Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what's in cellulose thinners?
blakep82

posted on 1/3/10 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
what's in cellulose thinners?

i've bought a couple of the cellulose thinners from halfords before, fine, they're convenient. but this time i decided to get a 5 litre drum of it. went to the paint shop, and the guy said it was fine for cleaning and spraying.

the halfords one smells quite nice lol and is perfectly colourless
this new one is rank, and slightly yellow. its says on the bottle 'contains toulene'. is toulene the main thing in cellulose thinners?

i'm sure its the same stuff, but surprised it smells different, and looks different. i'd thought the yellow would affect the colour of the paint? doesn't seem to right enough

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 1/3/10 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Toluene, also known as methylbenzene, or Toluol, is a clear water-insoluble liquid with the typical smell of paint thinners, reminiscent of the related compound benzene. It is an aromatic hydrocarbon that is widely used as an industrial feedstock and as a solvent. Like other solvents, toluene is also used as an inhalant drug for its intoxicating properties; however, this causes severe neurological harm.

Toluene reacts as a normal aromatic hydrocarbon towards electrophilic aromatic substitution.[3][4][5] The methyl group makes it around 25 times more reactive than benzene in such reactions. It undergoes smooth sulfonation to give p-toluenesulfonic acid, and chlorination by Cl2 in the presence of FeCl3 to give ortho and para isomers of chlorotoluene. It undergoes nitration to give ortho and para nitrotoluene isomers, but if heated it can give dinitrotoluene and ultimately the explosive trinitrotoluene (TNT).

So to answer your question its part DYNAMITE

[Edited on 1-3-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

tigerzetec

posted on 1/3/10 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
This is what i found on the stuff - don't know what it will do to your paint though......LOL (Toluene, also known as methylbenzene, or Toluol, is a clear water-insoluble liquid with the typical smell of paint thinners, reminiscent of the related compound benzene. It is an aromatic hydrocarbon that is widely used as an industrial feedstock and as a solvent. Like other solvents, toluene is also used as an inhalant drug for its intoxicating properties; however, this causes severe neurological harm)
tigerzetec

posted on 1/3/10 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
You beat me to it ...........
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 1/3/10 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache%3An-sSJnMkoh8J%3Awww.birdbrand.co.uk%2Fmsds%2FCellulose%2520Thinners.pdf+what%27s+in+cellulose+thinners% 3F&hl=en&gl=uk&sig=AHIEtbR8n5uFMsSqBzxg-WJpXv_JFPs-5A&pli=1

tigerzetec

posted on 1/3/10 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Try this then..................Toluene is a common solvent, able to dissolve paints, paint thinners, silicone sealants,[6] many chemical reactants, rubber, printing ink, adhesives (glues), lacquers, leather tanners, and disinfectants. It can also be used as a fullerene indicator, and is a raw material for toluene diisocyanate (used in the manufacture of polyurethane foam) and TNT. It is also used as a cement for fine polystyrene kits (by dissolving and then fusing surfaces) as it can be applied very precisely by brush and contains none of the bulk of an adhesive.

Industrial uses of toluene include dealkylation to benzene, and the disproportionation to a mixture of benzene and xylene in the BTX process. When oxidized it yields benzaldehyde and benzoic acid, two important intermediates in chemistry. It is also used as a carbon source for making Multi-Wall Carbon Nanotubes. Toluene can be used to break open red blood cells in order to extract hemoglobin in biochemistry experiments.

Toluene can be used as an octane booster in gasoline fuels used in internal combustion engines. Toluene at 86% by volume fueled all the turbo Formula 1 teams in the 1980s, first pioneered by the Honda team. The remaining 14% was a "filler" of n-heptane, to reduce the octane to meet Formula 1 fuel restrictions. Toluene at 100% can be used as a fuel for both two-stroke and four-stroke engines; however, due to the density of the fuel and other factors, the fuel does not vaporize easily unless preheated to 70 degrees Celsius (Honda accomplished this in their Formula 1 cars by routing the fuel lines through the muffler system to heat the fuel). Toluene also poses similar problems as alcohol fuels, as it eats through standard rubber fuel lines and has no lubricating properties as standard gasoline does, which can break down fuel pumps and cause upper cylinder bore wear.

