Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New 230mph Merc
speedyxjs

posted on 10/3/10 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
New 230mph Merc

Linky

Personally i think it looks like a cross between the old vectra and a lexus.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

55ant

posted on 10/3/10 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
19 inch rims, carbon fibre wing and neon lights under the bodykit.....
dan8400

posted on 10/3/10 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Can it get round Cadwell faster than a well sorted locost / kit car ???

Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

omega0684

posted on 10/3/10 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
£430,000

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 10/3/10 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I just don't see the point...

There's nowhere to drive it at 230mph.
Few people have the skill to drive at that speed.
Few people have that much money to waste.
It doesn't actually look that good.

It's just a toy for blokes with big wallets and small willies who like to brag in the golf club bar. (about the car that is, not the size of their wedding tackle)

[Edited on 10/3/10 by David Jenkins]

JoelP

posted on 10/3/10 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO, its not awful looking. Pointless, but then lots of these fast cars are pointless.

I think its tacky that it says 800hp on the sill though, thats like walking about with a pair of trousers saying 14 inches on them.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

roadrunner

posted on 10/3/10 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
If it came screeching up behind you, i think you would get out of the way though.
Ivan

posted on 10/3/10 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'm amused that they limit the speed to 217 rather than 230 - would think that either of those speeds would be f dangerous on public roads - even if they're autobahns, and on the track neither would be more dangerous than the other.

Guess they just want to say "well we did limit the speed your honour" when some little rich boy with more money than skill kills himself and several innocents.

I must be getting old because I am starting to think that some cars are just stupid fast and are so sophisticated nowadays that they actually detract from the pleasure of driving fast - in fact you have to go at ridiculous speeds before they start feeling quick whereas in the older performance cars (Loti, Cobra's, GT40's and dare I say American Muscle cars etc) anything approaching 100 mph felt really fast and even 70MPH felt quick.

drhunter

posted on 10/3/10 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
...whereas in the older performance cars (Loti, Cobra's, GT40's and dare I say American Muscle cars etc) anything approaching 100 mph felt really fast and even 70MPH felt quick.

I was thinking that to myself today as I tootled down a country road in the tin top. 60mph didn't feel at all exciting with it's soft suspension and noise deadening. The same speed in my Stylus would have been exhilarating. There's no need to go a lot faster anyway. So what if you can do 200mph in a straight line down the motorway!

morcus

posted on 10/3/10 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Would be cooler as a sleeper. It is completely pointless but not exotic enough to warrant that price (Its still as practical as anyother E-Coupé).

I agree with the sentiment about feeling fast. Theres a twisty bit of road not far from my house where 40 feels really fast in my car (With its comedy body roll) but going really fast in a straight line isn't exciting, accelerating is but once you stop its very dull and just stupid and wastefull (Specifically over 100mph, not doing 70 on a motorway.)

As said, noone can safely drive a car on the road at 200mph, even in a straight line, because you can never know precisly what anyone else is going to do, and what happens when someone moves over in front of you at 70, or 60?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

David Jenkins

posted on 10/3/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I think that I drive faster in my tin-top than I do in the Locost. This is mostly to do with the impression of speed, which is far greater when your arse is 6" off the road and the wind is roaring round your ears! In the tin-top I float along and everything outside is "somewhere else" and disconnected. This effect is even worse when you're in a luxury car.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.