Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: hayabusa sump and air filter
joe_88

posted on 27/2/10 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
hayabusa sump and air filter

hi i am looking for your advice my mk with a hayabusa engine is just about there but i need to find a modified sump ie better ground clearance, and air filter , supplers and price if poss cheers
jack_t

posted on 27/2/10 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
are you in Middlesborough or some other boro?

bob tatt

posted on 27/2/10 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
koining do a low swing sump which i have, although a word a warning if you intend tracking it the minimum you will need to prevent very expensive damage from oil surge is a full baffle kit for the engine and an accusump system. i am talking from experiense here you need tto talk to andy at ab performance he knows his onions, although hes not a fan of the koining sump i know he was tring to develop his own. i reused my sump as i had it and with the baffels and accusump its been spot on.
hope this helps any questions just u2u me.
rob

joe_88

posted on 28/2/10 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
hi jack theres only one boro . in fact i live in stockton , thanks for that rob yes i will track it and dont want to kill it 1st time out i had a look at the accusump system and not sure ? buy one and a Koenig Billet sump with swivel pick up and im not far off dry sump money,and er koenig these sumps are designed for drag bikes which dont do corners so i can see why hes not a fan, i will gave andy a call to see what hes come up with but thanks again. air filters anyone??
cosmick

posted on 28/2/10 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
use the standard Hayabusa air box. look at my photo archive for ideas. the standard air box can be used if you turn it through 180 degrees and change the entry of the ar from the bottom to the top.

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

joe_88

posted on 1/3/10 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
had a look at your photo did you start with the foam filter or the modified box and which is best, also found this cheep as chips any one tried one?pipercross http://www.kitpartsdirect.com/page9.htm
:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 1/3/10 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
nice to see another seven owner in stockton! Fairfield.. Anywhere near?
lococost

posted on 1/3/10 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Rilltech makes a wetsump+baffle plate for a busa
http://www.rilltechracing.com/index.shtml

Here's an example of height difference (on my gsxr1000)
http://www.elitesqd.com/sites/default/files/lococost/images/MK/DSC_10138.jpg

marc n

posted on 1/3/10 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
hi there
proper solution =here

having used accusumps, swing sumps and modified sumps, there is only one proper solution in my experiance

best regards

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cosmick

posted on 1/3/10 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joe_88
had a look at your photo did you start with the foam filter or the modified box and which is best,

Hi Joe88,
I bought the car with the Foam filter fitted and was very unimpresed with the air filter noise. It got on my nerves. I had also heard of people being black flagged at track days for drive past noise testing due to air induction noise.

I then started to research fitting an airbox to reduce intake noise. At the same time, I wanted to run a pressurised airbox as the Hayabusa was originally designed to have. I came up with the idea of using the original airbox to improve the power of the engine (back to standard) but the intake position was in the wrong place. This is where changing the intake from bottom to top came about. if you cut the original intake area off, then blank the bottom of the filter off, it fits perfectly onto the engine. Cut a 4 inch hole in the air filter and there you have it. I then ducted a collector straight off the power bulge to the filter and now I have a pressurised airbox. The performance has improved, the air intake noise is zero and the acceleration is better.

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

joe_88

posted on 1/3/10 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks guys I spoke to Andy at AB and he has not had time to develope a modified wet sump yet,and the same as you Mark the only garanteed safe way is a wet sump system he said ,but thats out of my budget,the rilltech sump looks uk any one used one on a busa? spoke to mk and they now fit one from holeshot to there own cars with no problems any one use it?and thats quite interesting with the air box cosmick most tuners dont go for for pressurised air on normally asperated as long as there is plenty and air is cool should work fine , but I like your thinking sometimes the way it was ment to be is best and its cheep
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 1/3/10 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I ran the Westfield (Pace) dry sump on the GSX-R1300, destroyed 2 engines, one definitely caused by debris in the scavenge pump, the second by unspecified dark forces, but oil pressure related - or so the logger suggested. I now run the Nova dry sump kit, with the water pump now something that looks like it should be in the washing machine. Works great.

I run the Rilltech wet sump on the GSX-R750 and GSX-R1000 engines, with no problems.

IF Rilltech say that they are confident racing Hayabusa engined single seaters with their wet sump, I wouldn't doubt them, that'd be your cheap, effective, solution. Simples.

MikeFellows

posted on 3/3/10 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Im in exactly the same boat, no idea what to do with regards to busa sump, randomly enough im just down the road from you in Marske.

my understanding was that the koenig sump with swinging pickup was designed with BECs in mind, but i could of course be wrong

but yeah shortened + baffled + accusump is similar price to a dry sump.

MikeFellows

posted on 3/3/10 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Just so you know the Koenig sump only swivels through 80 degrees, so yeah its drag bike based and thus no good for BEC.

so really im no further forward.

joe_88

posted on 3/3/10 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
hi guys it a small world surrounded by kit car blokes and had no idea, well i have a price from Rilltech $1295 plus shipping for there wet sump kit wow!! spoke agian to MK and they have been using holeshots wet sump for a year on there track/race car and they have had no problems, spoke to holeshot and they are very confident i will have no bother with there sump and its 400 quid but out of stock!but thats the way to go i thinks,MK have also used yhe pipercross air filter and its fine, so thats a double for me today
lococost

posted on 3/3/10 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
I payed almost half for my rilltech GSXR1000 sump. pretty steep pricedifference.
richard thomas

posted on 3/3/10 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I've used the Powertec shortened baffled wet sump on my Busa for 3 years - no probs, admittedly no trackdays though...perfect for road use IMHO.

£295 +VAT

http://www.powertecengineering.com/

http://store.powertecengineering.com/acatalog/info_7.html

[Edited on 3/3/10 by richard thomas]

joe_88

posted on 5/3/10 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
this thing is mainly for track and like most people I pushed the boat out when I went for the busa and I dont want to blow the motor every other week and fork out for another, I am going for the holeshot sump they also have a race car and run this sump with no problems
MikeFellows

posted on 5/3/10 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Well let me know how you get on, I should have my engine in the next month or 2

we should meet up and compare notes

joe_88

posted on 5/3/10 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
yes i am not to far off it all works been up the road in it just a few jobs left to sort then start thinking about test oh joy! give me a u2u if you want to meet up and have look

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.