In Australia, toluene has been found to have been illegally combined with petrol in fuel outlets for sale as standard vehicular fuel. Toluene attracts no fuel excise, while other fuels are taxed at over 40%, so fuel suppliers are able to profit from substituting the cheaper toluene for petrol. This substitution is likely to affect engine performance and result in additional wear and tear. The extent of toluene substitution has not been determined.[7][8]

Toluene has also been used as a coolant for its good heat transfer capabilities in sodium cold traps used in nuclear reactor system loops.

Toluene can be inhaled for its intoxicating effects. Low to moderate levels can cause tiredness, confusion, weakness, drunken-type actions, memory loss, nausea, loss of appetite, and hearing and color vision loss. These symptoms usually disappear when exposure is stopped. Inhaling high levels of toluene in a short time may cause light-headedness, nausea, or sleepiness. It can also cause unconsciousness, and even death. Toluene may negatively affect kidney function.[9]

Toluene has also been used in the process of removing the cocaine from coca leaves in the production of Coca-Cola syrup.[10]

Canada EH!

posted on 1/3/10 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Use in a well ventilated area, chemical also used as a fuel additive for carb and fuel injection cleaner.
smart51

posted on 1/3/10 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Toluene and Acetone are common ingredients in thinners. I've recently bought some new thinners and the smell is very different from the previous stuff I've had. It works just as well though. I've used a few different types and they've all been water clear though.

Ivan

posted on 1/3/10 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Quiet a lot of people use cellulose thinners as an octane booster as per the above - not sure what all the implications of this use are. But is ever I turbo my 4AGE Blacktop I will try it and see as the engines are cheap to replace
Peteff

posted on 1/3/10 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
It depends on the quality of the thinners. I buy gunwash thinners where my wife works for about £4 for 5 litres but the good stuff is available in different speeds, faster to slower drying for different conditions and the difference between them and gunwash is chalk and cheese and costs about the same for 1 litre. Use the cheap for priming and the good for top coat and there is not much to do to get a shine but they do also contain isocyanates so wear a decent mask.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

boggle

posted on 1/3/10 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
have allways found fast thinners smells of pear drops.....

doesnt taste like it thou....

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

g.gilo

posted on 1/3/10 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
thinners

sounds as thou you have gunwash. ok as long as the damp dosnt get to it, basicly reclaimed cell thiners?
blakep82

posted on 1/3/10 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
^ thats what i thought, but i said it was for thinning paint, he said it would be fine. hmm, never mind, seems to have done the job, but just surprised by the colour and smell.

lol tnt and octane boosters awesome

here's the results anyhow

this

to this

to this

seems good enough it'll probably all flake off again though...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Phil.J

posted on 1/3/10 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Results look like a garage explosion and snow!!!
MikeR

posted on 1/3/10 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
you missed a bit on the big square bit
Mark Allanson

posted on 1/3/10 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boggle
have allways found fast thinners smells of pear drops.....

doesnt taste like it thou....

Its not too bad with tonic and a slice

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

blakep82

posted on 1/3/10 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
you missed a bit on the big square bit

looks like i even sprayed the tube down the middle white

wilkingj

posted on 1/3/10 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Nasty stuff that can be absorbed by the skin and will attack the nervous system.

Be warned, take ALL the proper precautions, gloves, eyeshields, and cover up the skin.
Dont let it be absorbed into your clothes (and then get against the skin).

Solvents.... Excellent tools... but a BAAD thing to have attack you.

Please Take Care.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 1/3/10 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Nasty stuff that can be absorbed by the skin and will attack the nervous system.

Be warned, take ALL the proper precautions, gloves, eyeshields, and cover up the skin.
Dont let it be absorbed into your clothes (and then get against the skin).

Solvents.... Excellent tools... but a BAAD thing to have attack you.

Please Take Care.

ooh i know. full overalls, latex gloves, mask with new filters, everything

wilkingj

posted on 1/3/10 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

You will want better than Latex Gloves, they will melt in less than a minute

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 1/3/10 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

You will want better than Latex Gloves, they will melt in less than a minute

i just made sure nothing got on them

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.