Adaptronic but I dont know any of these ecus.

I dont use the differential of the altezza. Will put a 3.8-3.9 sierra one. Now got 3.38 leftover from my bike engine setup but thats no use to this 6speed, as altezza got 4.1

[Edited on 24/2/10 by kitcarcollection]

Dutch kitcarcollection.

KJK

posted on 24/2/10 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
beams engine ( how tall)

looks like a good engine choice , could one of you tell me how tall ?
MikeRJ

posted on 24/2/10 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kitcarcollection
Indeed it's one of the finer atmospheric engines available now for zetec money, especially because theres a great 6speed box, all standard fit from toyota. I cant believe almost nobody uses them in the kitcar scene as the engines are cheap and instead people spend thousands on tuning zetecs to less performance than this engine has got standard.

How cheap? I suspect they aren't very cheap or available in the UK.

kitcarcollection

posted on 24/2/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
many accident damaged altezza's are available around the 1500-2000ukp mark in the uk. Than you got all the bits and pieces needed for standard 210 out of the box bhps into yr kitcar.
This 4th generation 3sge engine was designed by Yamaha.

be sure to get an altezza rs200 engine, so no lexus is250 or similar..

Size of engine is not that bigger than a zetec. Only the standard oil filter has a strange unhandy position. Dry sumps are available, also after market ECU that support dual VVTI.
gearBox is slightly larger than a t9 or mt75.

It fits an MK indy fine

its way cheaper than a much worse performing 4age setup with expensive adaptions to t9 etc.

[Edited on 24/2/10 by kitcarcollection]

Dutch kitcarcollection.

MikeRJ

posted on 24/2/10 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Not a single engine on eBay, and only 13 cars in the entire country on Autotrader. I can't imagine they are that easy to get to be honest. That said I'm quite liking the idea of owning an RS200, but I suspect running costs would be a little high.

£2k is also Honda F20C territory, not necessarily a better engine but at least they were officially imported in the UK so you have dealer support.

nz_climber

posted on 25/2/10 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry I don't know the height of the engine, I know its pretty tall, slightly taller than the SR20 with a full sump but lighter even thou the SR20 is a all alloy engine!

The RS200 is a great car, they are very reliable, just lack a bit of low down torque - not a problem in a seven as they are over 1ton lighter! But they love to rev standard redline is 8000rpm

Can't speak for UK/Europe, but here in NZ we get so many Jap imports there are so many RS200's around,
To give you an idea
Engine gearbox package with loom ecu etc is around $2000 to $3000 (900-1300gbp). Where as an S2000 package is ($6000 to $9000)
And a 4age 20v is probably ($1000 to $1800)

I put a dry sump on mine because of the funny shape sump at the front of the engine and to fit it under the bonnet without any lumps bumps or scoops. Gives good ground clearance too.

Gearbox is bigger and about 5-7kg heavier than a type 9, but 6speed gives excellent crusing rpm as well as a close ratio 1-5 for when you want to get there quickly. And has an excellent shift set up. Can handle a fair bit of power too, as the same box is on the RX8, and Nissan S15, and a few others.

Cheers
Aaron

http://aarons7.wordpress.com

kitcarcollection

posted on 23/4/10 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
here you can follow my conversion to the 3sge

http://www.kitcarcollection.com/used-cars/raceindytoyota.php

Dutch kitcarcollection.

kitcarcollection

posted on 4/5/10 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
its drivable. A few days work for optical things. Watch the cut-out in the scuttle for engine access!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuPKyYd7WeI

Dutch kitcarcollection.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.