Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Starting Blade engine for first time
david cromie

posted on 1/5/04 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
Starting Blade engine for first time

Tried to start blade engine and first thing happened the fuel poured out off the carb. vent line as fast as the pump was pumping. I would think that there is a problem in some of the float chambers ie float not closing the incoming fuel. switched of pump and the misfiring through the airfilter started. The engine I bought someone stole the ecu unit in transfer, and i had to by one of a motorcycle dealer in England. Is it possible the i have got the wrong ecu unit.the dealer got my engine number etc. and stated it was the right unit for the model. How does one know if it is the right unit.further to all this i changed plug leads over and the car started but was misfiring on one cyclinder. Anyone any ideas. Are the coils different? they are the ones that came with the engine. I heard the engine going prior to bying. it has 6000miles on clock.Any information would be very welcome. David
theconrodkid

posted on 1/5/04 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
bike engine plugs dont like getting wet,try swapping the missing cyl with another one that will prove weather it was the plug or not

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Hellfire

posted on 1/5/04 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
as with "TCRK" - the plugs are temperamental when flooded (even after drying). Looking at it logically, it strongly points to this if you heard it running before.

TIP: Make sure the boots are on the plugs very firmly - we found this a problem too

Hope this helps (HTH)

[Edited on 1-5-04 by Hellfire]

colibriman

posted on 1/5/04 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
hi there...

how long has your engine been standing since you heard it run....

mine was sitting for about 8 months ,when i started mine it was only running on 3 cylinders.i changed the carbs for another set after checking through the electrics (haynes is handy)and it runs fine..

good luck

colin

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 1/5/04 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
What fuel pump are you using? If its not a bike one, are you regulating it properly?
About the ECU, they are different for different years, not sure how to check what year youve got. If it has a serial number on it then maybe compare against others. What year is it, cos ive got a 97 and 99 ECU if you want those numbers.
As for plugs etc, what others said is true about flooding plugs, so try dropping another set in there to see how it goes.

Chris

david cromie

posted on 1/5/04 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
fireblade starting

thanks lads for all your help, will post later when i solve the problem. David
steve faunch

posted on 2/5/04 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
i had exact same problem. your floats are stuck,& jets possibly blocked, evaporated fule leaves a scum behind. take the bottoms off the carbs & clean them.

Jon Ison

posted on 2/5/04 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
WB Steve.............

david cromie

posted on 2/5/04 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
carbs flooding

tks. for all your help. Have cleaned all the carb. bits and all clear. Was checking today and all is well with gravity feed, when the pump comes on thats when the problem starts. The pump is the honda one which came with the engine so the pump is ok. I see in the manual it mentions a shut off relay, I do not have one in the system, any comments, how does it work? tks. again for all your replys. david
Hellfire

posted on 3/5/04 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
If you don't have a fuel shut off relay you must have hard wired it through when it was running before... all should be ok unless you have altered things away from original starting circuitry. I'd recheck wiring if you are doubtful.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 3/5/04 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
There isnt a fuel shut off relay as such, or you dont need one AFAIK, mine certainly is just hard wired into the ignition feed. The bike pump should just pump to pressure (about 1.5psi) then stop. When you turn the ignition on for the first time you should hear it pump fast then slow down and stop as the pressure comes up, you then shouldnt hear the pump again cos the only time it will pump at all is when the engine is running.
I wasnt quite sure if youve tried this already but if not try the carbs with a temporary gravity fed "tank", an M8 bolt with a hole drilled through the centre then bolted through the bottom of a baked bean can held up above the carbs worked for me whilst testing

Chris

[Edited on 3/5/04 by ChrisGamlin]

david cromie

posted on 3/5/04 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
fuel pump

chris. what year is yours, mine is 93 I have been told by a honda dealer that the later pumps have a built in shut-off valve and my type uses a relay, some of these dealers do not know a lot. David. Ps could my pump be faulty and not cutting at the 1.5 psi. It fills the cards and keeps on going and comes out the carb. vent at the same speed that the pump produces. David
ChrisGamlin

posted on 3/5/04 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Only the earliest blades had any fuel pump, later ones relied on gravity feed alone straight out of the tank, and a vacuum operated shut-off valve so if there wasnt any vacuum (the engine wasnt running) then fuel wouldnt flow.

Ive got a pump off an early blade which AFAIK is a sealed unit and doesnt have any relay or switch in it thats accesible or seperate to the pump. What does your pump look like out of interest?
Like this:

Mine looks identical to that one from what I can see, and I have no relay installed, just power to it via the ignition.

I have just had a look at a fairly crappy 93 blade wiring diagram Ive got on my PC (I dont have my Haynes manual to hand) and it looks like there was a relay in the loom, but from what I can see, its only to switch it on when powering up the bike and turn it off with the kill switch and/or ignition is turned off. I very much doubt it would have a seperate pressure sensing relay in the fuel system but one way to test would be to put a suitably sized bolt up the fuel hose and jubilee clip it, then run the pump. If it pumps up then stops then its pressure sensitive, if it keeps on pumping and starts sounding strained, then its probably not.

To test pressure you could possibly rig up some kind of pressure gauge to the end of the fuel pipe, then pump it up and see what it gets to before cutting out?

Chris

david cromie

posted on 3/5/04 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
flooding carbs

Tks. lads for the help, chris put a bolt in the line and the pump stopped released it and it started again. I have been told that there is a filter inside the carbs. and to clear it out blow compressed in the neddle jet hole to clear it. Ever heard that one? What is the best solvent for cleaning the inners of the carbs.?
ChrisGamlin

posted on 4/5/04 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
You can get proper carb cleaner to do the job from a motor factors, there's not a filter inside that I know of, but crap can still clog up the jets so cleaning them out with compressed air is OK, just make sure you don't blast it too much just in case you blow out a gasket or something delicate inside! You can also unscrew the 4 plastic covers on top of the carbs and extract the needles and springs, just to make sure they are OK.

Just to check, you are using the two browny coloured fuel connector points underneath the carbs rather than the breather pipes on top arent you? It sounds silly but they look very similar and Ive heard of somoene before connect up the breather pipes thinking they were the fuel inlet lines!

Chris

david cromie

posted on 4/5/04 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
flooding carbs.

chris. many tks. again for your help, just to let you know, I stripped every part of thr carbs, jets, needles, everything, let cleaner stay in all the holes overnight cleaned out and used low volume air to blow through system, re-built, connected up, bingo, perfect. Do no ask me what the problem was, but that cured it, blocking the fuel line to check if the pump stopped was a great suggestion. david
ChrisGamlin

posted on 5/5/04 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent, glad its all sorted

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.