Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Want to build a 750MC car
ThierryR

posted on 6/3/10 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Want to build a 750MC car

Hi all

new member here hoping to race in 750mc next year.

I have experience in karting but want to move to cars and have been weight up either stock hatch or locost...

I was hoping anyone could provide me with a basic guideline to build a locost for 750mc as a lot of the regs. just go over my head!

Also are there any suppliers of the chassis and cages etc?

basically does anybody know any build guides or lists of stuff i need, e.g. advised rads and suspension etc

Any help would be so appreciated

Thanks

T

big_wasa

posted on 6/3/10 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Do a search for a user called "procomp" here and on the web.

http://www.procomp.co.uk/

[Edited on 6/3/10 by big_wasa]

ThierryR

posted on 6/3/10 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for reply, only just realised theres a section for 750mc which it should probs be in sorry.

Will have a look now, as i say, want to do the build 9apart from bare chassis) myself as its part of the fun...and the best way to be able to keep it perfect and mechanic the car is to know how it all goes together

big_wasa

posted on 7/3/10 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
Ah but a nice guy and he will point you in the direction........
Fozzie

posted on 7/3/10 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to LocostBuilders Thierry...

I shall move this post over to the 'Race Issues' section for you......

The peeps who frequent the racing sections will be more likely to see your post in there.

There aren't that many 'book' chassis cars being built now, and the regs are quite specific, so you are more likely to get replies in the 'Race Issues' (General Construction)

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

hicost blade

posted on 7/3/10 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
I would defiantly speak to Pro Comp as far as I can make out they basically run the Locost championship, more than half the grid are either LA Locosts or set up by Pro Comp. Don't be tempted to buy one of these cheap ass £750 chassis' either as you WILL regret it....

And a race spec engine is going to cost you £2000 to be competitive.

I think I remember hearing It will cost a minimum of £10k a season without the cost of a car, that’s accommodation, fuel, parts, tyres and so on.

SMittell

posted on 7/3/10 at 05:21 AM Reply With Quote
How we started Locost racing

We were in your position two and half years ago. We bought a procomp chassis and built the car in under 4 weeks ( we did not do much else over this period and it did include spraying the body work on Christmas day).

We have been very pleased with the car and recommend talking with Matt and Ivan at Procomp.

Have a look at our web site www.imsm-racing.co.uk

good luck and come and have a chat with us at any of the Locost rounds. First round 5th April Castle Combe.

Ian & Scott

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GMPMotorsport

posted on 7/3/10 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Built & raced a locost from scratch, thoroughly enjoyed it but I prefer tin top racing so back in Stock Hatch, If I can help at all, give me a shout. Have got pics of the build not sure if I have put them on here though but will check later. Good Luck.....

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
progers

posted on 7/3/10 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hicost blade

I think I remember hearing It will cost a minimum of £10k a season without the cost of a car, that’s accommodation, fuel, parts, tyres and so on.

You can race a season on much less than that. I run in RGB which is supposed to be a more expensive formula and I have never spent anywhere near that amount. Never paid more than £1200 for an engine either :-)

5-6k should be a sensible budget for a season in locost unless you have a major crash and have to rebuild the car and/or have multiple engine blow-ups.

Cheers

Paul

ThierryR

posted on 7/3/10 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies guys.

Really 10k?

thing is, I did motorsport at college, and I work with my uncle, selling used cars, which also has a bodyshop and hes a mechanic.

So the build, engine rebuilds etc etc will all be done ourselves which should save money...hence managing to race 250 karts half well.

Interesting regarding the stock hatch as I looked at that as it looks cheaper to run, but i thought the racing and performance would be better with the locost, do they rave same weekends as theyre 750mc? if so whats the comparison in lap times?

Thanks

Fozzie

posted on 7/3/10 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look on the 750mc site...here

http://www.750mc.co.uk/racing.php

Fozzie

Richard Jenkins

posted on 7/3/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
£10k for a season? My budget is half that.

Locost or Stock Hatch? I am biased but I think Locost is definitely the way to go, FWD just isn't "right" IMHO. Times are comparable but I'd say the racing is closer, and definitely more slip-streaming, in Locost's.

Build or buy? I built my car using a Luego chassis, and a Caged roll cage. And you do know the car inside out after self build.

Suppliers & assistance? There's lots available, I've been helped by TMC Motorsport, Brian Randall (engine), Steve Hills (Luego), Brian Mitcham (Caged), Aries Motorsport, Allied Motorsport, and would recommend them all. And ask anyone in the paddock at a race day.

Fozzie

posted on 7/3/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thierry, you haven't put a location of where you are, but have a look at the 2010 racing calender on the 750 site. You may find that there is a race meet near you.....I would recommend going to a few meets, and I am sure that if the guys/girls are not too busy, they would be pleased to chat to you about it .....

Fozzie

TimC

posted on 7/3/10 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
I did the last 4 races of last year in a Stuart Taylor (now Aries car.) Aries would be my second choice after Procomp. Matt's (Procomp) chassis are the only ones that are guaranteed to be straight and run true as far as I'm aware. The alternative would be to go elsewhere and then pay someone e.g, TMC, Allied or Procomp to put it right. Whatever chassis you get, really don't bother going anywhere but Procomp for dampers - their dyno is unique in that its modified for applicability to light cars and makes all the difference.

In addition to a good chassis, you need a good motor that will rev well beyond 7k rpm. Everyone will have an opinion on this, and frankly I'm just not going there again!

The paddock is a great place to be. You might not get on with absolutely everyone but I found the vast majority of people helpful and above all friendly.

I'm sure that Stock Hatch is a hoot but RWD and open-top has to be where the thrill of driving is to be found, and you are likely to have an advatage from your karting - just look at how well Scott Mittell got up to soeed.

JFDI, as they say.

procomp

posted on 8/3/10 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Just a few corrections needed there for a locost budget to do a year.

10K Is the figure that is quoted to buy a second hand car for say 5-6K AND do a full season.
A full seasons budget can and is done by many of the competitors for 4-5K Including: All membership registration and entry fees - fuel for race car and tow car - a few spare parts Etc - and basic accommodation such as tenting in the summer and an occasional B&B. Now if your going to go testing for every round and stop in a 5star hotel your budget will increase.

Tyres a full set of tyres Inc buffing Delivered to your door is £200 From Polley. Engines built by reputable companies will range from £1500 - £3000 There's no real performance difference between them just the profit made by the companies. One rebuild mid season is usually recommended just to check everything is OK in general maybe a few bearings and set of new rings. That will be £500 ish tops.

There is also the TEAM championship within the Locost championship which allows two drivers to share a car and running costs. So there is a viable alternative to the full championship that still allows a cheaper season and still fight for a championship win.

All in all Locost is one of the cheapest and most competitive race championships with full grids and what is considered to be some of the closest racing in the UK. The championship is well supported by three manufacturers and many individual competitor with considerable knowledge of the championship who are always there to help and offer as much advice as you are willing to absorb.

Cheers Matt

Sorry quick non too exact description reply as work load is currently through the roof. But if there's any specific Questions regarding anything about the locost championship Feel free to contact me either U2U or email or Tel. And ill answer any Q's.

OH and like all the 750MC championships this year. IT'S ON THE TELLY.

Edit for the Telly comment. Lol

[Edited on 8/3/10 by procomp]

hicost blade

posted on 8/3/10 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi

Just a few corrections needed there for a locost budget to do a year.

10K Is the figure that is quoted to buy a second hand car for say 5-6K AND do a full season.

Thats what I meant ..................just shows how good my memory is

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.